Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 08:56 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Based on.......?
Because PhD's take longer and are a bigger commitment and don't necessarily pay off. While for many law is a route to making money and/or having a prestigious job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 PM

So basically the equivalent of mail-order PhD's.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:01 PM

366 posts, read 730,655 times
Quote:
Online PhD Programs : PhD, Doctorate & Doctoral Degrees at Top Schools

Yes, I know there is at least one on-line law school, Capella, but they are very limited because they are ineligible to take the bar except in 4 states (I think, but am not positive, that Capella grads can only take the bar in California).
I think you are thinking of Concord Law School and grads can take the bar in California. One Concord grad challenged another state (Wisconsin) to take their bar. He was successful in the challenge and in passing that state's bar.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:04 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
I think you are thinking of Concord Law School and grads can take the bar in California. One Concord grad challenged another state (Wisconsin) to take their bar. He was successful in the challenge and in passing that state's bar.
Correct - my mistake. Interesting about Wisconsin - how did he win that argument?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
So basically the equivalent of mail-order PhD's.
Nah, not just those. That's the lazy, easy answer.

We are never going to agree.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:07 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,159 times
I know personally in my paralegal courses we call 2 of the 3 lawyer teachers Doctors. We call the other Judge, well because he was a judge. I really don't care what you want to be called as long as you don't tout it over me.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 AM

366 posts, read 730,655 times
Quote:
Correct - my mistake. Interesting about Wisconsin - how did he win that argument?
The guys name is Ross Mitchell and according to everything I've found out was that he persuaded the board of bar examiners in Massachusetts to allow him to take the bar. That's as detailed as the reports are that I've found. The board made an exception for Mitchell but did not set a precedent for others to follow.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Nah, not just those. That's the lazy, easy answer.

We are never going to agree.
So what's the PhD equivalent to the Thomas Cooleys?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
So what's the PhD equivalent to the Thomas Cooleys?
Northcentral University comes to mind right off the top of my head. I am positive there are others but I don't feel like looking for them.

But again, we are never going to agree on this subject. For every point you make, I can make a counterpoint and vise versa. Let's just leave it with the JD is considered the terminal degree in law, just ad the MD is in medicine or the DVM is for vets, and the PhD is the terminal degree in most other academic areas.

On another track, do you remember the debate when they were talking about going the British/European route and having degrees above the PhD like the ScD and D.Litt? I think it had a different name though. I am glad that has so far been rejected here. Egads. Can you imagine how long that would take?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Northcentral University comes to mind right off the top of my head. I am positive there are others but I don't feel like looking for them.

But again, we are never going to agree on this subject. For every point you make, I can make a counterpoint and vise versa. Let's just leave it with the JD is considered the terminal degree in law, just ad the MD is in medicine or the DVM is for vets, and the PhD is the terminal degree in most other academic areas.

On another track, do you remember the debate when they were talking about going the British/European route and having degrees above the PhD like the ScD and D.Litt? I think it had a different name though. I am glad that has so far been rejected here. Egads. Can you imagine how long that would take?
I haven't followed this thread as closely as I should, but is anyone arguing that those aren't terminal degrees? I think the issue is "not all terminal degrees are equivalent."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities