Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:17 AM

59 posts, read 126,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I'm not going to put words in your mouth, but I will say this: a lot of people that think like you do on the above issue also have absolutely no problem allocating billions of unaccountable dollars to the military.
You would be wrong, in my case. Philosophically, I oppose the existence of the State. In practical terms, I think the State is a necessary evil. I don't support the unbridled growth of the military, or the military industrial complex. I do think it is necessary to maintain some defensive capability, but I don't believe the US needs to maintain a military presence all over the world, and I don't believe it is proper to invade other countries or to wage war.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:25 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,401,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Books only contain textbook material. What about all the other learning that goes into a college education? The tacit knowledge from working with top experts in the field, the learning from debates, research, and writing... these are things that cannot be self-taught and require a significant amount of guidance.

Fortunately, while the tuition looks high, it is greatly reduced by merit-based rewards.
If working with experts is required for the course then people should not be able to pass the tests, right?

But now we have computer simulations on cheap computers that did not exist 20 years ago.

EveryCircuit by Igor Vytyaz
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ycircuit&hl=en

Since I don't know chemistry, I don't know how good any chemistry simulators are.

psik

Old 03-23-2014, 11:35 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,016,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
If working with experts is required for the course then people should not be able to pass the tests, right?

But now we have computer simulations on cheap computers that did not exist 20 years ago.

EveryCircuit by Igor Vytyaz
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ycircuit&hl=en

Since I don't know chemistry, I don't know how good any chemistry simulators are.

psik
Those tests and simulations only test on existing problems and solutions. They don't measure a student's ability to solve new and unknown problems. College might as well be an extension of high school if the only thing you want to get out of it is the ability to pass textbook material tests.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 AM

30,164 posts, read 23,560,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
In an ideal world, should the government pay for all of higher learning? My daughter is in college and she has a large debt on a degree and even assuming she manages to land a good job it seems absurd she'll be required to spend about $400 a month to pay it back for the next 10-20 years. I have heard it's free in many European countries, why not the U.S the world's only super power? They can afford hundreds of billions to kill innocent people yet can't afford to at the very least make college free? How backwards is that?
No, it should not be free. I have no interest in paying for someone to get a Master's in Sports Psychology, or Women's studies, or Human Resources. Our economy gains nothing by someone with a useless degree.

College is not about being comfortable and well off. College kids have lived very plainly, surviving on cheap food, for a very, very long time. Having a student loan debt, or living a poorer lifestyle than what one is used to is not anything new for college students.

It's actually a very good time for people to learn, early on, that their decisions do have consequences. It is up to them to make smart decisions, or they suffer later on for the decisions that they made. They get to learn, really quick, that they may not get everything that they want, when they want it, how they want it, or even where they want it, but can still learn how to make decisions that will lead them in the right direction. It's a great time to learn how to budget. It's a great time to learn that life isn't fair. It's a great time to learn how to live uncomfortably. Not only do they learn what they learn in class, they learn valuable life lessons. If we continue to bail them out, where does it stop?

"Why can't we make kids lives free for the first 30 years? I mean, it's hard, and they have tuition loans to pay, and they have to find a good job, and they have to get established, and start making money...it's not fair, we should pay for that..." Seriously, where does it stop?

At 18 years of age, they are adults. It is time for them to make adult decisions, no matter how much they think it sucks, no matter how hard those decisions are. In the end, they will come out stronger people, if they make some good choices.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,779,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Go read up on the elite High Schools in NYC where you have to test to gain entrance.
They have "diversity" issues and DeBlasio intends to fix that. I'm calling it as I read it.
Black and Latino students pass those tests. The problem is something like 5 or 6 times as many students pass the threshold as there are slots. The original pool of qualifiers is diverse. So the solution the schools use is to take the top scorers. And who are the top scorers? That's the problem. Why is that a problem?

Stereotype threat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Students of color tend to score lower that their actual academic talent level on high stakes standardized tests. The tests alone are not indicators of academic talent for all students.

But of course it gets reported as if there are no students "smart enough" to qualify, and people jump on it because it confirms popular assumptions, while simultaneously demoralizing smart black and brown kids even further, helping perpetuate the phenomenon. It is a vicious circle.

Stuff like this is why I hate the world sometimes.

Anyway, I don't think college should be free, just not bank-breakingly expensive.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:40 AM

30,164 posts, read 23,560,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
The costs in the US amaze me, its "free" (obviously its not free, its paid for by taxes) here and I definitely think that's the right way to do it. Have entrance exams so you're not paying for everyone to attend but only the ones smart enough and motivated enough to make it worth the money. Its good to invest in the education of the young.
The can of worms that would open up...you think the cries of "how unfair it all is, my child did not have a chance at a good school because of our neighborhood, it's not his fault, we are poor and cannot live in a good neighborhood, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc" are bad now? Try your approach. The cries of racism, classism, and sexism will be louder than they already are. It's not going to work in this big country of entitlement mentality.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:50 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,304,677 times
Nope, public school isn't free.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 AM

550 posts, read 961,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
The same way they do here, by taxes.
So essentially, it's not free.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:08 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,213,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The can of worms that would open up...you think the cries of "how unfair it all is, my child did not have a chance at a good school because of our neighborhood, it's not his fault, we are poor and cannot live in a good neighborhood, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc" are bad now? Try your approach. The cries of racism, classism, and sexism will be louder than they already are. It's not going to work in this big country of entitlement mentality.
That's the thing, having University be free but only for people who pass the entrance requirements shouldn't be associated with racism, classism or sexism (particularly classism) although of course that won't stop people making those complaints but anyone with brains would realise its a much fairer system.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,213,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
So essentially, it's not free.
Which is exactly what I said in my original post, that its not really free because its paid for by taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities