Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 01:51 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,377,553 times

Advertisements

I am not going to answer this question because it sounds like an homework question.

People need jobs. If Americans do not take them,

The things you describe are not liberal arts, but education is liberal arts. I mean great, lets cut our schools arts ( like painting ) and music ( like band ) programs. These are all important jobs. They are all jobs we need, and pays people. If we let those jobs go, soon all the non-heterosexuals, foreigners, feminists, and other bad people will start to take over, and will have the education to change the nation legally, without force.

A career is not an job it is an goal, it is something that means more then money. That is what a career is. It is an mission to hell and heavan, and beyond space and time itself. Not 180" display panels, and expensive monster cars. Their is a big difference. A job is for money, and nothing else. You do not love it, and do not want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 07:01 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,625,209 times
I'm getting VERY tired of the OP's clear disdain for higher education. This is just one of several threads the OP has made over the last month. With that said, I wanted to say that I just graduated from a community college with a general studies Associates degree. It's not worthless at all because it is helping me transfer into a California State University to get my Bachelors.

Last edited by aboveordinary; 06-07-2014 at 07:20 PM..

Old 06-07-2014, 10:12 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,795,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
[/b]

Once again, for the umpteenth time, the vast majority of students do not spend their time chewing the fat with professors, doing research , getting published, attending debates, etc. Most students do not pursue a career in academia. Most students are busy with classwork, and quite often working at part-time ( or even full-time jobs) to make their way through school.

Enough of this "living in an academic bubble" nonsense.
It isn't nonsense. Many of the better universities foster such an environment. And not just for those intending on a career in academia. In such an environment students go far beyond the busy work in classes.

Graduate schools know this and so do the best employers.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:18 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,625,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Star View Post
Oh my goodness. Several threads you don't agree with in the same month? What is the world coming to? Obviously, this naysayer needs to be banned immediately.

But, yeah. You're general studies education is useful because it lead to more education. Now I'm convinced. I think I'm going to go get a general studies PhD so that I can work in a general lab and solve general problems. Maybe one day, my work will lead to a Nobel prize in generality.
You have only 2 posts. Do you really expect anyone to take you seriously? I've never heard of anyone getting a Phd in general studies.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:52 PM

29,451 posts, read 22,392,470 times
My major was in general studies.

Didn't really need a degree in my jobs but got one in general studies as it was most convenient to me and my work schedule (satellite campus near where I lived).

Old 06-08-2014, 12:40 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,023,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
[/b]

Once again, for the umpteenth time, the vast majority of students do not spend their time chewing the fat with professors, doing research , getting published, attending debates, etc. Most students do not pursue a career in academia. Most students are busy with classwork, and quite often working at part-time ( or even full-time jobs) to make their way through school.

Enough of this "living in an academic bubble" nonsense.
I'm not suggesting that they do. In fact, I've suggested many times that the vast majority of students don't get a college education. They just attend classes and do coursework.

The biggest problem with all these newer colleges is that they don't focus on higher education. As a result, they result in degreeholders without a college education.

The skillset of learning and demonstrating what is learned is used in a wide variety of careers beyond academia.

As you imply, it is extremely sad that students are too busy with work to get the most benefit out of college. That shouldn't even be an option.

It helps to familiarize yourself with college.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:43 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,023,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I agree. NJBest, you are VERY out of touch as to why people go to college and how most college students actually live.
I am fully aware that a lot of students go to college for a piece of paper with no intention of getting an education and that is how these students actually live. It's just sad.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:42 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,826,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsy994 View Post
You nailed it on the head --- take a kid fresh out of high school in 2003 and tell him to invest 100,000 in Google stock instead of going to college and see how much he has in the bank today in 2014 --- versus a useless 4-yr. degree that will take him 25+ years to pay off.

unfortunately that's all hindsight. way too easy to look back and say what should've been done in theory. what stock should a 2014 grad invest in since well you're on the ball here. if you're withholding this stock info shame on you for not telling the class of 2014 so they can invest wisely. sounds like you're the one costing these kids 6 figures for not telling them the secret to financial success. how dare you withhold long term investment strategies in tech. companies and then blame it on the colleges.

what stock should they invest in. tell them now please. we await your financial advice.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,393,485 times
The beginning words in your post about modern college education being a huge scam negates everything else you've written.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:00 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,325,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsy994 View Post
I take it you never went to college --- try getting a degree in biochemistry or electrical engineering at a competitive university and you will know the full meaning of "fluffy degrees" like art history or psychology or primary education.
I am appalled that you would call primary education "fluffy". Primary ed is one of the most important jobs out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities