Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:56 AM

8 posts, read 24,640 times

Advertisements

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, a Master's Degree in Political Science will have a 21% increase by 2022.

Political Scientists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
What do you want to do? Before anyone jumps on here with non-factual comments, a few different surveys have found that people with international relations, political science, and government degrees have the potential to earn high salaries. But, you should also pay attention to what BLS has to say on job competition.

Quote:
Political scientists should face strong competition for most jobs. The small number of positions, combined with the popularity of political science programs in colleges and universities, means that there will likely be many qualified candidates for relatively few positions.

Candidates with a graduate degree, strong writing and analytical skills, and experience researching or performing policy analysis should have the best job prospects. Candidates who have specialized knowledge or experience in their field of interest will also have better job opportunities.

Some candidates with a bachelor’s degree in political science may find entry-level jobs as assistants and research assistants. Many will also find positions outside of politics and policy in fields such as business and law.
Political Scientists : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Old 06-08-2014, 03:04 PM

151 posts, read 424,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
What do you want to do? Before anyone jumps on here with non-factual comments, a few different surveys have found that people with international relations, political science, and government degrees have the potential to earn high salaries. But, you should also pay attention to what BLS has to say on job competition.

Political Scientists : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Everyone has the "potential" to earn high salaries. People don't come here to hear about potential. They come to learn about realistic prospects.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
What do you want to do?
This is the right question to ask.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Everyone has the "potential" to earn high salaries. People don't come here to hear about potential. They come to learn about realistic prospects.
How about you look at the median income before you make a foolish comment. The links are right there for you.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:09 PM

151 posts, read 424,382 times
Quote:
How about you look at the median income before you make a foolish comment. The links are right there for you.
What foolish comment? I was pointing out that your comment about "potential" salaries is meaningless.

It would be like if someone asked if a high school diploma is all they need and I replied that someone with a high school diploma has the potential to start microsoft or google.

Everyone already knows that, therefore there's no point in stating it.

Your reply was no better than the results of a google search.

A far more meaningful reply would be what NJBest said.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:17 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
"Worth it" how? With a PoliSci MA you can get good gov't jobs, or work for think tanks or non-profits of various sorts. It depends in part on what type of internships you get while working on your BA and MA, and what your other interests are, i.e. where you want to specialize.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
What foolish comment? I was pointing out that your comment about "potential" salaries is meaningless.

It would be like if someone asked if a high school diploma is all they need and I replied that someone with a high school diploma has the potential to start microsoft or google.

Everyone already knows that, therefore there's no point in stating it.

Your reply was no better than the results of a google search.
It's not meaningless because the potential for earning a high salary is high. The typical salary is high. I wouldn't say the same thing for social work. Your high school diploma example is apples and oranges. Everyone knows that the typical salary for someone with just a high school diploma is low. If you knew anything about the average or median salary for a political scientist, you wouldn't have made your meaningless comment. Any typical salary for any field is a "potential" salary because nothing is guaranteed. There will always be people who will earn a lot less.

Quote:
A far more meaningful reply would be what NJBest said.
NJBest just quoted what I said.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:47 PM

8 posts, read 24,640 times
What do I want to do? Thats a good question. I thought about that long and hard, I actually want a job, not a blue collar job but more like a white collar job in which I can start and raise a family and hopefully have a kid and raise him/her up to be a productive and contributive member of society. Thats what I want. I figure why not turn my passion into a career which is Politics, Computers & Music. We all know that a degree in music will get me no where so I figure why not a Computer Science or Political Science degree? Now Im looking into Majoring in Management Information Systems and Minoring in Computer Science.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofOpprtnity View Post
What do I want to do? Thats a good question. I thought about that long and hard, I actually want a job, not a blue collar job but more like a white collar job in which I can start and raise a family and hopefully have a kid and raise him/her up to be a productive and contributive member of society. Thats what I want. I figure why not turn my passion into a career which is Politics, Computers & Music. We all know that a degree in music will get me no where so I figure why not a Computer Science or Political Science degree? Now Im looking into Majoring in Management Information Systems and Minoring in Computer Science.
Recent graduates with information systems degrees had the highest unemployment rate in 2010. I haven't seen more recent data. You have to decide if graduate school is something you can commit to. If it's not, then just get the computer science degree. You can possibly even minor in political science and work in technical intelligence or policy making jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities