Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
1. Why don't they work hard in high school to get funding? And if they don't should we really subsidize education for students who haven't shown potential?

2. Why should the government and taxpayers be on the hook for students who statistically, drop out of college before completing and/or progressing innovation and research?
because so many jobs require a degree even to be entry level.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
because so many jobs require a degree even to be entry level.
That's a major part of the problem. Even so, it's not the government's responsibility to intervene. The constitution empowers the government to promote the progression of science and arts. Funding students to go to college so they can get a private sector job does not support this constitutional directive. We should reassess how funding is used in higher education.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:12 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
You are correct aboutthe PA program most people graduate with a BS in science or excersise science the Graduate program is 27 months in most schools...
The conversation was about whether or not all PA programs are graduate programs, not about what most people currently do. ARC-PA is requiring all PA programs to transition to masters programs by 2020 because there used to be and there still are some certificate programs at community colleges and bachelors programs in PA. Yes, there is a difference between post-baccalaureate and post-graduate.

http://www.arc-pa.org/documents/Degr...10.2011fnl.pdf

Take Red Rocks Community College, for example. They offer a post-baccalaureate certificate in PA studies, but their accreditor says they have awarded 0 graduate degrees. They are only authorized to award certificates and associates degrees. They aren't even authorized to award bachelors.
http://www.ncahlc.org/component/com_...,/instid,1049/

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-24-2014 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: removed comment regarding another poster.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
That's a major part of the problem. Even so, it's not the government's responsibility to intervene. The constitution empowers the government to promote the progression of science and arts. Funding students to go to college so they can get a private sector job does not support this constitutional directive. We should reassess how funding is used in higher education.
I think the companies requiring degrees for entry level is more so an effect of the promise of college than a cause for it (as well as being an employer's market.) You see even associates (in the least) required for positions that do not ask for a bachelor's.

I do agree though, we need to look at changing the funding of college through government as well as removing the accessibility of loans.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:49 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
1. Why don't they work hard in high school to get funding? And if they don't should we really subsidize education for students who haven't shown potential?

2. Why should the government and taxpayers be on the hook for students who statistically, drop out of college before completing and/or progressing innovation and research?
1. Primarily because of competition. Top performing high school students still compete for scholarships and merit aid at many public universities and for acceptance into private universities where scholarships and merit aid are automatic.

Potential is a broad term that can be applied differently to varying situations.

2. I agree if the students do indeed dropout, however, I am of the mindset that an educated society is ultimately the best society. It is no secret that the majority of those in college these days are not there to progress anything but their own potential paychecks. Sad, but true.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:

I've said this several times on this forum (though not in a while.) I grew up in the years before No Child Left Behind but New York always had standardized tests (the Regents) dating back to the 90's the latest. In fact, the only time when the neighbors in back of us was quit was during finals due to studying for the Regents. In middle school, I had a few regents (French and US history in 8th grade I remember for a fact.) By 10th grade and 11th grade, I was burnt on the New York States Regents and even though I had two/three years left, I was tired of high school. I wasn't doing my best work because I was burnt out. If you went by high school, you would likely think I didn't have potential. Compared to college where I carried a 3.34 GPA during my associates and a 3.33 GPA in my bachelor's.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:10 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
I remember standardized testing almost 20 years before NCLB became policy.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I've said this several times on this forum (though not in a while.) I grew up in the years before No Child Left Behind but New York always had standardized tests (the Regents) dating back to the 90's the latest. In fact, the only time when the neighbors in back of us was quit was during finals due to studying for the Regents. In middle school, I had a few regents (French and US history in 8th grade I remember for a fact.) By 10th grade and 11th grade, I was burnt on the New York States Regents and even though I had two/three years left, I was tired of high school. I wasn't doing my best work because I was burnt out. If you went by high school, you would likely think I didn't have potential. Compared to college where I carried a 3.34 GPA during my associates and a 3.33 GPA in my bachelor's.
Heck yeah! We took standardized tests back in the 60s, though not so many.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:58 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Sure, they happened every few years, like grades 3, 8, 11 I think in my experience.

Now they seem to be every year.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Exactly, and it hasn't made education any better through expanding it like NCLB and Race to the top has. I've found they offer no value and just burn out students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities