Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 08:51 AM

146 posts, read 241,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Obviously you never went to college or lived on campus....
O really? Tell me more......

Obviously you can read my mind and know my resume. Is that a perk to being an admin on this site or something?

Btw, ive been to 3 colleges and lived on campus my first year when I was younger and in school. There was no benefit at all to living on campus just more chance to slack off when you are surrounded by other students, peer pressure, drinking, drugs, etc. Commuting cuts out a lot of opportunity for that stuff, plain and simple. Maybe YOUR children were ready, but a lot cant handle juggle supporting themselves, dealing with 4-5 classes at a time, and having all that peer pressurr around them to slack off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,211,031 times
My 2 cents.
College is expensive and when the kids finish they are saddled with student debts and few jobs worthy of their education. It used to be the American dream, go to school, get a job, have a family and live happily ever after. Today thanks to our government the american dream is turning into a nightmare.
College is not for everyone but it can open doors and open your mind. I'm not working in the field I studied but I feel more enriched for the experience.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The bold is not a research-based response. Lots of people have lots of beliefs that have nothing to do with the facts.

You've given some good reasons for living in some sort of campus housing instead of an apartment. I don't like the idea of throwing 19 yr old kids at the mercy of the town landlords. Even when my daughter lived in a university-owned apt. building, it was better than when she had an apartment. They (the U) were more lenient with late rent payments, etc, and offered more amenities such as laundry rooms that took some sort of cards, etc.

On the other hand, I don't think this last has anything to do with where students live. As for the very last sentence, I don't know too many people who hung out with professors outside of class, period. I lived at college and I didn't. My older daughter went to a small residential college and she didn't. Even at Caltech, I don't think DH did. In my own experience, maybe once or twice, period, did we do anything outside of school with our profs. We'd have lunch with them sometimes in the med center, that was about it.
That's too bad I guess.....my husband and I had great relationships with professors, and still do to this day, our kids are forming those same relationships at their schools too....it's nice to be able to call them up and say , hey, I'm in the area, lets have lunch or call on them for a professional reference or whatever, my husband frequently teachers some classes for a couple of his professors-as a guest "professional"........most of our friends have similar relationships too...That's too bad I guess.....my husband and I had great relationships with professors, and still do to this day, our kids are forming those same relationships at their schools too....it's nice to be able to call them up and say , hey, I'm in the area, lets have lunch or call on them for a professional reference or whatever, my husband frequently teachers some classes for a couple of his professors-as a guest "professional"....too bad you missed out on that....most of our friends have similar relationships too...

- I'd really hate to teach my kids that paying rent late was OK????

Last edited by golfgal; 03-15-2014 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 03-14-2014, 11:27 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Really care to show some of those studies????

And NO school requires students to live on campus if they are commuting from HOME......
I posted a white paper with an extensive review of the lit regarding the CLEAR correlation between on campus living and gpa.

Additionally, again absolutes are foolish.

MIT:

"MIT policy requires all freshmen students to live on campus for the duration of their first year at MIT….We do make rare exceptions to this policy...Most petitions granted demonstrate an extraordinary need to live off campus. Simply living with a family member does not tend to gain approval"

So no, there exists at least one school that requires students to live on campus even if they could commute. There needs to be some sort of extreme situation to warrant commuting.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:28 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
Quote:
That's too bad I guess.....my husband and I had great relationships with professors, and still do to this day, our kids are forming those same relationships at their schools too....it's nice to be able to call them up and say , hey, I'm in the area, lets have lunch or call on them for a professional reference or whatever, my husband frequently teachers some classes for a couple of his professors-as a guest "professional"....too bad you missed out on that....most of our friends have similar relationships too...

I'd really hate to teach my kids that paying rent late was OK????
Lol, what? So are you saying anyone who is late on rent is a bad or irresponsible?

Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My 2 cents.
College is expensive and when the kids finish they are saddled with student debts and few jobs worthy of their education. It used to be the American dream, go to school, get a job, have a family and live happily ever after. Today thanks to our government the american dream is turning into a nightmare.
College is not for everyone but it can open doors and open your mind. I'm not working in the field I studied but I feel more enriched for the experience.
But to be saddled with debt is their choice.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:15 PM

146 posts, read 241,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I posted a white paper with an extensive review of the lit regarding the CLEAR correlation between on campus living and gpa.

Additionally, again absolutes are foolish.

MIT:

"MIT policy requires all freshmen students to live on campus for the duration of their first year at MIT….We do make rare exceptions to this policy...Most petitions granted demonstrate an extraordinary need to live off campus. Simply living with a family member does not tend to gain approval"

So no, there exists at least one school that requires students to live on campus even if they could commute. There needs to be some sort of extreme situation to warrant commuting.
Your posting top schools like MIT, which is a top 5 school actually. I dont think it would matter where those students lived or what they did, they are going to do good in school regardless. There are so many variables that its imppssible to say whether or not living on campus is better based on some study. Let alone one by the college, who benefits the most by it and uses it to support their live on campus policies. But common sense would be that a student has less to worry about living at home than living on their own. Its like a student with a job and being full time in college, albeit to a lesser degree. Its a lot to juggle. But if a student can afford to live on campus and is mature, then go for it. I would at least try the first semester how to get adjusted to things first though.

And living on campus is also based on full or part time and other factors. If your some 40 year old returning to college with kids, chances are your not going to be living on campus or forced to. Not everyone in college is some 18 or 19 year old.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Lol, what? So are you saying anyone who is late on rent is a bad or irresponsible?
No, just me.

In point of fact, my daughter was an adult, and not living with me, so I had no control over what she did. But I know she was frequently late with rent, b/c she'd have to pay a late fee. She was 20 years old for God's sake! CU was a little more forgiving, gave them a grace period.

Also, I did not mean to imply that no one in my family had a good relationship with a professor, as someone assumed. We all had profs we could ask for references, etc. It is not necessary to live on campus to have that kind of a relationship. However, I know few people who socialized with their profs. In fact, I don't know anyone who did. When DH was in grad school, his advisor held a party when someone finished their work and got their PhD, but that was about it. Everyone had their own lives. The lives of the profs and the lives of the students are very different.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-14-2014 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 02:17 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,940 times
Quote:
I STRONGLY disagree with anyone who thinks living at home is a better way to go. "Supportive" parents can be from afar too. Our kids have study groups they meet with almost every night for homework, labs, etc. They never would have gotten that living at home. Their dorms close for long breaks, winter break and spring break, but you can apply to stay on campus if you need. They can stay for free over the summer too if they are working on campus, which our kids will probably do, so that actually brings their monthly cost down to about $670/month...

Put it this way--how many friends, real friends have your kids made at school living at home??? How much do they do on campus--games, events, concerts, theater productions, etc. living at home?? How much time have they spent with profs outside of class?

It sounds like you're insinuating that commuters won't form the same intimate relationships or have the same opportunities as on-campus students. Like most things, it comes down to the individual and how you raised your kids.

I lived off-campus for the entirety of undergrad (with my family), business school and grad school and still formed several close, life-long friendships at each institution. During undergrad, I was still able to participate in research, hold leadership positions in different clubs (including a stint as editor on the school newspaper) and yes, I even got to spend some time with professors outside of class. I was even more active in student activities during grad school and business school, including rowing with the graduate crew club and participating in student government.

This isn't to say that one way is better than the other, but my belief is that how you raise your kids BEFORE they enter college can have a much greater impact than whether or not they dorm, or whether or not you pay for their college (if you can afford it), or any of a dozen things that parents worry about.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:39 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,617 times
The point of the thread is that everyone needs college today.

I wish I'd gone away to college and lived in a dorm. But what's done is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities