U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:13 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,561,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Good observation.
That's true for the M.D. as well - it attracts lots of highly intelligent people and there are several medical researchers with M.D.'s, even though the M.D. is not a research degree. But the typical M.D. is not a scientist/researcher.

ETA: This could also reflect a generational difference, now that MD/PhD programs have become pretty common.

Last edited by King of Kensington; 04-18-2014 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 03:43 PM

Here's a particularly harsh view:

Law as an undergraduate degree - Law21

Old 04-18-2014, 04:39 PM

2,888 posts, read 3,397,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Here's a particularly harsh view:

Law as an undergraduate degree - Law21
Interesting . . . I hope that everyone following this thread takes a look.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:02 PM

5,466 posts, read 2,310,732 times
IIRC a number of years ago a lawyer put DR in front of his name in legal advertisements in Florida. The Florida Bar was informed and commenced an investigation. The Bar or later the Florida Supreme Court, I can't remember which, determined that since a juris doctorate was a doctorate it was not misrepresentation for a lawyer to call himself a doctor. So it has been determined, a JD is a doctorate. It doesn't mean it is a Phd though.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:37 PM

8,388 posts, read 8,097,812 times
Default ABA says J.D. is equivalent to Ph.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Kind of a self-serving statement, no?

http://apps.americanbar.org/legaled/...Statements.pdf
No.

Extremely self-serving.

More roughly equivalent to a non-thesis master's degree. Which is not to denigrate the effort and intellect required to earn a JD. Law school is no skate in the park.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:02 PM

6,762 posts, read 9,745,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
IIRC a number of years ago a lawyer put DR in front of his name in legal advertisements in Florida. The Florida Bar was informed and commenced an investigation. The Bar or later the Florida Supreme Court, I can't remember which, determined that since a juris doctorate was a doctorate it was not misrepresentation for a lawyer to call himself a doctor. So it has been determined, a JD is a doctorate. It doesn't mean it is a Phd though.
The professors in my PhD program with a JD as the terminal degree put Dr. in front of their name.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:17 PM

What field are you in?

Old 04-18-2014, 06:25 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,382,550 times
My goodness. If the ABA wants to use time as a criteria, then all those kids who take 6 years to get through high school and another 8 to finish 1 year of coursework at a JC should be PhDs too.

Some kids stay in kindergarten for 10 years, I know, Hello Dr.Crybaby?

The ABA is way off base here. Maybe they need to go back to school.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:38 PM

4,736 posts, read 5,938,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
My goodness. If the ABA wants to use time as a criteria, then all those kids who take 6 years to get through high school and another 8 to finish 1 year of coursework at a JC should be PhDs too.

Some kids stay in kindergarten for 10 years, I know, Hello Dr.Crybaby?

The ABA is way off base here. Maybe they need to go back to school.
What's more, since the ABA is being silly, a MD should also be granted a PhD for his residency years; and yet another if he completes a fellowship.

A PhD should be granted an additional PhD for completing a postdoc fellowship.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,590,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Holy, moley. That's exactly what the thread is NOT about. The thread is trying to compare the JD with the PhD, not judge the educational quality of the JD. The JD is just fine for training lawyers to practice law. Good grief . . .
Actually, that's not really what law school is about it all. You don't learn much at all about the practice of law.

Anyway, this whole thread is sort of silly, isn't it? Who cares?

In my old office the fellow two offices down had a JD, an MBA, and a Ph.D. I'm sure if you asked him he'd tell you that comparing the various degree programs would be an exercise in futility. They're different animals. To be sure, a JD requires three years of study, and that's less that what's usually required to obtain a Ph.D. But that's not the real issue, is it? Rather, shouldn't we be comparing levels of intellectual achievement? But how do you measure that? Certainly not by the number of years of study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities