U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 03:30 PM

14,059 posts, read 9,792,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
He said it is harder to get into law school than into a PhD program?

The top 10 programs in my field had acceptance rates of 5-10%. Harvard Law had an acceptance rate of 15.3% in 2013.......Explain to me how that math works out.

A quality, fully funded PhD program is harder to get into and harder to graduate. The classes may be slightly more difficult in law school, but that is also likely because they cover a larger quantity of topics and topics that the student isn't necessarily interested in/spending time learning on their own. You don't go into a PhD program if you aren't interested in the topic and spending 50-80 hours a week either studying or reading about.
There are very, very, very few fully funded JDs. And most PhD programs do not have that low of an acceptance rate. Maybe your particular program is harder to get into than law school but that not so for the vast majority of programs.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,378,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Directly from the source you cite: "However, even though many masterís programs accept people with unrelated bachelorís degrees, it wouldnít be smart to go into graduate-level classes blind. Which is why most grad schools require career changers to take certain prerequisite courses prior to applying."

Try it in math, physics, chemistry, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, and the like and see how far you get.
In my program, you wouldn't be accepted without a Bachelor's in accounting, and if you were accepted without a Master's in accounting, you were required to complete all of the Master's level accounting coursework.

You see very few later career changers in accounting because the remediation work is so extensive.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:40 PM

4,329 posts, read 4,428,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There are very, very, very few fully funded JDs. And most PhD programs do not have that low of an acceptance rate. Maybe your particular program is harder to get into than law school but that not so for the vast majority of programs.
Top PhD programs in every field are fully funded. You are making false comparisons here.

I am comparing top programs to one another.

You are picking and choosing.

You can compare Harvard Law to a PhD in English at Illinois State and you are right, Harvard Law is probably more difficult to gain acceptance.

I will compare Harvard Law to a PhD in Industrial/Organizational Psychology (my field) at Penn State (essentially equivalent in prestige of programs within the given field) and Penn State has a much lower acceptance rate.

There are some joke law school's too though that accept essentially everyone that applies (Barry University, Nova Southeastern are two that come to mind), so you could compare those to your Capella Universities.

If we are comparing top programs to top programs in most PhD fields the PhD program has a lower acceptance/offer rate, which is actually pretty impressive when you think about the fact that tens of thousands more people apply to law schools every year.

Edit: Or let's compare Harvard to Harvard, as Harvard has a PhD in Org. Behavior (similar to I/O Psych).

2013 Harvard's Law School acceptance rate: 15.3%
Harvard's PhD in Org. Behavior acceptance rate: 2%. (98 applicants, 2 offers).

Last edited by mizzourah2006; 04-21-2014 at 03:51 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 04:06 PM

84,965 posts, read 98,814,535 times
^^Surely someone at the top of his game should know how to make a word plural.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:08 PM

2,888 posts, read 3,398,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Just curious, do you consider PA school, medical school and dental school "legitimate" graduate schools? After all, everyone takes the same time regardless of undergraduate background. How about schools that award MEds, MSWs. MHRs, MBAs, MSNs, MPHs which basically work that way too? Or are those just "weaker" disciplines?

I am anxiously awaiting to hear what degrees make up the weaker disciplines.
Since you are trying to count angels as they dance on the head of a pin, I will point out that medical school, dental school, nursing school, and law school are not graduate programs. Rather, they are professional programs.

But far more importantly, your premise is quite wrong -- medical school has a long list of prereqs, as do dental school, PA school, as do post-BS nursing school, business school, accounting school, PT school, OT school, etc. etc. People who do not meet a long list of specific requirements either do not get into these programs, or if they do get in they are required to complete a substantial number of remedial courses, unlike law school which has no specific requirements.

The post-BA/BS time to completion differs for students in most of these these programs depending on their level of preparation. For example, a student seeking the MD who lacks adequate preparation in science will need a year or two of remedial work that is not needed by a student with adequate preparation. So post-BA/BS time to completion of the MD may be four years for one student and six years for another.

Law school is not like this. Again, law school has no prereqs of any kind, except for a BA/Bs in any field, which is rarely true outside of law. The JD comes three years after any BA/BS, that's it.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 04-21-2014 at 04:47 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Come on, for goodness sake . . . shame on you, Kat

Old 04-21-2014, 04:10 PM

4,093 posts, read 2,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Kind of a self-serving statement, no?

http://apps.americanbar.org/legaled/...Statements.pdf
Well, they are both terminal degrees.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:14 PM

4,329 posts, read 4,428,110 times
Quote:
lol, seriously. +1 for Kat. You win at internet grammar! From now on I will wait until I get off my iphone before I post, so I can review my posts for any typos and grammatical errors.....

Old 04-21-2014, 04:34 PM

84,965 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Come on, for goodness sake . . . shame on you, Kat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
lol, seriously. +1 for Kat. You win at internet grammar! From now on I will wait until I get off my iphone before I post, so I can review my posts for any typos and grammatical errors.....
Sorry. It's one of my pet peeves. And Hamish, people have said far worse on this forum.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
And Hamish, people have said far worse on this forum.
I agree -- I'm one of the guilty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities