Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:04 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times

Advertisements

It's not called "growing old". It's called "growing up". Try it. You might find that the older person has much more interesting things going on than the young ones.

Really, you need to make a big change in your attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:05 PM

16 posts, read 19,437 times
As you get older you will notice you run into this situation more and more...when you are in the school, the workplace, sometimes even in the dating world... many new people coming into your life will be younger and younger and you will notice that you are getting older. It is part of life, and I think we all eventually learn to deal with it.

There are people in their 30s in college that hang out with traditional 18-22 aged college students, simply because they have the same things in common. One person on here even mentioned a guy in his 60s living in the dorms at college, I think he was even in a fraternity, he obviously did not let his age bother him! So trust me, you have nothing to worry about.

The only one making a big deal about your age, is you! This could be due to several reasons. Maybe you are comparing yourself to your parents at your age, or you simply had this idea from childhood that 25 was somehow a milestone age and everything needs to be accomplished by then. But you will notice no matter how old you are, there will always be things that need to be done. So don't worry about your age, concentrate on being happy, finishing college and taking things one step at a time.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:43 PM

5 posts, read 10,319 times
Most of them are 20-22, it's not like am hanging out exclusively with the straight out of high school 18 year old crowd. Some of them are 18, however, and I definitely do notice a difference in mindset(fitting in and such), but it really doesn't seem like this major barrier that some people would make it out to be.

Also, yes there are many students on campus that are far older than I am, and I do have good conversations with them from time to time. I just find that I cannot relate very much to their more "established" and settled lifestyles, but they are still great people whom I can talk to while I just find it difficult to hold a conversation with them that is beyond casual.

These are great replies btw, thank you.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It's not called "growing old". It's called "growing up". Try it. You might find that the older person has much more interesting things going on than the young ones.

Really, you need to make a big change in your attitude.

It's not like as a rule, I don't think that older people have interesting lives. I may have initially come across as very close minded towards befriending older students, which was not my intention( I word things poorly sometimes). I can talk to them and have interesting conversations and life and our viewpoints on certain topics, which I do enjoy. That being said, just find that I am at a similar place in my life as the more traditional aged students, and that I share more in common with them.

It is not like I pick a certain age range, and decide that I will ONLY be friends with people of this certain age group; it just so happens that the people whom I have befriended the most are of the more "traditional" college aged crowd. I guess it's just because I am at a very similar place in my life as them: very little disposable income and working minimum wage job while juggling full time classes.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:07 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,180 times
I am 27 and enrolled at a state school. My closest buddies at school are 28 & 20. My bartender at hooters last night is 26 and in school, she looked 21. If your around people all day your going to develop friendships with them regardless of the age difference. I think your worrying about nothing. There are plenty of 23-25 year olds in my nursing class as well.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:16 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adham View Post
If you want to be rich, walk with rich people.
If you want to be smart, walk with smarter people than you.
If you want to become nice, walk with nice and friendly people.
and the list goes on and on................................................ .

There is a saying that says something similar to this: If you wanna know your son, look at his friends !!!
and if you want to be a dope head and drug dealer, hang out with dope head and…

the gentleman i quote speaks the truth, follow his advice

Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howell042 View Post
As you get older you will notice you run into this situation more and more...when you are in the school, the workplace, sometimes even in the dating world... many new people coming into your life will be younger and younger and you will notice that you are getting older. It is part of life, and I think we all eventually learn to deal with it.

There are people in their 30s in college that hang out with traditional 18-22 aged college students, simply because they have the same things in common. One person on here even mentioned a guy in his 60s living in the dorms at college, I think he was even in a fraternity, he obviously did not let his age bother him! So trust me, you have nothing to worry about.

The only one making a big deal about your age, is you! This could be due to several reasons. Maybe you are comparing yourself to your parents at your age, or you simply had this idea from childhood that 25 was somehow a milestone age and everything needs to be accomplished by then. But you will notice no matter how old you are, there will always be things that need to be done. So don't worry about your age, concentrate on being happy, finishing college and taking things one step at a time.
Since when is turning 24 sleazy? There is nothing wrong with people 21-29 hanging out. Any younger or older and it might raise a few eyebrows, but even then it doesn't really matter.

Howell, are you sure you aren't referring to "Blue" in the movie "Old School"? Living in the dorms and joining a fraternity as a 60 year old?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:20 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward3n View Post
Is anyone else still an undergrad at my age(very late start) and still feel this way. I never ASKED to turn 24, and I don't see why I'm expected to hang around other boring "mature students" just because that is what society would expect, and that I just happened to be on this earth for 24 years...
I was 28 when I went back... I would hang out with my classmates and faculty... age is a number. Even now I hang out with our interns and our staff (staff old, interns young).

Far as the mature comment... I think you should be more mature because of your age. Have fun, but know your limit and what you are dealing with. Young people tend to do silly and sometimes dangerous things...

Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
I was 28 when I went back... I would hang out with my classmates and faculty... age is a number. Even now I hang out with our interns and our staff (staff old, interns young).

Far as the mature comment... I think you should be more mature because of your age. Have fun, but know your limit and what you are dealing with. Young people tend to do silly and sometimes dangerous things...
I definitely have a more mature mindset the majority of the freshers there, and I know better than to do a lot of the dangerous/stupid things that can arise among them. I do, however, tend to have the more free spirited and energetic attitude of a typical younger college student that appears to be deteriorating from my same-aged friends. NOT saying that this is the case with ALL people in their mid 20's and onward, but just from my experience from most of my friends whom are that age. I guess I just don't see any real issue with having more in common with many 20-22 year olds than a typical 24 year old....I mean for hundreds/ thousands of years, that kind of age gap would have meant nothing, but just over the past 60-70 years where the whole "college-aged" vs "mature adult aged" category system arose, it has set these bizarre age categories as a social standard that I just don't feel I need to abide by.

Another note: I live in Canada where the legal drinking age is only 19, so maybe that is why there is not so much of a metaphorical brick wall between me and people slightly under 21 like there would be in the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities