Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:39 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times

Advertisements

The costs in the US amaze me, its "free" (obviously its not free, its paid for by taxes) here and I definitely think that's the right way to do it. Have entrance exams so you're not paying for everyone to attend but only the ones smart enough and motivated enough to make it worth the money. Its good to invest in the education of the young.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:12 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian Cap View Post
As maciesmom said, nothing is free. The government isn't a money-making business. It can't pay for anything without taking money from its citizens or selling debt or creating debt from thin air. So what you're really asking is whether your neighbors should pay for your daughter's higher learning, or whether your government should enslave future generations to pay for it.

In an ideal world, everyone would pay his own way, no one would be subjected to theft, and charity would never be coerced.
I'm not going to put words in your mouth, but I will say this: a lot of people that think like you do on the above issue also have absolutely no problem allocating billions of unaccountable dollars to the military.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:34 AM

30,506 posts, read 16,206,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I'm not going to put words in your mouth, but I will say this: a lot of people that think like you do on the above issue also have absolutely no problem allocating billions of unaccountable dollars to the military.
I'm wondering what you base that statement on.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:52 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Only if they are going to start restricting who can attend to those that can be successful at it. That would pretty much be the people who already go for free or lower rates because they are receiving merit scholarships.

What I do think should be free is up to two years of vocational education.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
When you look at the numbers, it's better for everyone if more taxpayer dollars went towards the funding of biotech students at JHU while less taxpayer dollars went to propping up low tier public institutions.
Oh please. When you look at the numbers just as much, if not more, beneficial research comes from places like the University of (fill in the name of a state), which give you more bang for your buck. Educational snobbery slays me.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:00 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times
The European model isn't bad. But this is America where we don't believe the state should step in and create a barrier to what you can/can't be successful in. A lot of people flunk college and drop out the first time only to come around and ace it the second time.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
The costs in the US amaze me, its "free" (obviously its not free, its paid for by taxes) here and I definitely think that's the right way to do it. Have entrance exams so you're not paying for everyone to attend but only the ones smart enough and motivated enough to make it worth the money. Its good to invest in the education of the young.
That will never fly in the US.
Our K-12 advocates that everyone is a winner and everyone will be college ready when they graduate.
All are on an academic track and strongly encouraged to go to college.

And then if you did test you'd get cries of discrimination and lack of "diversity" in the results.

Nah..leave it the way it is. The burden of debt and repayment is on the shoulders of the person who took the government loan.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
if college was free, then there would be professional student, people taking worthless classes just to get a free ride. there got be some skin in the game. yes i know its expensive and i totally agree with you. and the degrees mills don't help.

i have no answer, but i don't believe anything should be free

Old 03-23-2014, 08:20 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That will never fly in the US.
Our K-12 advocates that everyone is a winner and everyone will be college ready when they graduate.
All are on an academic track and strongly encouraged to go to college.

And then if you did test you'd get cries of discrimination and lack of "diversity" in the results.

Nah..leave it the way it is. The burden of debt and repayment is on the shoulders of the person who took the government loan.
Well maybe its time you lot changed the way you think about higher education - not everyone is cut out for University so not everyone should go, but it makes sense to make it affordable/free to the ones who really can do well so as not to limit social mobility.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:30 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
i also believe public k-12 should not be free. and no not with tax money but parents should have to write a check. their kid acting up or not passing, well either parent paying for bad teacher or parent pays for babysitting. parent should have some skin in the game. you want betted education in high school, you should pay for it,

why should retired or childless people have to pay for schools in their property tax, it could go to better things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities