Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:22 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times

Advertisements

Don't feel too bad, I'm in my mid 30s and have never made more than $10 an hour, have little to no friends, and never had a girlfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 01:30 PM

746 posts, read 866,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Don't feel too bad, I'm in my mid 30s and have never made more than $10 an hour, have little to no friends, and never had a girlfriend.
That doesn't make me feel better because I don't want to be like that, no offense.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
Do people generally have a problem with someone they don't know talking to them? It was like that in high school, especially with a lot of girls!
No. Just sounds like you live somewhere in the northeastern part of the country.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 PM

746 posts, read 866,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
No. Just sounds like you live somewhere in the northeastern part of the country.
I live somewhere in Texas.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:32 PM

564 posts, read 448,681 times
Well, it's two years later. I wonder how this guy did or is doing. I didn't read all the posts. Did anyone suggest a craft, electrician, plumber? They can make as much or more than many college grads these days. And you don't have a huge loan to pay off when you get that degree.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:39 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Have you gone to your state's unemployment office and see if they have career counselors?

Try taking the Myers-Briggs test (available free online) and see what personality type you have and see what jobs fit that personality type.

Then you'll have a broad idea where you can go.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
TX is an EZ state to find work (but not a very high paying state)

Learn a skill (labor / activity will keep your mind off the issues that you mention (of which you CHOOSE to allow to control you))

Work hard at something you love and provides a creative outlet (Stone Mason is a good gig in TX)

them... take that skill to a high paying income tax free state (WA or AK)

eventually (after making really big bucks) you will be ready for college.

I've met many very cool, advanced & capable & secure 50 and 60 yr old virgins. (and older of course).

The LAST thing you want when you are YOUNG and insecure is a kid!!! and a spouse !!! (without a job...)

Old 06-04-2018, 09:04 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
I can but I can't make a lot without college. Also in 2020 I read you'll have to have a college degree to be able to make more than minimum wage. I'd like to go to college now so I could enjoy it, its said the first two years are when it all happens, so if you transfer later you might miss out and end up alone because everyone locks in a group of friends by the time. Finding single women then, I don't even know about that. You need college or the military to get anywhere in life in this country. That's what the news says. They stress you need college though.
So get a job at a place like Walmart, which helps pay for tuition for its' students. My niece works at a hospital and her degree is also being paid for by her employer. If all you're going to do is look for the obstacles, then you won't make it.

There are many blue collar jobs that you can make a lot with, too. My fiancé works in a skilled trade installing tile and he can't find help. There are big national companies in the same boat, I have seen hiring bonuses and offers of on the job training.

You have never told us a thing about what you're good at, what you're not good at, and what you actually want.

It sounds like the military will be too much stress for you, frankly. I don't think you should go to college with the aim of meeting women. If you had a problem meeting women in high school college will not be any different. If you weren't a popular party type in high school, you won't be in college either. Not saying this to discourage you but just so you can take that off the table in your decisions. People with issues will do better trying to meet people in Meetup groups or similar where you can get to know people one on one.

Decide your career, decide your social life, don't try to combine them.

Do you get any sort of counseling? Have you ever had vocational counseling?

Old 03-11-2020, 04:41 PM

356 posts, read 284,750 times
Quote:
I am not willing to move to another country.

okay, well, even if you were to move to another country, how would your situation differ?
your thinking is scattered. and if you do have issues, do you have a diagnosis? are you on meds?

the country is not your problem. if you can't afford college there are still opportunities, but it's up to you to find them. what about training programs for plumbing or welding? college isn't for everyone, but it doesn't mean you will end up living in a box.

figure out what you need to do to get your head together and go out and find your life.
you are capable of so much more than you think. the only limitations you have are the ones you place on yourself. good luck to you.

ETA: sorry, i see now you have anxiety, OCD. you NEED to see your doc and test for the MTHFR gene mutation. do a search on google and read about it. it is fairly common. i have this myself. i now take a compounded supplement of folate and B vitamins and have been anxiety free for over two years. be well; you're too young to give up on yourself.

Last edited by kateskouros; 03-11-2020 at 04:50 PM..

Old 04-07-2020, 03:51 PM

272 posts, read 130,878 times
Default Edit:45

College is not for everyone. College may not be for you at your age. I can understand what you’re explaining. Being older and a lot more experienced, maybe I can lend some perspective.

I dropped out of high school. I was angry, drunk, and stupid at the time. I moved out when I was 18 (I’m currently 54 years old). At the time I dropped out, President Reagan was remaking the United States military. I looked at enlisting. I got polite smiles. I got laughed at. The military didn’t want me. I knocked about. I worked dead end jobs. I learned things the hard way. I had some hard times. I went hungry many times. More than once I went as long as two weeks with no food.

I worked as a janitor. I drove a truck. I fueled airliners. I worked in a factory. I worked as a manager and a trainer. I waited and bussed tables in a hotel. I worked in a record store. I helped paint airplanes. I towed airplanes. I threw suitcases. I made keys and engraved gifts. I drove a taxi. I helped kids with after school programs. I was a licensed exterminator. I volunteered with at risk boys for 11 years. I worked as many as three jobs at once. I learned to have fun. Because I was always broke, I learned to work on my own car, sometimes alongside the freeway. I met and worked with some awesome and very memorable people.

So what, right? Working for minimum wage isn’t the end of the world. I learned how to work hard. I learned to appreciate what I earn. I learned to do without when I have to.

Remember me writing that college may not be for you right now? Higher education wasn’t for me until I was 46 years old. I went to college and earned my associates degree. I applied to and was accepted to nursing school. I graduated from nursing school and earned my nursing license.

I work now as a nurse. I feel that I am a better nurse because of all my experience earning minimum wage. I get people. I understand where they are coming from and where they have been. I am a nurse that knows how to empty the trash in my department. I know how to empty the laundry hampers. If the floor has a mess, I know how a broom and a mop work. I know how to listen.

Living life the hard way taught me compassion. I learned how to be gentle AND stern at the same time. I learned I have patience I didn’t know I possessed.

Education isn’t the end all and be all of adult life. Give yourself a chance.

Edit:

The School of Hard Knocks taught me:

How to live with a roommate.
How to wash and fold my own laundry.
How to grocery shop.
How to cook ... I’m a damned good cook!
How to do dishes.
How to balance a checkbook.
How to live inside my own means.
How to pay cash.
And finally, just how damned tough I really am.
You’ve got this. I have faith in you.

Last edited by Diesel23; 04-07-2020 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: I want to add more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities