Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:18 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times

Advertisements

im 30 now and I went back and got my associates from a community college in IT. well needless to say, I went out of state to finish my IT degree when I semi realized that I simply didn't want to do it anymore compared to when I was in my 20s.

I just feel its a young persons field to get in, not someone my age especially if they wish to move on up. That's why I decided I might change my majors and go into something I feel is something I find interesting and challenging: accounting.

as I got older I realized I enjoyed numbers so in a way this involves doing that. What exactly do I want to do? maybe auditing, maybe something else. no idea but I just don't want to be a network security guy anymore.

am I stupid for this? I just don't find myself even interested in competing with younger folk who sit there and argue with me about computers today. most couldn't even tell me what format c: used to mean. or why knowing the OSI levels is somewhat important. I just find myself like the guy in office space in IT these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 05:06 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
If you are good in math and like numbers, accounting is a good field, or an actuary is even better, pays more.

I thought that IT was not a particularly good field compared to Computer Science. I don't know why you're family would be mad, it's not like you are going from IT to Philosophy or some other major where you'll be unemployed.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:20 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
At 30 you should do what you want, not what your family wants.

Three out of my four kids have degrees, one in Art, another in Engineering and the third in Education. Not once did we question their choice of major. The only thing was that for the oldest we advised her to get Education certifications and I didn't want the third to teach. They didn't change their minds.

Each is employed, the oldest isn't using her Art degree exactly (she is a practicing artist, though, and does enter shows) but it got her the job she has. The second isn't engineering but he is the Maintenance Supervisor for a local business while the third is teaching (the fourth has been accepted as an Electrician Apprentice).

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-05-2014 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: added

Old 07-05-2014, 09:23 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
It's YOUR life. Live it.

Sooner, rather than later.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:30 PM

154 posts, read 307,815 times
Do what's right for you. It's not like you're going back to school for something that will never afford you a good job or decent, stable quality of life. Accounting is a good field.

I am having a hard time figuring out why your family is mad at you, to be honest. By "family," are you saying that your parents/siblings are upset, or your wife?

Old 07-05-2014, 03:33 PM

parents and siblings. they are mad because I borrowed 12k to go out of state for my IT degree, but now I realize that the university I went to: a) lacks in what I want to do b) job growth in this field is slow and not as great as I thought it was or told.

it felt like I was alone in terms of the students in the college of information science. Everyone else was either programming or database and had yet to find ppl who wanted to go the network route. Then to top that off, I was finding it hard to land the few network internships/jobs. ive felt like it was a lose-lose and I was split on if I wanted to spend another 12k to finish my degree( this is on top of the federal loans, im talking 12k out of pocket) and be nearly 60k in debt for it.

I figured id go back home and while none of my credits from here will transfer, ill be saving 40k in debt and could finish it quicker if I went 18-21 credit a semester. Then I began to deeply question and found myself that I find IT as a hobby not something I want to do for income. I'll always have friends and family in the same field I want to go and while it doesn't bother me, I just know i'll always be compared to their level of success and I find that just to be annoying. I don't care if the guys a GS 10, but ill know all my life that he/she's a gs10 doing the same type of work.

I figured accounting is a stable, abit boring job but one that I can eventually do on my own. And no one can question my chice of career really.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:21 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
im 30 now and I went back and got my associates from a community college in IT. well needless to say, I went out of state to finish my IT degree when I semi realized that I simply didn't want to do it anymore compared to when I was in my 20s.

I just feel its a young persons field to get in, not someone my age especially if they wish to move on up. That's why I decided I might change my majors and go into something I feel is something I find interesting and challenging: accounting.

as I got older I realized I enjoyed numbers so in a way this involves doing that. What exactly do I want to do? maybe auditing, maybe something else. no idea but I just don't want to be a network security guy anymore.

am I stupid for this? I just don't find myself even interested in competing with younger folk who sit there and argue with me about computers today. most couldn't even tell me what format c: used to mean. or why knowing the OSI levels is somewhat important. I just find myself like the guy in office space in IT these days.
I'll never understand why people associate accounting with math and numbers. Accounting deals with the concepts of cost management, financial reporting, and financial accuracy. You will spend most of your classes learning about the preparation of financial statements for different types of businesses.

I suggest you look at what is involved with passing the CPA exam. I don't recommend you go into accounting unless you are serious about passing this exam. Getting an internship in accounting or a job with one of the Big 4 accounting firms means you will be competing with the very top students graduating with accounting majors. Accounting classes build on what you have learned in earlier classes. It will be difficult to double up on most of your accounting classes so you are looking at a minimum of 2.5 to 3 years depending on how many classes you can take in the summer.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'll never understand why people associate accounting with math and numbers. Accounting deals with the concepts of cost management, financial reporting, and financial accuracy. You will spend most of your classes learning about the preparation of financial statements for different types of businesses.

I suggest you look at what is involved with passing the CPA exam. I don't recommend you go into accounting unless you are serious about passing this exam. Getting an internship in accounting or a job with one of the Big 4 accounting firms means you will be competing with the very top students graduating with accounting majors. Accounting classes build on what you have learned in earlier classes. It will be difficult to double up on most of your accounting classes so you are looking at a minimum of 2.5 to 3 years depending on how many classes you can take in the summer.

I don't want to work for the top 4 firms to be honest. Make enough money to enjoy life because money isn't life and yes, I know id need to pass the CPA. I enjoyed my economics courses and feel id enjoy my accounting classes. its my way of getting into finance without having to redo my entire life really.

im a few classes from a general studies so id transfer into the university as a gen ed major then get into the school of business/management for my accounting degree. id have to take the 101s and up.

I honestly feel its less of a challenge than say, creating the software program to do taxes.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:00 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
You're brave. Just keep on doing what you know you need to do. Don't let this mistake get in the way of your progress.

It's better that you know now that IT isn't for you. I've met students who've spent megabucks becoming something like a paralegal, only to go on an internship and find it really wasn't for them.

You may find that accounting isn't quite right, either, but I've met a lot of former IT majors who ended up in accounting and/or finance who were happy with their choice. One really, really liked doing taxes. I know it sounds weird, but he liked details, like computer code, disliked computer geeks and the culture of coding shop. He got an entry level preparer job at H & R Block at one point and got hooked after that. He's now a manager at one of their central offices, the type that's open year-around.

His parents weren't pleased at the time but with all of the unemployed IT people around right now, they're happy to see him gainfully employed at a stable full-time job with some benefits.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:17 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post

Stupid would be changing majors to something worthless with no job prospects. I'm sure there will be a need for accountants somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities