Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 01:21 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,434,023 times

Advertisements

Jake Stevens isn’t a typical college student. When the 19-year-old mechanical engineering major isn’t in class or working a full-time job at an automotive company, he spends most of his time worrying about where he’ll sleep next.

“It’s kind of stressful,” says Stevens, who grew up in Tampa Bay, Fla. “If I’m working really late at school, I’ll just take a nap in one of the computer labs or something. If I can get out early enough, I’ll go to a friend’s house.”

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/homele...181203472.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 01:51 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,706,152 times
"Stevens is still thousands of dollars short of meeting tuition requirements at his private Flint, Mich., engineering school."

Perhaps he should have chosen a cheaper school. He could have went instate to UF or FSU for example.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:31 PM

750 posts, read 1,443,346 times
Look he is going to one of the best engineering schools in the nation. When he gets out he will be making 75 to 85k. In 10 years he will be at 125k. Look college cost has out paced everything. When I was in grad school just fees not tuition where a 1000 bucks a term. This was at a state school add in books housing. College cost have gone up 550% since 1985 it is nuts. I just saw the other day tuition is going up another 4.5% in the fall. God only how many fees they have added since I have left. And you can bet your bottom dollar it will go up another 4 to 5% in the spring. The days of working your way though college are all but done. Cost has out paced what most kids can earn working. It is a bubble just like housing or stocks it will pop. At that point the government will bail the colleges out. And the college kids will get some type of bail out. Better rates forgiveness on some debt better repayment terms. If not then it will take a good part of the nation's economy down the tubes.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:53 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,354,242 times
That shirt he's wearing that says "I am massively in debt" probably cost $25 to custom order.

And he wonders why he's homeless.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:14 PM

205 posts, read 244,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Jake Stevens isn’t a typical college student. When the 19-year-old mechanical engineering major isn’t in class or working a full-time job at an automotive company, he spends most of his time worrying about where he’ll sleep next.

“It’s kind of stressful,” says Stevens, who grew up in Tampa Bay, Fla. “If I’m working really late at school, I’ll just take a nap in one of the computer labs or something. If I can get out early enough, I’ll go to a friend’s house.”

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/homele...181203472.html
Yeah, I actually read the whole story first, I'm sorry but he should have thought about that before he picked a school where the tuition was like 40k/yr. I don't feel sorry for him. His own mother can't even afford to pay it since she is a school teacher and he knew that too because she told him.

The level of entitlement is high within this one...

Old 06-22-2014, 10:04 AM

16 posts, read 14,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
Yeah, I actually read the whole story first, I'm sorry but he should have thought about that before he picked a school where the tuition was like 40k/yr. I don't feel sorry for him. His own mother can't even afford to pay it since she is a school teacher and he knew that too because she told him.

The level of entitlement is high within this one...
And that's exactly the problem right there. I just don't understand why the current generation thinks that they are somehow entitled to college education.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:34 AM

9,001 posts, read 10,140,506 times
"To his credit, Stevens is pretty pragmatic about his living situation. He doesn’t have a car while he’s in school, so it’s important to find places to stay that aren’t far from campus , usually at a friend’s apartment. He stores his clothing in a friend’s basement during the months he’s working (his job is based in Kansas). Most everything can fit into a suitcase and backpack.

Knowing that friends wouldn’t always be available, he turns to his fraternity when he’s truly desperate for a place to crash. He is a member but hasn’t paid dues (about $2,000) since his first term."

The kid isn't stupid- he will make it.
Even w/ this publicity from the story, I'm sure people will be sending him money or even offering him a place.
Any way you cut it, he's going to be fine when you look at the big picture.
He sounds very resilient & he's doing something (couch surfing) that most people couldn't handle.
But it's temporary- he'll wind up making some really good $$$ when he's done.
Good for him.....

Old 06-22-2014, 10:35 AM

18,492 posts, read 15,461,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
And that's exactly the problem right there. I just don't understand why the current generation thinks that they are somehow entitled to college education.
Uh....perhaps because most of the decent jobs for those without at least a bachelor's degree are now overseas?

Old 06-22-2014, 10:39 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Uh....perhaps because most of the decent jobs for those without at least a bachelor's degree are now overseas?
There are schools that do not cost $40k

Old 06-22-2014, 10:41 AM

9,001 posts, read 10,140,506 times
Sure there's cheaper schools out there....
But the seriously ambitious, driven, many times -most successful people don't just want any school.
That impresses me.
He knows where he's going.
Just the prestige of that diploma is going to open a lot of doors for his career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities