U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 04:51 PM

14,082 posts, read 9,807,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post

Again, law school has no prereqs of any kind, except for a BA/Bs in any field, which is rarely true outside of law.
But it is true outside of just law school, however rare, so that is not a legitimate place for you to draw your line. Got to be honest with you Dude, I find it an amusing criterion on which you draw your line, of all places. I can understand to a degree, although I don't agree with it, your argument that the JD isn't equivalent to a PhD, but to claim the JD is no more than a second bachelor's is ludicrous and is not supported anymore than claiming an MSW, MHS, MPA, or MEd is nothing more than a second bachelors. There are plenty of PhD programs/academic areas that are far less onerous than law school.

Just my opinion, I do think the JD should only be granted with the passage of the bar, otherwise it is the default masters like happens to PhD students.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,402,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
But it is true outside of just law school, however rare, so that is not a legitimate place for you to draw your line. Got to be honest with you Dude, I find it an amusing criterion on which you draw your line, of all places. I can understand to a degree, although I don't agree with it, your argument that the JD isn't equivalent to a PhD, but to claim the JD is no more than a second bachelor's is ludicrous and is not supported anymore than claiming an MSW, MHS, MPA, or MEd is nothing more than a second bachelors. There are plenty of PhD programs/academic areas that are far less onerous than law school.

Just my opinion, I do think the JD should only be granted with the passage of the bar, otherwise it is the default masters like happens to PhD students.
So let's put the other issues aside. Could we then agree that the JD is not equivalent to the PhD? That was the original topic . . .

Old 04-21-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Top PhD programs in every field are fully funded. You are making false comparisons here.
I know. Law students rarely are - and that was my point.

Quote:
I am comparing top programs to one another.

You are picking and choosing.

You can compare Harvard Law to a PhD in English at Illinois State and you are right, Harvard Law is probably more difficult to gain acceptance.
No, I am not. I want to compare all law schools to all PhD programs. That means the wonderful and the horrible of both. That means the including the the acceptance rates of all PhD subject areas, not just the highly selective ones like yours.

Quote:
There are some joke law school's too though that accept essentially everyone that applies (Barry University, Nova Southeastern are two that come to mind), so you could compare those to your Capella Universities.
Indeed, but because of accreditation and bar requirements I suspect you'll find by sheer number more those in the PhD arena.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 PM

4,346 posts, read 4,435,033 times
Quote:
I know. Law students rarely are - and that was my point.

No, I am not. I want to compare all law schools to all PhD programs. That means the wonderful and the horrible of both. That means the including the the acceptance rates of all PhD subject areas, not just the highly selective ones like yours.

Indeed, but because of accreditation and bar requirements I suspect you'll find by sheer number more those in the PhD arena.
I'd argue there are far more law programs with 75%+ acceptance rates because of the willingness of people to fork over large sums of money for a JD in the hopes of a 100k+ salary. PhDs aren't money makers for universities, JDs are. Even the worst programs in my field (your Chicago School of Professional Psychology's) still only have 50-60% acceptance rates).

What Phds do you think have very high acceptance rates aside from your online programs, which are not all that common). Seems to me you are trying to generalize, show me some fields that have PhDs with very high acceptance rates instead of just inferring it is a fact.

And, I know several law grads that were fully funded. My point was it is an expectation in top PhD programs, it isn't in JD programs. So I'm not sure how being funded or not is relevant. Bottom line is you want to go to the top program you can in any field and that is more difficult to do in most PhD fields compared to law school.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:33 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,595,553 times
I wonder how many of the commenters here have actually obtained a JD degree?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I'd argue there are far more law programs with 75%+ acceptance rates because of the willingness of people to fork over large sums of money for a JD in the hopes of a 100k+ salary. PhDs aren't money makers for universities, JDs are. Even the worst programs in my field (your Chicago School of Professional Psychology's) still only have 50-60% acceptance rates).

What Phds do you think have very high acceptance rates aside from your online programs, which are not all that common). Seems to me you are trying to generalize, show me some fields that have PhDs with very high acceptance rates instead of just inferring it is a fact.
Social work and religion are fairly high. If I had ended up applying, in my discipline that year they would have had either had a 100% acceptance rate or a 0% acceptance rate . I was considering a customized PhD.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,567,099 times
Re: acceptance rates. Another thing to keep in mind is that Ph.D.'s would almost certainly be a more self-selecting group.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,567,099 times
Quote:
There are plenty of PhD programs/academic areas that are far less onerous than law school.
Such as...?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Re: acceptance rates. Another thing to keep in mind is that Ph.D.'s would almost certainly be a more self-selecting group.
Based on.......?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Such as...?

Online PhD Programs : PhD, Doctorate & Doctoral Degrees at Top Schools

Yes, I know there is at least one on-line law school, Capella, but they are very limited because they are ineligible to take the bar except in 4 states (I think, but am not positive, that Capella grads can only take the bar in California).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities