Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:17 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,394,136 times

Advertisements

Depends on what your goals are. If the goal is to have a secure job, decent amount of money, and 9-4 life,

Engineering - recommend environmental and civil engineering since there are lots of govt jobs that require these

Accounting

Computer Science - if you have the motivation to be a self-starter and carefully choose your projects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 10:30 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,624,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Every degree is practical within some context.

This. Any degree can be put to good use if the person with the degree puts themselves in that position. I know many English majors, Graphic Design majors, History majors, and Psychology majors that are doing just fine. Are they rich? No but they are not struggling to pay the bills.

Engineering and accounting and that kind of stuff are great if you are strong with math. There are many people like myself that struggle with math so these would not be good areas to get into.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:32 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,881,607 times
Default +2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Every degree is practical within some context.
A blind list will assume essentially uniform abilities and essentially uniform desires. An engineering degree can be practical if you like engineering and are good at it, but if both of those aren't true it's impractical. A nursing degree can be practical if you have aptitude for it and like working with patients. If you hate other people, especially when they're sick, you may make a steady wage and hate yourself. A degree in philosophy may be impractical if you don't have a knack for philosophy, but if you're a uniformly brilliant philosopher and your principle motivation in life is philosophy, it may be the only practical degree. And practical doesn't always have to mean the best long-term earning potential, either. Some lower paying jobs give people satisfaction in non-monetary ways/

All that being said, some degrees are generally more practical than others. In general it helps to be good at the subject and for the subject to be in high demand. If you're the best in the world at something the demand is less important; if you're totally incompetent it doesn't matter, either.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:40 PM

144 posts, read 263,516 times

I think all of Jotron3000's threads need to be merged together because he basically asks the same helpless question in every one of them: What should I do with my life?

Old 06-15-2014, 04:26 PM

56 posts, read 121,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post

I think all of Jotron3000's threads need to be merged together because he basically asks the same helpless question in every one of them: What should I do with my life?

How about you become a mod and make it happen? . Untill then, ****.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:15 AM

153 posts, read 219,404 times
Engineering or you could do what I do Math/Econ double major.. But don't I want less competition

Old 06-17-2014, 05:37 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,354,242 times
Like everyone said, Engineering is very practical.

MD/DDS/Nursing- Rising demand due to ageing population

Middle Eastern Languages- Farsi, Arabic, etc- Pretty much guaranteed government job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities