Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:16 PM

27 posts, read 64,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
The last few posters all nailed it. With a so-so GPA, a mediocre ACT and money concerns you'd be smart to start off at a CC. Get your grades, thoughts, finances and goals in order. As pointed out, you can usually apply for transfer to a 4 year after 30 credits and a 3.2 GPA. You might even find you like it and decide to complete your Associate degree first. Good luck.
Thanks. Academically, I did horrible in High School during my undergraduate years. Now Im a senior, I matured some and starting to take my grades seriously. Im passing Math now which is the only subject I REALLY struggled with and just gave up on it and was getting Fs in Math. I also dont have a foreign language. So Im hoping I can make up for the math and foreign language in community college. Im hoping I can take classes like: Calculus, Trigonometry, Spanis, and some Computer Programming classes so maybe I could major in Computer Science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:33 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT16 View Post
Thanks. Academically, I did horrible in High School during my undergraduate years. Now Im a senior, I matured some and starting to take my grades seriously. Im passing Math now which is the only subject I REALLY struggled with and just gave up on it and was getting Fs in Math. I also dont have a foreign language. So Im hoping I can make up for the math and foreign language in community college. Im hoping I can take classes like: Calculus, Trigonometry, Spanis, and some Computer Programming classes so maybe I could major in Computer Science.
I was in a similar situation as you coming out of high school, except I didn't take my grades seriously when my senior year. So you're already ahead! I graduated high school by the skin of my teeth (final GPA: 2.2) and spent three years at a CC. I eventually matured, found out what I liked and ended up graduating from a very respectable university with a high GPA. Your high school mistakes won't haunt you if you don't want them to.

You'll be able to take all of those courses at a good CC. The more pre-reqs you take at CC, the more money you will save.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:36 AM

10 posts, read 51,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I was in a similar situation as you coming out of high school, except I didn't take my grades seriously when my senior year. So you're already ahead! I graduated high school by the skin of my teeth (final GPA: 2.2) and spent three years at a CC. I eventually matured, found out what I liked and ended up graduating from a very respectable university with a high GPA. Your high school mistakes won't haunt you if you don't want them to.

You'll be able to take all of those courses at a good CC. The more pre-reqs you take at CC, the more money you will save.
Congrats! What a success story. What did you end up majoring in?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Like an earlier poster, I did not graduate high school at all and, instead, received a GED. When I was ready to go back to school, I went the CC route, which I highly recommend to anyone. I always felt I received a better education at the CC. The professors were more accessible and the classes were smaller. If I had been thrown into a four year university right off the bat, I think I would have been overwhelmed and might not have been nearly as successful as I was by starting at a community college.

Having bad grades in high school and no diploma affected me in no way since I was able to prove myself via the community college classes.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Like an earlier poster, I did not graduate high school at all and, instead, received a GED. When I was ready to go back to school, I went the CC route, which I highly recommend to anyone. I always felt I received a better education at the CC. The professors were more accessible and the classes were smaller. If I had been thrown into a four year university right off the bat, I think I would have been overwhelmed and might not have been nearly as successful as I was by starting at a community college.

Having bad grades in high school and no diploma affected me in no way since I was able to prove myself via the community college classes.
Congrats. What do you major in when you got to University?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:18 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie413 View Post
Congrats! What a success story. What did you end up majoring in?
Thanks! I think we need to share more stories like mine and especially Everdeen's because there are more non-traditional paths to college success than most people think.

My undergrad was in History. I am currently finishing my MBA.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:27 AM

I have a Master's degree in Curriculum Development. I'm thinking of going back, though, and getting a completely different degree.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I have a Master's degree in Curriculum Development. I'm thinking of going back, though, and getting a completely different degree.
Did you guys have any success with jobs related to those Degrees?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:38 PM

Yes. But educators have come under undue attack. I'm unwilling to be maligned anymore.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:50 PM

315 posts, read 564,000 times
OP, you will do well in CC if you make the effort. Many people think all CC kids don't care and don't want to be there, which isn't the case. I am awful at math and always came out with C's in high school. Here at my local CC I even got a few B's in my math classes and excelled in my Science classes. It did take me three years because I took two remedial math courses, which helped me in the long run. I am now done with all my math requirements and 63 of my 68 credits will transfer smoothly to my dream school this Fall. You can still have a chance to dorm, and "live the college" lifestyle when you transfer. I also got a $12,000 scholarship along with a few additional smaller ones for my grades in CC.

I would recommend you take a Foreign Language in CC if you didn't in high school. Most schools I applied to required it for either HS or transfer credits, which is the only reason I needed high school transcripts at all. You can redeem yourself at CC, those grades are more important than High School ones by the time you transfer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities