Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 01:39 PM

151 posts, read 424,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
That list is based on bachelors degrees, not graduate degrees.

from the site:

"This chart is based upon PayScale Salary Survey data for full-time employees in the United States who possess a bachelor's degree and no higher degrees and have majored in the subjects listed above."
So? What's your point?

Would you expect a list of salaries by graduate degree to be significantly re-ordered? Maybe the graduate engineers will make the least and the graduate child and family studies majors will make the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 01:44 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
So? What's your point?

Would you expect a list of salaries by graduate degree to be significantly re-ordered? Maybe the graduate engineers will make the least and the graduate child and family studies majors will make the most?

Yikes. Calm down.

The person is asking about a graduate degree in counseling or social work, and that list is not going to tell the OP what kind of salary to expect with that. They didn't ask about salary anyway.

Anyway, a salary doesn't have to be at the top of the list to be livable.

As suspected soical workers do a bit better than general counseling, but really it just depends on what you do with it.

ETA: Just for giggles, the relevant links:

Social Worker (MSW) Salary | Salary.com

Therea are many types of graduate counseling degrees, here's one general article:

No. 7 Worst Master's Degree For Jobs: Counseling - In Photos: The Best And Worst Master's Degrees For Jobs - Forbes

As suspected social workers do a bit better than general counselors on average, but really it is all in what you do with it.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-08-2014 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: Implied language

Old 05-08-2014, 01:52 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
So? What's your point?

It does make a difference because a wide variety of fields will require statistics at the graduate level regardless if they are math heavy fields at the undergraduate level. Depending on the program, a graduate degree in education could include psychometrics. By the way, some of the majors at the bottom require science courses with math prerequisites. Take athletic training, for example.
http://www.edb.utexas.edu/atep/conte...ee_2012_14.pdf

Old 05-08-2014, 02:59 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Is there a graduate degree that has absolutely no mathematics? I can think of two.

Basket Weaving
and
Dinosaur Riding

Old 05-08-2014, 03:29 PM

151 posts, read 424,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yikes. Calm down.

The person is asking about a graduate degree in counseling or social work, and that list is not going to tell the OP what kind of salary to expect with that. They didn't ask about salary anyway.

Anyway, a salary doesn't have to be at the top of the list to be livable.

As suspected soical workers do a bit better than general counseling, but really it just depends on what you do with it.

ETA: Just for ****s and giggles, the relevant links:

Social Worker (MSW) Salary | Salary.com

Therea are many types of graduate counseling degrees, here's one general article:

No. 7 Worst Master's Degree For Jobs: Counseling - In Photos: The Best And Worst Master's Degrees For Jobs - Forbes

As suspected social workers do a bit better than general counselors on average, but really it is all in what you do with it.
I know they didn't ask about salary. They asked about non-math degrees and I gave them a link to a list of non-math degrees. So what's the problem?

Old 05-08-2014, 04:49 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
I know they didn't ask about salary. They asked about non-math degrees and I gave them a link to a list of non-math degrees. So what's the problem?
Because those were bachelors degrees. LOL. There are graduate programs that don't appear as undergrad majors. And anyway, that list doesn't tell you what requires math and what doesn't.

You are the one who brought up salaries, not me.

You sure are taking this personally. It wasn't personal. Chill.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:26 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
There's always the MA in Robin Hood Studies from the University of Nottingham.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/shared/s...sert_PROOF.pdf

Old 05-08-2014, 05:46 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I also was a very poor math student but had to take statistics in grad school. I met with a study group every week and we did all of our assignments together. Before a test, we all took the day off from work and studied together, making up tests and trying to anticipate what would be on the professor's test.

I would suggest that the OP find a good study group because there are usually people of all different levels and the ones who are strong in stats will bring you up. Also, since I am sure that the professor gives homework, make sure that it is done and that the answers are not only correct but are understood.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:34 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
I got this one!

Master of Science in Legal Studies

Old 05-10-2014, 11:19 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Is there a graduate degree that has absolutely no mathematics? I can think of two.

Basket Weaving
and
Dinosaur Riding

This offends me. I actually enjoy mathematics. I do well in math. However, I have not one but two grad degrees from colleges that would knock the socks off most academically inclined people.

Making fun of others and what they choose to study, diminishes only one person.

Yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities