Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 08:06 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,457 times

Advertisements

There is absolutely NO benefit to paying out the ass to take classes at a for-profit college when there are dozens of accredited, not-for-profit universities offering online courses, unless for some reason you're unable to admitted to a not-for-profit program (failing grades at previous educational institutions or a criminal record).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 11:46 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
There is absolutely NO benefit to paying out the ass to take classes at a for-profit college when there are dozens of accredited, not-for-profit universities offering online courses, unless for some reason you're unable to admitted to a not-for-profit program (failing grades at previous educational institutions or a criminal record).
I don't recall criminal record ever mattering when I applied to colleges except for when it came for financial aid. The federal government sets requirements for federal financial aid; states set requirements for state financial aid. Some professions, such as the health professions, might always do a criminal background check to be in compliance with state law. Other than that, I've only come across one school in my area that does background checks, and it was a for-profit. They had a low job placement rate for their CJ program, which would have eventually caused the program to be shut down by their accreditor. They discovered that some of their graduates couldn't get jobs because of their records; therefore, they started requiring background checks for all new CJ students. At the public university where I attend and work, CJ students are not required to go through a background check.

There are many non-profit schools that are open enrollment, so failing grades at previous colleges or test scores/high school GPA are not an issue. On average, for-profit schools are more expensive than public schools, but not private non-profits. Some for-profits are cheap, though. APUS is only $250 per credit hour and books are free. Patten University charges about $1400 every 4 months, and you get to work at your own pace. This school doesn't participate in Title IV funding (federal financial aid); they offer a payment plan. From what I've seen, people usually choose for-profits because they see commercials on TV and are unaware of online or evening programs at non-profits. The for-profits will hold your hand throughout the entire admissions, enrollment, and financial aid process. People who come from families with no college attendees find the whole process daunting. I also know that many people avoid community colleges because most will require a placement test, and low scores on placement tests will lead to required remedial courses.

Last edited by L210; 08-02-2015 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-02-2015, 02:30 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I don't recall criminal record ever mattering when I applied to colleges except for when it came for financial aid. The federal government sets requirements for federal financial aid; states set requirements for state financial aid. Some professions, such as the health professions, might always do a criminal background check to be in compliance with state law. Other than that, I've only come across one school in my area that does background checks, and it was a for-profit. They had a low job placement rate for their CJ program, which would have eventually caused the program to be shut down by their accreditor. They discovered that some of their graduates couldn't get jobs because of their records; therefore, they started requiring background checks for all new CJ students. At the public university where I attend and work, CJ students are not required to go through a background check.

There are many non-profit schools that are open enrollment, so failing grades at previous colleges or test scores/high school GPA are not an issue. On average, for-profit schools are more expensive than public schools, but not private non-profits. Some for-profits are cheap, though. APUS is only $250 per credit hour and books are free. Patten University charges about $1400 every 4 months, and you get to work at your own pace. This school doesn't participate in Title IV funding (federal financial aid); they offer a payment plan. From what I've seen, people usually choose for-profits because they see commercials on TV and are unaware of online or evening programs at non-profits. The for-profits will hold your hand throughout the entire admissions, enrollment, and financial aid process. People who come from families with no college attendees find the whole process daunting. I also know that many people avoid community colleges because most will require a placement test, and low scores on placement tests will lead to required remedial courses.
I'm sorry, was the first line of this post in English? English your second language perhaps? Apparently you lack writing skills in addition to comprehending the meaning of diploma mill...

I am still waiting to see how the UNC scandal equates to a "diploma mill" according to your warped understanding of the term....

Old 08-03-2015, 05:28 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
U of P is a for profit which means their primary mission is to make money. Compare that to a not for profit who's primary mission is to educate and impact, and just needs to charge tuition in order to fund the operations. These for profits will generally admit lower quality students that wouldn't be admitted to not for profit Universities, or at least would have a more difficult time getting in. They then charge insane amounts of tuition for a lower quality education, benefiting from the ignorance of the student body. They inflate or blatantly lie about job placement rates for grads. Personally Ive worked with a few of these UofP "graduates" and the work product speaks for itself. Some managers have given them a chance and regretted it.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
Another reason why UoP is largely considered a joke is the school will often assign instructors to teach courses they do not have any educational or professional experience in. I know an accountant that is an adjunct prof at UoP who is assigned courses across the entire business spectrum -- marketing, management, operations, etc. -- despite only having experience in accounting.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Is the University of Phoenix a scam?

Legally? No

Educationally? Yes

Old 08-04-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I'm sorry, was the first line of this post in English? English your second language perhaps? Apparently you lack writing skills in addition to comprehending the meaning of diploma mill...
Please excuse my one typo. It is much worse than the multiple typos you made.

Quote:
I am still waiting to see how the UNC scandal equates to a "diploma mill" according to your warped understanding of the term....
Over a 20-something year period, hundreds of athletes were awarded degrees they did not earn simply because they were making UNC money. They were required to do little to no work. When they did turn in work, it was not graded for its content and quality. Some of these athletes are now suing UNC and the NCAA because they have no skills to find a decent job, and they are claiming that UNC steered them to the paper classes. Additionally, many of these athletes can only read at the elementary level.

In short, many people were awarded degrees for playing sports and bringing in money, not because of their schoolwork. Diploma mills award degrees after people pay a fee and complete little to no work. My understanding of a diploma mill is based on the U.S. Department of Education's description. The U.S. Department of Education's description is partially based on dictionary definitions. Legally, UNC is not a diploma mill because it is accredited, but it was not following the rules set by its accrediting organization. That is why they are on probation. If they mess up again during their probationary period, their accreditation can be revoked.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:01 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Please excuse my one typo. It is much worse than the multiple typos you made.

Over a 20-something year period, hundreds of athletes were awarded degrees they did not earn simply because they were making UNC money. They were required to do little to no work. When they did turn in work, it was not graded for its content and quality. Some of these athletes are now suing UNC and the NCAA because they have no skills to find a decent job, and they are claiming that UNC steered them to the paper classes. Additionally, many of these athletes can only read at the elementary level.

In short, many people were awarded degrees for playing sports and bringing in money, not because of their schoolwork. Diploma mills award degrees after people pay a fee and complete little to no work. My understanding of a diploma mill is based on the U.S. Department of Education's description. The U.S. Department of Education's description is partially based on dictionary definitions. Legally, UNC is not a diploma mill because it is accredited, but it was not following the rules set by its accrediting organization. That is why they are on probation. If they mess up again during their probationary period, their accreditation can be revoked.
You're talking about a specific sub set of students, student athletes, that knowingly took advantage of the lax system that allowed them to cruise through academics while focusing solely on sports.

Sure, this is a failure on the part of UNC, but assuredly it continues to happen anywhere universities host big name sports teams like UNC (all about the $$$$).

But to then equate that with the entire UNC system as being a diploma mill is a big stretch. UNC degrees are highly valued and has name recognition, and will continue to do so. That some student athletes received 'devalued' degrees based solely on them not properly studying and applying themselves for it, doesn't make the degree itself worthless or being from a diploma mill.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You're talking about a specific sub set of students, student athletes, that knowingly took advantage of the lax system that allowed them to cruise through academics while focusing solely on sports.

Sure, this is a failure on the part of UNC, but assuredly it continues to happen anywhere universities host big name sports teams like UNC (all about the $$$$).

But to then equate that with the entire UNC system as being a diploma mill is a big stretch. UNC degrees are highly valued and has name recognition, and will continue to do so. That some student athletes received 'devalued' degrees based solely on them not properly studying and applying themselves for it, doesn't make the degree itself worthless or being from a diploma mill.
Starting in 1993, 3,100 students took courses that violated standards. Only about half of them were athletes.
University of North Carolina slapped with 5 NCAA violations over academic scandal | Fox News

Old 08-05-2015, 10:08 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Starting in 1993, 3,100 students took courses that violated standards. Only about half of them were athletes.
University of North Carolina slapped with 5 NCAA violations over academic scandal | Fox News
It's apparent you're refusing to acknowledge what I've been trying to state repeatedly.

You're being disingenuous in using allegations of improper monitoring and conducting of certain courses by UNC staff (courses where a large number were student athletes) as an example of UNC being on the level of a diploma mill a la University of Phoenix.

That is just so ludicrous, I'm done with this discussion.

Among some of University of North Carolina's accolades:

- Named a public Ivy school (one of 8 in the nation).

- One of three universities that has claim to being the oldest in America

- US News and World Report ranks UNC as #5 among nation's top public colleges and universities (2015)

- 2012 QS University ranked UNC as 57 best university in the WORLD

- Highly ranked in MBA, research, and pharmacy programs

So on and so forth.

Yup, UNC sure seems like a 'diploma mill' on the level of schools like University of Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities