Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:55 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times

Advertisements

I can't wait to be an annoying grad student.

I'm a kinesthetic learner as well and I have to fight every day to do well in school. That combined with a chronic illness makes my GPA lackluster, but it's important for me to do it (that, and every career I want to go into requires a masters). I don't look down on anyone for not going to college, but I HATE when people use learning differences for their excuse. You don't need an excuse.

Plenty of people do well without a college degree. That said, it's getting harder to find a job without a degree. My dad was laid off 5 years ago after 30 years of experience in business and consulting. He can't find a job now because he doesn't have an MBA. He had to drop out of undergrad to support his mom and siblings and ended up literally working from the guy sweeping the floor to a top level businessman, but to some companies, none of that means anything without a degree. I personally think that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard- experience is much more important than a degree, especially for upper level management- but such is life.

IMO, just having dealt with that in my life, even if I had no interest in college and had experience, I'd take night or online classes just to have that degree by my name for some degree of career security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 12:13 PM

847 posts, read 3,520,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
College should only to be neccessary for those seeking careers in Law, Medicine, Science, and dare I say Theology. Otherwise everyone should just go out and get a job!
So you want your child's teacher to have no college degree? I don't think so. There are plenty of jobs that need a college degree and plenty that do not.

Last edited by novanative75; 12-17-2007 at 12:24 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 12:23 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo1 View Post
I don't have a college degree. I find the whole "class" atmosphere to be difficult and I don't learn by reading textbooks, or listening to a lecturer/teacher.

In many people's eyes, I am considered a "loser" because I don't have a college degree. In the US, we put so much emphasis on college, even though it's not even necessary for many jobs out there. If people want to go to college, that's fine, but I wish that hard-working people like me weren't looked down on and considered as "losers" or "dropouts".

I have a decent job and I have proved my worth by putting in the effort and learning fast. Yet, even at my job, I hear people talk of how important it is to get a college degree. I rarely speak out and admit that I never went to college as I don't want to feel any more ashamed of myself than I already am.

I would have gone to college, but I have always had a problem with learning in that sense. I found it very difficult at high school. I have tried to take part time classes, but it has never worked out. I have found that I learn by "doing", not by reading a textbook. Is there anything wrong with that?

So in short, does my lack of education make me a loser in your eyes? Should I be punished and looked down on for not having gone to college? Answer me honestly, please. I often feel really s**ty because of my lack of achievement, but I just can't get my head around it. Do I deserve to be flipping burgers at BK for the rest of my life, earning minimum wage?
People always need someone to p*ss on I guess - that's why people look down on others in the first place for not getting a college degree. I think a college degree IS important but it's not a guarantee that someone is going to get the six figure job and be financially successful. My husband does not have a college degree and he's the smartest person I know and makes more money than I ever did and more than ANY of my highly educated friends. I know too many wealthy, non-college educated entreprenuers (none of them are "losers") for me to believe that college is the key to financial success. That's BS. It's helpful but by no means is anyone a "loser" because they didn't take the college path. If you have the drive and the vision you can make it without a degree...

Old 12-17-2007, 02:34 PM

606 posts, read 698,942 times
It really depends on what your job is.

Personally,I have hardly seen anyone who doesn't have college degree knows how to solve partial differential equation.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:50 PM

463 posts, read 646,797 times
There are some People that experience over rated over priced education (grad school) and now feel a need to belittle people did not share the same experience. I find it funny because most of these people are the same people commuting for hours in their tin coffins looking like depressed clones.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:54 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
There are some People that experience over rated over priced education (grad school) and now feel a need to belittle people did not share the same experience. I find it funny because most of these people are the same people commuting for hours in their tin coffins looking like depressed clones.

This is another stereotype. I'm finishing my Ph.D. and I don't think less of people who don't go to college. To each his own..... (by the way, I love my job and don't commute for hours nor am I depressed clone)
Are there people with graduate educations and college educations who have stereotypes about others? Sure! Do people with high school educations only have stereotypes? Sure! It's more about the person him or her self who makes these comments, rather than the level of education.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:23 AM

463 posts, read 646,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
This is another stereotype. I'm finishing my Ph.D. and I don't think less of people who don't go to college. To each his own..... (by the way, I love my job and don't commute for hours nor am I depressed clone)
Are there people with graduate educations and college educations who have stereotypes about others? Sure! Do people with high school educations only have stereotypes? Sure! It's more about the person him or her self who makes these comments, rather than the level of education.

There is a reason stereotypes exist: because they are perpetuated by said group being stereotyped.In my college days i found grad students to be sad people with the exception of a few. Ants trying to climb the hill, LOL.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:41 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
There is a reason stereotypes exist: because they are perpetuated by said group being stereotyped.In my college days i found grad students to be sad people with the exception of a few. Ants trying to climb the hill, LOL.
On that note, there are plenty of uneducated people who emit the stereotypical "unedumacated dumbfark with close-minded views and a stress on society" aura. If we were to live by stereotypes, the prospect of Bill Gates and Michael Dell creating multibillion dollar companies without a finishe degree would make peoples' heads explode. But that's not happening, because most people are smart enough to realize stereotypes are pretty dumb.

As the previous poster said, it's the person. Not the level of education.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:43 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
If you don't learn well by reading textbooks, then a 4-year degree probably isn't for you -- nothing wrong with that. What you can do is to get a specialized 1 or 2 year certificate program for a certain trade though. Do you like cars? Go to an autobody or mechanics school. Do you like computers? Get some IT certifications and earn $50-60k/year. Do you like to cook? Get a cullinary degree. Do you like to care for children? Get various certifications that are valued in the industry such as CPR training. Not everyone goes to college, but unfortunately most of the higher-paying jobs in the U.S. require a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities