Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 PM

77 posts, read 303,446 times

Advertisements

I am on track to graduate with a degree in Finance spring of 2015.

I have plans on attending Grad school afterwards and I am looking into which programs would do well. My long term goal is to get a job with the Federal Government. I met with some folks at a college in the DC area about a Masters Degree in Applied Economics, MS in Finance or Public Administration. Would any of these degrees be worth anything? What about graduate certificates? Thanks in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 06:16 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,572 times
I think you would be much better off getting a few years of professional experience before jumping back into school. Grad school is a massive investment of time and money, so enrolling in a program without knowing much about the field, its prospects or if you are interested in working in that field is almost always a bad idea. Go work for a few years, figure out who you are and what you like and then go back to school.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I think you would be much better off getting a few years of professional experience before jumping back into school. Grad school is a massive investment of time and money, so enrolling in a program without knowing much about the field, its prospects or if you are interested in working in that field is almost always a bad idea. Go work for a few years, figure out who you are and what you like and then go back to school.

This. Don't do grad school right away.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:12 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Easier said than done. Getting relevant experience can be very difficult, even if you're willing to work for free. Have you noticed how many internships are pretty much reserved for grad students these days?

Old 05-06-2014, 03:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
^^I don't know much about internships in finance, but I'm pretty sure there aren't many jobs in finance that don't require a master's. I do have some family members who work in the finance field, so know a little bit about it.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 PM

4,662 posts, read 4,544,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^I don't know much about internships in finance, but I'm pretty sure there aren't many jobs in finance that don't require a master's. I do have some family members who work in the finance field, so know a little bit about it.
This might be a regional thing because there are plenty of finance jobs in NYC that don't require a graduate degree. Entry-level analyst positions are still competitive (as are most jobs in NY), but there are many of them.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:31 AM

412 posts, read 684,316 times
Maybe you should ask people who are working in the field you want to go into. I did not take the decision to go to grad school lightly (fought against it actually) but it was the only way to do what I wanted to do AND to not have to compete with 20 something's for entry level positions (since I'm a bit older).
You are going to have to do some research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities