Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 PM

746 posts, read 863,199 times

Advertisements

How many years were you in community college before transferring. How long it take you at Texas A&M? How much debt did you have after graduating? Did your parents help or were you on your own? Did you have to pay yourself with little or no scholarship money? Did you have financial aid?
If you had to work while attending how stressful was that? Did you have time study, hang with friends, date, etc?
What did you major in? When did you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 10:51 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,482,952 times
I was an undergrad at A&M, got my BBA in MIS in 2000, with a minor in French and an International Business certificate. I had several friends who transferred in after a year or two at community college. Most still graduated within 4 years (1-2 at community college, 2-3 at A&M), with a few who went a little longer. There were also many who spent their entire 5 or 6 or 7 years at A&M getting their undergrad...some people just take longer.

I did a work-study through the school for 3 semesters (about 20 hours a week), and I worked retail one semester (about 16 hours a week). Studied abroad one semester, did not work freshman year at all, and spent one semester taking 19 hours so I didn't have time to work. I had internships or other jobs during most summers, and that paid for my housing and utilities for the rest of the year.

When I worked, I took 15 hours of classes. That money paid for food and little extras. I had time to date (got engaged to my college sweetheart junior year), made straight As, and had friends. It's all about priorities and time management.

If you do transfer in, I highly recommend that you go to T-camp. It will teach you the traditions and the culture of the school. The culture is really one of the best things about A&M, and you will not get the full Aggie experience without being exposed to these things.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:00 PM

746 posts, read 863,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I was an undergrad at A&M, got my BBA in MIS in 2000, with a minor in French and an International Business certificate. I had several friends who transferred in after a year or two at community college. Most still graduated within 4 years (1-2 at community college, 2-3 at A&M), with a few who went a little longer. There were also many who spent their entire 5 or 6 or 7 years at A&M getting their undergrad...some people just take longer.

I did a work-study through the school for 3 semesters (about 20 hours a week), and I worked retail one semester (about 16 hours a week). Studied abroad one semester, did not work freshman year at all, and spent one semester taking 19 hours so I didn't have time to work. I had internships or other jobs during most summers, and that paid for my housing and utilities for the rest of the year.

When I worked, I took 15 hours of classes. That money paid for food and little extras. I had time to date (got engaged to my college sweetheart junior year), made straight As, and had friends. It's all about priorities and time management.

If you do transfer in, I highly recommend that you go to T-camp. It will teach you the traditions and the culture of the school. The culture is really one of the best things about A&M, and you will not get the full Aggie experience without being exposed to these things.
I will need to go T-camp! I'm glad such a thing exists!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,589 times
3.5 around 35-40 quarter units from a competitive community college and I pay full tuition as a international with 0 scholarship. Would I get in for engineering

Old 02-22-2016, 07:38 PM

8,373 posts, read 7,585,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srivatsan Balaji View Post
3.5 around 35-40 quarter units from a competitive community college and I pay full tuition as a international with 0 scholarship. Would I get in for engineering
The only way to know for sure what your chance are would be to apply and see what happens. It's always wise to have a backup plan when applying for transfer -- where else are you applying?

Unfortunately, the information you've provided isn't enough for anyone to guess-ti-mate your chances. In order to do that, we'd need to have all of the information that TAMU admissions considers, including:

1. Your full transcript so we could see how the courses you've completed align with TAMU's engineering requirements in the specific engineering specialty you're applying to. TAMU's engineering school, like most schools, prefers transfers whose college coursework aligns with the requirements of the program to which they're applying. And, they also weigh transfer applications by the specific major the student is applying for; some engineering specialties admissions is more competitive than for others, since they have more students in those specialties. Be sure to compare your courses to the course plan for your specific major, which you can find here: http://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/majors

2. Your grades in all courses, especially math and science. A GPA alone isn't what TAMU or other admissions offices will consider.

3. Your test scores (TOEFL, SAT, or ACT) showing that you've satisfied TAMUs English proficiency requirement

4. Your essays. Although Essay B is optional, don't pass up the opportunity to tell admissions more about yourself. Strong essays can make a difference when two applicants with similar qualifications apply.

One other thing to know is that TAMU reads and makes decisions transfer applications on a rolling basis. That means that the closer you apply to the deadline, the less open spots will be remaining. So, get your application in as soon as possible after the application period opens and well before the deadline.

All that said, based solely on the VERY limited information you've provided (GPA and credits), it is worth applying. The only sure way NOT to get in is not to apply at all.

Good luck with your application! Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:08 AM

23,586 posts, read 13,793,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
How many years were you in community college before transferring. How long it take you at Texas A&M? How much debt did you have after graduating? Did your parents help or were you on your own? Did you have to pay yourself with little or no scholarship money? Did you have financial aid?
If you had to work while attending how stressful was that? Did you have time study, hang with friends, date, etc?
What did you major in? When did you go?
My first year in college was at a Federal Academy. In between the time I flunked out of there and I was at TAMU, I took a semester or two at a Community College.

I was at TAMU from 1980 through 1984. I had zero debt after graduating.

My parents paid for college, books, and room & board under the following conditions. They would pay if I took the first two years of ROTC and any scholarship that I got that paid for what they would normally pay, then they would give me that money. I had a 3 year NROTC scholarship.

I was in the Corps of Cadets which had its own stress factors but having flunked out of the above Academy for being a better plebe than student, I wasn't going to play Corps and have the same thing happen again. For example, senior year, where was I and my old lady on Elephant Walk? Studying. Between studies and being an sports club athlete (judo), I missed a heap of formations, was on early chow most of my years. It was still tough, however, and I graduated in December of 1984 with an Engineering Technology-Telecommunications degree.....and a 2.0 average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities