Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 07:00 PM

10 posts, read 51,907 times

Advertisements

Is this a good combination and is it marketable in today's job market?

I have to transfer from a community college to a university because of my horrible high school grades, Im alright at math. But I believe if I work hard and study harder I could redeem myself and get better at math through my local community college transfer program.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 07:10 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,884,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie413 View Post
Is this a good combination and is it marketable in today's job market?

I have to transfer from a community college to a university because of my horrible high school grades, Im alright at math. But I believe if I work hard and study harder I could redeem myself and get better at math through my local community college transfer program.

Thanks!
Alright in math and a quality computer science/electrical engineering program might not compute.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:18 PM

10 posts, read 51,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Alright in math and a quality computer science/electrical engineering program might not compute.
I belive it will compute if I apply myself, work hard and study. I already know a few programming languages. And most of the Unis I seen require calculus 1-3, Linear Algebra in Computer Science. I think I can do it.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:27 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,216,800 times
Are there places that allow a minor in engineering? Now I have seen listing for double major in EE and CS before. Of course that would be HARD!

Old 05-03-2014, 11:32 PM

27,241 posts, read 28,308,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Are there places that allow a minor in engineering?
Yeah, "engineering minor" is like "rocket science lite."

Weird oxymoron, but I guess it exists in some places.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:33 AM

16,401 posts, read 30,809,250 times
There's no way any university offers an Electrical Engineering minor.

Your best bet is to major in what you're really good at and thrive... whatever that might be. Don't try to pick the "hot major". The best major is what you're best at.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:36 AM

377 posts, read 617,329 times
Computer science involves abstract mathematics and generalized algorithms, while electrical/computer engineering is more about hardware, applied physics and practical application. Two completely different worlds that require completely different skill-sets and lead to completely different careers. You will not be qualified to work an engineering job with an engineering minor, you just will not have the physics, design, and project experience an engineering major would. On the other hand, a computer/electrical engineering major could do any job a CS major can and still get an engineering job. The choice should be clear, and if you want, you may still take CS courses as electives as an engineering major.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:02 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,985,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

Your best bet is to major in what you're really good at and thrive... whatever that might be. Don't try to pick the "hot major". The best major is what you're best at.
Here's a small school that has it: Minor in Electrical Engineering | Bulletin | Columbia Engineering

Here's a big school that has it: Electrical Engineering - Drexel Engineering

Old 05-04-2014, 09:44 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,997,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

My school, see this link
http://ece.mst.edu/media/academic/ec...Flyer_2013.pdf

Yep, both CompE and EE minors. I'm not saying I really recommend it, but some people might find it useful. Personally I'm a CompE major with the EE minor(since I kept getting CS job prospects, but wanted more electrical type work). I surely wouldn't do a CS with any engineering minor, because CS majors will not be hired to do engineering work. Go with a BS in CompE, lots of jobs there, especially code monkey jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities