Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:59 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times

Advertisements

Please don't become a career student, the country is filled with folks who have multiple grad degrees and very little in the way of gainful experience. You'll be beholden to daddy's money forever with a plan like that.

Take this path instead:

(this path works much better in cities). Get a job and move into a group house. The group house (likely to be filled with 20 somethings) will approximate college campus life to a large extent. You'll be getting valuable experience and perspective, saving money, and having an active social life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 AM

787 posts, read 780,885 times
If you want to relive the "social experience" join a meetup group or something. It will cost way less and I bet you'll have just as good of a time.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I'm Chinese and my college experience sounds hauntingly similar to yours, specifically in the following aspects:

- Parental coercion
- Low grades (I had a 2.8 in college compared to a 3.7 back in high school)
- Lack of a social life

In addition, I was pressured into attending graduate school after finishing college against my will. I got into a major fight with my parents due to my staunch stubborness of "hell no, I'm not going!" but they eventually guilted me into going by going into graphic detail how much my mom had spent her days (something to the tune of 80 hours a week) researching graduate schools and planning it all out. However, I eventually failed out of grad school and surprisingly, my parents didn't cut off support even though 99.99% of American parents probably would do so at this point. I even flat out refused their monetary support but they forced me again (after yet another fight) to take it and go back to school. At this point, since I was pretty much backed into a corner and had to accept their monetary support instead of striking out on my own, I chose study Finance instead of Engineering for my 2nd Masters (I had flunked out with a MS when I first went to grad school.)

I won't sugar coat it to you.. there's little doubt you've those wasted 4 years of you life unless you want to chalk this up as a learning experience, which is what I recommend.

Like other posters mentioned, your most immediate and dire goal now is Financial Independence.

No, you don't need enough to retire and stop working but you do need enough savings and a steady job in order to not answer to your parents. (Colloquially, this is known as F*** U money, google for it.) If you have this, you can continue to support yourself whether or not your parents like/hate it or want to send you back to Korea. And please, don't think that just because your parents will cut you off financially, that means the end of your world and you must return to Korea. Plenty of American kids don't receive ANY financial support from their parents when they turn 18.. yes, life's supposed to be hard like that. If you figure out how to support yourself, you don't need to give a s**t what your parents want you to do with your life.. you're an Adult.

If you need more advice on how to get your finances in order, read the following blog:

Mr. Money Mustache — Early Retirement through Badassity

If you like to read, I recommend the following books for inspiration:

Antifragility by Nassim Taleb (Highly Recommended): Everything about your upbringing, especially your parents' distasteful fetish for Higher Education, is debunked as "beneficial".

4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss: If you want to relive your college years, save up a few thousand dollars and buy a round trip ticket to somewhere like Amsterdam.. seriously. Go with an agenda of having fun and nothing else.

Don't waste more time and money on a 2nd Bachelors or grad school just to relive your college experience..

Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM

550 posts, read 965,921 times
Am I being cynical to think that the contents of the original post were made up?

If it's all true, then you probably should go into psychology like you had originally wanted...your introspection, the ability to express yourself and your communication skills can take you very far in that field.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
Am I being cynical to think that the contents of the original post were made up?

If it's all true, then you probably should go into psychology like you had originally wanted...your introspection, the ability to express yourself and your communication skills can take you very far in that field.
I believe it completely because I had a very similar background and college experience as the OP (graduated from college in 2005)

Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 AM

550 posts, read 965,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I believe it completely because I had a very similar background and college experience as the OP (graduated from college in 2005)
I'm impressed with this young man's ability to express his thoughts so effectively at the age of 23.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:01 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
I'm Chinese and my college experience sounds hauntingly similar to yours, specifically in the following aspects:

- Parental coercion
- Lack of a social life

In addition, I was pressured into attending graduate school after finishing college against my will. I got into a major fight with my parents due to my staunch stubborness of "hell no, I'm not going!" but they eventually guilted me into going by going into graphic detail how much my mom had spent her days (something to the tune of 80 hours a week) researching graduate schools and planning it all out. However, I eventually failed out of grad school and surprisingly, my parents didn't cut off support even though 99.99% of American parents probably would do so at this point. I even flat out refused their monetary support but they forced me again (after yet another fight) to take it and go back to school. At this point, since I was pretty much backed into a corner and had to accept their monetary support instead of striking out on my own, I chose study Finance instead of Engineering for my 2nd Masters (I had flunked out with a MS when I first went to grad school.)

I won't sugar coat it to you.. there's little doubt you've those wasted 4 years of you life unless you want to chalk this up as a learning experience, which is what I recommend.

Like other posters mentioned, your most immediate and dire goal now is Financial Independence.

No, you don't need enough to retire and stop working but you do need enough savings and a steady job in order to not answer to your parents. (Colloquially, this is known as F*** U money, google for it.) If you have this, you can continue to support yourself whether or not your parents like/hate it or want to send you back to Korea. And please, don't think that just because your parents will cut you off financially, that means the end of your world and you must return to Korea. Plenty of American kids don't receive ANY financial support from their parents when they turn 18.. yes, life's supposed to be hard like that. If you figure out how to support yourself, you don't need to give a s**t what your parents want you to do with your life.. you're an Adult.

If you need more advice on how to get your finances in order, read the following blog:

Mr. Money Mustache — Early Retirement through Badassity

If you like to read, I recommend the following books for inspiration:

Antifragility by Nassim Taleb (Highly Recommended): Everything about your upbringing, especially your parents' distasteful fetish for Higher Education, is debunked as "beneficial".

4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss: If you want to relive your college years, save up a few thousand dollars and buy a round trip ticket to somewhere like Amsterdam.. seriously. Go with an agenda of having fun and nothing else.

Don't waste more time and money on a 2nd Bachelors or grad school just to relive your college experience..
Good Post.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:07 PM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
If you want to relive your college years, save up a few thousand dollars and buy a round trip ticket to somewhere like Amsterdam.. seriously. Go with an agenda of having fun and nothing else.
Don't even need to go that far. I was going to recommend Miami during spring break or New Orleans or even Vegas.

Any of those places can be just as crazy as anything experienced during college.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times
Quote:

- Parental coercion
- Lack of a social life

didn't you study mechanical engineering at UC berkley ? 2.8 isn't terrible for engineering. It's not like the average gpa for engineering is terribly high (tops 3.2).

also note that in general 3.0+ gpa is good enough for most engineering/IT jobs in america. The standards aren't incredibly high.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 PM

85 posts, read 132,381 times
Dude just wants to bleeping party. I thought he was just 'rudderless'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities