Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 13,722 times

Advertisements

I live in the Scranton, Pennsylvania area. I'm highly interested in art, but I figure going into an art ed. field or anything concentrated on art isn't a very good idea. I am debating on majoring in marketing and having a minor in graphic design. Will this be a good choice? I would like to stay in this area, and I'm unsure of my future job availability. I want to make sure I'll be able to get a job once I graduate, and have it be decent paying. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssaa4095 View Post
I live in the Scranton, Pennsylvania area. I'm highly interested in art, but I figure going into an art ed. field or anything concentrated on art isn't a very good idea. I am debating on majoring in marketing and having a minor in graphic design. Will this be a good choice? I would like to stay in this area, and I'm unsure of my future job availability. I want to make sure I'll be able to get a job once I graduate, and have it be decent paying. Advice?
I know people who majored in graphic design and went into advertising as art directors. Just make sure you get relevant experience and internships.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times
15 Jobs in Graphic Design in your area.

17 Jobs in Marketing in your area.

There might be some crossover between the two as you can find jobs that have both Marketing and Graphic Design in them. It should be noted that with the Marketing specific jobs, not many of them had Graphic Design as a component.

Not too many of either grouping of jobs were for entry level work. You need some sort of experience and most required multiple years of experience. Hopefully any school you attend will have a strong component of interning on the local economy for experience.

Now of course the job landscape might be different when you graduate, but this can give you an idea on where to start.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM

174 posts, read 332,550 times
This is a very good combination to have. You really have the best of both worlds:
- Marketing (being able to strategize and craft your message to the target audience)
- Graphic design (being able to take that message and put it into a communication medium)

Go for it. I can't say for your area, but if you are willing to move it is definitely a good choice.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,029,825 times
My D is a Marketing major. I think your plan sounds good. If you haven't picked a college yet, make sure they have a respected program and hopefully ample Internship opportunities.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
That can be a good combination if you are a really good, creative artist. I have a former employee that is doing great as a self-employed freelance graphic designer, often doing advertising for major local companies, as well as packaging materials and newspaper ads. Her only degree was in graphic design, from the Art Institute.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Migrate

Leave Scranton.
Dying.
Not going to recover.
Death approaches.
Migrate.

I think M + GD is a good idea.
Ad agencies.
Marcom in medium to big companies.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Leave Scranton.
Dying.
Not going to recover.
Death approaches.
Migrate.

I think M + GD is a good idea.
Ad agencies.
Marcom in medium to big companies.

We all seem to believe the the OP has a good idea. Was trying to be subtle when asking if she has picked her college yet, kinda hoping it would be someone else too. Obviously finances will be a major factor but being somewhere with opportunites is just as important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities