U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 05:14 PM

8,652 posts, read 4,788,647 times

Advertisements

I'm an accounting major at my local CC, and am going to be transferring next year. I have several local colleges, but none of them have a solid accounting program (mainly business majors with an emphasis on accounting), so I'm looking at colleges with an online program. I'm torn between two at this point and could use some input.

School #1 is the one I really like because they have several accounting programs to choose from (I'm leaning toward Accounting Information Systems or Forensic Accounting) and the schedule is flexible (I can take 8-week courses and finish my degree quicker). They're notoriously generous with transfer credits, I'd get a transfer scholarship through my fraternity, and the tuition is very reasonable; between grants and my scholarship, I'd only have to pay for my books. The caveat: it's an established brick and mortar school, but the online program has really gained momentum... on one hand it's a good thing, but I'm worried about it being lumped in with Phoenix, Ashford, et al.

School #2 has a stronger reputation and they do have a transfer agreement with my CC... but for the business administration accounting program, not the BS accounting program that I want. My credits would most likely transfer, but I *may* not qualify for the transfer scholarship if I don't transfer into the BBA program. This school is also considerably more expensive than school #1, so even with grants and an academic scholarship, I'd still be looking at a good $20,000 in loans. Obviously no one wants to take out student loans, but I'm 36 with 3 kids to support in a high COL area, so I need to keep loans to a minimum.

So, what would you choose: #1, which meets your needs in all areas, but has the reputation of an on-line school (though it is a non-profit, regionally accredited college)... or #2, which may not meet your needs and is quite expensive, but has the stronger reputation? Also, school #2 is more local, so I'm thinking it's less likely to stand out as been a on-line program than a school that's 2 states away.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 07-03-2014 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 PM

43 posts, read 72,414 times
If you choose option #1 and graduate from there, your degree will say the name of the school. It won't mention anything about it being online.

Getting that out of the way, you should choose the school that will give you the best bang for your buck, even if it is more expensive on the surface. What are your long term prospects with earning this degree?

Old 07-03-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginator View Post
If you choose option #1 and graduate from there, your degree will say the name of the school. It won't mention anything about it being online.

Getting that out of the way, you should choose the school that will give you the best bang for your buck, even if it is more expensive on the surface. What are your long term prospects with earning this degree?
Long term: I'm not planning on going the CPA route; I'm more interested in financial analysis or auditing. The programs at school #2 seem to be geared more toward the CPA or MBA route, but school #1 is right up my alley as far as career goals go. I realize that the degree won't specify as being earned online, but since it has become well-known for it's online programs, I'm afraid of that potentially effecting the reputation of the school. But then again, I guess a prospective employer would likely be familiar with which online programs are reputable?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,849,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Long term: I'm not planning on going the CPA route; I'm more interested in financial analysis or auditing. The programs at school #2 seem to be geared more toward the CPA or MBA route, but school #1 is right up my alley as far as career goals go. I realize that the degree won't specify as being earned online, but since it has become well-known for it's online programs, I'm afraid of that potentially effecting the reputation of the school. But then again, I guess a prospective employer would likely be familiar with which online programs are reputable?
What school? I can't think of any real schools that are confused with online schools. Are you sure people will see the name and think online? Could it maybe be known only locally that way?

Old 07-04-2014, 09:03 AM

Southern New Hampshire University.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:25 AM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times
Quote:
I'm an accounting major at my local CC, and am going to be transferring next year. I have several local colleges, but none of them have a solid accounting program (mainly business majors with an emphasis on accounting), so I'm looking at colleges with an online program. I'm torn between two at this point and could use some input.

School #1 is the one I really like because they have several accounting programs to choose from (I'm leaning toward Accounting Information Systems or Forensic Accounting) and the schedule is flexible (I can take 8-week courses and finish my degree quicker). They're notoriously generous with transfer credits, I'd get a transfer scholarship through my fraternity, and the tuition is very reasonable; between grants and my scholarship, I'd only have to pay for my books. The caveat: it's an established brick and mortar school, but the online program has really gained momentum... on one hand it's a good thing, but I'm worried about it being lumped in with Phoenix, Ashford, et al.

School #2 has a stronger reputation and they do have a transfer agreement with my CC... but for the business administration accounting program, not the BS accounting program that I want. My credits would most likely transfer, but I *may* not qualify for the transfer scholarship if I don't transfer into the BBA program. This school is also considerably more expensive than school #1, so even with grants and an academic scholarship, I'd still be looking at a good $20,000 in loans. Obviously no one wants to take out student loans, but I'm 36 with 3 kids to support in a high COL area, so I need to keep loans to a minimum.

So, what would you choose: #1, which meets your needs in all areas, but has the reputation of an on-line school (though it is a non-profit, regionally accredited college)... or #2, which may not meet your needs and is quite expensive, but has the stronger reputation? Also, school #2 is more local, so I'm thinking it's less likely to stand out as been a on-line program than a school that's 2 states away.

The school that meets your needs in all areas. As long as it is, non profit and regionally accredited.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 AM

43 posts, read 72,414 times
Quote:
Most employers aren't going to care what school you go to. Unless you are going for the top of the line finance jobs, it matters little which school you attend (for profits notwithstanding).

What really matters is

1. If you can do the job
2. If you are a right fit for their organization.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:41 AM

154 posts, read 211,285 times
Quote:
Southern New Hampshire University.
I'd be really cautious here. This school's aggressive advertising means that unless you live in NH, people will see the name on your transcript and know that you completed the program online.

I know that you have taken 100- and 200-level accounting courses and feel confident in your abilities and knowledge, but I would be really cautious about taking a 400-level audit or taxation class online, in an abbreviated format, no less. My understanding is that the content of many SNHU classes is watered down, but you would leave those classes with, most likely, no applicable understanding of the topics covered.

SNHU does not have a good reputation in the community. A degree from that school would be a waste of time for you. Keep looking.

I know taking classes at night and on weekends is challenging, especially when you are a non-traditional student, but remember: the easiest path is rarely the best path to take. (I'm also a non-traditional student and wasted a year at a school with a poor reputation that is going down the same path as SNHU {which is going down the path of UoP, Devry, etc} in the very near future.)

Old 07-06-2014, 06:15 PM

Thanks for all of the input! I ended up deciding to go with school #2, and just suck it up with the student loans. I'm looking at it this way: I went back to college so I could get it right this time around; my GPA is in the top 1% of my school, and it would be foolish to short-change my education or take a chance on the school with the lesser reputation. I figure it's one thing to buy generic groceries, but a whole other to nickle and dime your education. And who knows, maybe they'll come through with a really good scholarship offer.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:25 PM

I feel like (being a middle-aged mother, out of the workforce for more than a decade) I'll already have more obstacles to getting hired. I'm going to be competing with people much younger, with internships under their belts, and degrees from good schools. The one thing I can control is the quality of my education... which will look better on paper: a high GPA from a school that *may be* perceived as a degree mill, or a high GPA from a more impressive school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginator View Post
Most employers aren't going to care what school you go to. Unless you are going for the top of the line finance jobs, it matters little which school you attend (for profits notwithstanding).

What really matters is

1. If you can do the job
2. If you are a right fit for their organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or