Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the cutoff for a good major based on rankings?
Top 25 2 50.00%
Top 50 1 25.00%
Top 75 1 25.00%
Top 100 0 0%
Top 125 or greater 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:21 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times

Advertisements

Let's use USN&WR (US News & World Report) rankings for a second here for this poll as it's the one most commonly used. Curious to see what's the cutoff for you guys.

When is a major, based on USN&WR, considered reputable or good in comparison to other schools?

Edit: I personally put Top 75. So as long as the major is in the top 75 in the nation it's reputable.

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 03-12-2014 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Edit: Adding vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
In a specific program, ranking higher than top 25, for sure. Depending on the field, there's between 1 to 100 top professors and they all flock to the universities which will provide them with the best resources. In a particular field, the top 5 universities are gold mines for opportunities to learn because they have several of the top professors (all having flocked there for the same reasons) while it quickly diminishes as you go further down the rankings.

USN is not the most accurate rankings.

Last edited by NJBest; 03-13-2014 at 12:18 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 12:06 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In a specific program, higher than top 25, for sure. Depending on the field, there's between 1 to 100 top professors and they all flock to the universities which will provide them with the best resources. In a particular field, the top 5 universities are gold mines for opportunities to learn because they have several of the top professors (all having flocked there for the same reasons) while it quickly diminishes as you go further down the rankings.

USN is not the most accurate rankings.
I agree on USN not being very accurate. I used it for this poll because it's the most common and some people DO make decisions for colleges based on them. I didn't use them to pick my university, and I hope not many others did. But if you had to believe them...

I understand your point. Actually, I should wish I could change my vote now to top 50 but it's too late. 25 might be too few, especially if a smaller school has more regional reputation.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I updated my last post as the wording could have been confusing.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:40 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Let's use USN&WR (US News & World Report) rankings for a second here for this poll as it's the one most commonly used. Curious to see what's the cutoff for you guys.

When is a major, based on USN&WR, considered reputable or good in comparison to other schools?

Edit: I personally put Top 75. So as long as the major is in the top 75 in the nation it's reputable.
Reputable for what purpose? For the vast majority of any kind of degree programs, it makes absolutely no difference in the real world.

US News has a list for best Grad Schools in Library & Information studies. LMAO! You think anybody gives a crap or even knows about rankings in LS if there's even jobs available in that field? They rank 50 schools in that. There's probably not even 50 jobs available in that field nationwide.

Or they rank 100 programs for Sociology. In which, going to a highly ranked undergrad school might be useful for obtaining additional higher degrees which will be of further uselessness in the real world.

There's also a ranking for Interior Design. The two people who know about that ranking are probably the two people who wrote the ranking.

If you are working on Wall Street, or Big 4 Accounting, or have a doctorate and want to get a tenure track position, it matters. Some. But overall school reputation will help more a lot more. If you have a doctorate from Yale, you're more likely to get tenure ... somewhere ... maybe.

Otherwise, major or prepare for grad school in something super practical where you can find work and don't worry about rankings.

Last edited by jobaba; 03-13-2014 at 03:56 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 01:30 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
I think you are confusing "reputable" with "exclusive."

Any program that is accredited by the appropriate boards is reputable.

A highly ranked program is exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities