Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,007 times

Advertisements

Hi all sorry if something like this has been posted before but I did a search and couldn't find anything so I figured i'd go ahead and ask in my own topic. Basically i'm just wondering if the auto tech programs at community colleges are beginner friendly or do they expect you to know something going in? I'd consider myself a beginner when it comes to auto related things (mainly because I never really had the opportunity to learn) but i've always wanted to learn it/try it and while I know not every CCs program will be the same, I figured id see what the general consensus on the programs were and see if any other beginners had tried to do one of the program, i checked the programs for 2 local CCs and they don't seem to say anything one way or the other, but the classes pretty much seem to jump you right in (I didn't see an 'intro' type class on either one)

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 AM

50,709 posts, read 36,411,320 times
IMO, most of the guys (and girls) who take the courses are going to have at least a hobby background in cars and have some knowledge going in. My brother and my nephew are both mechanics, and they were both motorheads working on cars since they were very young teens, my brother with my grandfather's teaching, my nephew with my brother. My brother rebuilt a junk car from age 15 to 17 from the ground up. Are you good with your hands in general, strong, any knowledge of cars at all? What is it about the field that attracts you?

You should be able to find the head of the program, I would call and see if you can meet with him, observe a class, etc. to see if it's right for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities