Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:17 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,609 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am an adult studying for a diploma online.

I love studying, I always have but I am finding this course extremely difficult for a few reasons.

First time I realised I might have a problem with my facilitator was when I was overseas. My first assignment was due while I was there and I asked for a small extension.

She typed all in caps saying I couldn't have an extention past my close of study date (COS) I thought, that's ok because I don't need that. No problem. So I filled in the form to ask for only 7 extra days and she got that and said that it was wrong because I didn't ask for an extension past the COS. What?

I redid the forms (never mind that it was a huge pita because I was overseas with limited access to scanners etc) and I also sent her an email which explained that I was confused by the conflicting information she was giving me.

She got offended and sent me a ranting email about how this misunderstanding was my fault because I didn't include my course code in my emails and she didn't know who I was?

I recognised immediately that she had some sort of personal issue happening and I ignored this email but I felt angry and I certainly wasn't happy.

When I arrived home and began my assignment I found it really difficult so I emailed her asking for guidance. The assignment 'question' was 10 pages long and included terms I was unfamiliar with - I simply could not understand the directions.

She said no, that I should do it as best I could and hand it in and then she would give me a 2nd chance to get it right with her corrections after that.

I was unhappy but I did as I was directed.

Assignment took me 6 days and within 1 hour of me handing it in I got a 2nd reply with the 'help' I had asked for 6 days previously.

I could not believe it. I felt sick and worried.

I suspected that she had looked at my assignment and this was her way to tell me I had, in fact, done it all wrong.

I sent her an email and told her I was distressed and confused as to why she had sent me this info AFTER I had completed my assignement.

She pleaded ignorance saying she didn't know I had handed it in (electronically)

I then got my results (I failed) and she directed me to log in and see her corrections...

The kicker?

I've been completely locked out of my course.
I suspect she locked me out.
I can't access any of my course info at all.

She did this on a Friday afternoon so I can't even call my institution until Monday.

I am very unhappy and worried.

I think she is bullying me. What do you guys think?
And more importantly, what do you think I should do?
Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:31 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,086 times
Report her.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Report her.
Do you think I have enough evidence?

My husband says I should front her in person. I am considering it.

I cannot find my institutions policies on this type of thing...

I am more than happy to report her but I think I need to make sure my grievance has 'teeth'

Old 05-23-2014, 07:58 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
Document everything and take your grievances up the chain of command with your documentation in hand.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Do you think I have enough evidence?

My husband says I should front her in person. I am considering it.

I cannot find my institutions policies on this type of thing...

I am more than happy to report her but I think I need to make sure my grievance has 'teeth'
Print out all the emails back and forth..that's your "teeth".
You have a paper trail with dates..can't do any better than that for an online class.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Print out all the emails back and forth..that's your "teeth".
You have a paper trail with dates..can't do any better than that for an online class.
Thanks, I have gathered everything and will print everything out.

I'll try to talk to someone at my school on Monday.

Hopefully they will take the fact that I was locked out seriously. I think it's serious.

I can imagine that she will deny doing it or say it was a 'mistake' - but I won't know until she is confronted.

I can't believe this is happening to me.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:59 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Are you using Blackboard 9.1 as your distance learning software?

I'm asking because in general instructors don't have enough access to lock you totally out of the class, only discussion boards in that system. Same with Web CT. I don't know about other systems.

What can happen in Blackboard systems: if you didn't pay your fees or were reported as "non-attending," someone in the Registrar's office may have dropped you, so you can no longer "attend" class.

In any case, you need to talk to someone in person.

I also agree about printing out all of the emails.
  • Can you make an appointment and talk with your teacher in person?
  • If not, can you talk with her supervisor/department coordinator?
  • Failing that, can you check with the Registrar to make sure you weren't dropped for some academic reason?

Tip: you'll get further if you remain calm and approach it in a "problem-solving" manner. Do not place blame! Ask questions: "What might cause me to be unable to access my online class?" instead of, "My teacher is bullying me! She locked me out of my class!"

Or:

"I don't understand X. How can I improve?" instead of: "I didn't understand your stupid instructions! You are a terrible teacher!"

OP, not every instructor or student does well online! You may need to either get another instructor and/or take the course in a classroom. I don't know enough details to suggest that you drop, but consider that as an option if you can't make headway after a face-to-face meeting.

Last edited by Meemur; 05-23-2014 at 09:14 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 PM

Thanks Meemur,

I wouldn't accuse her of bullying me but just lay out the facts for anyone reviewing my complaints...

I don't know which system is being used, and like I said I only have suspicions.

My entire course has been paid in full - I have pre paid for next semester also. I have no outstanding fees.

I have done all my coursework on time - there are no online classes for me to attend.

I do know that when I first began there was a public msg from a previous student asking to be removed.

This makes me think that the facilitator has the power to do this since she disappeared from the student list soon after.

Also, I would assume that the school would contact me if I had been expelled? Surely that would be basic protocol?

I might even be entitled to a warning first? I would imagine. But I have received nothing.

But other than just my suspicions I still really am in the dark.

I hope this all gets resolved soon.

I won't know until Monday.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:49 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
The name of the course delivery system is present on your log-in page.
In the Syllabus or Contact page, there should be instructions for the steps
to follow if there are difficulties with course access. I think there is an issue
with your connection, and your communications appear to be out of sync.
I would email her again

Old 05-23-2014, 11:57 PM

I think it might be a private thing.

It's called My.Tafe

I click on the My.Tafe link and agree to their T&C's and it usually grants me access.

But not since Friday. (It's Saturday arvo here now)

Not much point in emailing her - she is out of the office. Whole school is closed until Monday am :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities