Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM

179 posts, read 248,021 times

Advertisements

Wow, pushing 40, really? I bet they're shopping for nursing homes already....

I do agree that there are too many dodgy "Colleges" pushing "degrees" that don't make sense, and maybe that's what you were laughing at. I truly hope you weren't laughing at people, no matter what age, trying to make a better life for themselves.

If you truly laugh at people who are trying to do better for themselves and truly believe that it's not possible to re-invent ones self at 40, both professionally and financially, and that you get your jollies out of putting them down for their efforts at such an advanced age, then I feel sorry for you. All your education didn't teach you anything about empathy or belief in the human condition.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:18 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I was watching television with my husband last night. There's some commercial for some garbage online college. They show some lady graduating (I don't know how if they're an online school ). She's pushing 40. My husband and I always laugh at it. What kind of a fool gets a BA at 40? Nice way to way to straddle yourself with debt.
Lots of folks go back to school when they're older, some who want a career change after many years in the workforce, some to realize a dream they never had the chance to fulfill before, others to find another career when they've lost their jobs, to name a few reasons.

And while this may come as a surprise to you, furthering one's education does not necessarily go hand-in hand with serious debt- as those of us who worked our way through school and went part time as we could pay for classes would tell you.

Some of those folks might attend classes just that way, ie, working and paying as they go; we're not necessarily talking Ivy League or other obscenely overpriced universities, but local community colleges, and public universities' tuition is more reasonable, and can be done without incurring significant debt...

And I doubt seriously that those older folks will spend any "education" money living in lavish dorms, eating all their meals out, spending money on anything they fancy as though it grew on trees. These habits are at least part of the debt incurred by college students.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:22 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
Oh my goodness, you would be so surprised at how many people in their 40's and older are working on their bachelor's degree these days! We used to refer to them as nontraditional students, but these days, they are pretty traditional. They bring so much information to the classroom that young students have not experienced yet.

My sister earned her Bachelor's in Nursing in her early 40's while raising four children. She's been working as a nurse about 20 years now. There is one lady in our small town who became a registered nurse at 65 after her husband died. She is one of the most compassionate people you would ever want to meet.
That's for sure, and these folks bring such a wealth of experience, and a unique perspective to their new careers when they're finished with their education.

One of the best nurses I ever met was a man probably in his 50's who had been a Florida Power and Light lineman for many years, and decided to change careers. He told us that he and a fellow lineman decided to go for their RN's and become nurses. So they did, and he worked in the cardiac surgery recovery room, and his friend worked in one of the intensive care units at the same hospital. And he said becoming nurses was the best thing they ever did.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What kind of fool rejects education?
The kind who doesn't want to "straddle" herself with debt, obviously.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:31 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
No, I lead a successful life.
If you really did, you wouldn't be here waxing pathetic on how someone else (whom you don't even know) chooses to live their life and when they get an education.

You sound very bitter. Perhaps your minor should have been in Manners and Empathy.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:05 PM

477 posts, read 800,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If you really did, you wouldn't be here waxing pathetic on how someone else (whom you don't even know) chooses to live their life and when they get an education.

You sound very bitter. Perhaps your minor should have been in Manners and Empathy.
You have poor manners yourself. I'm just being real. When I went to college, I didn't want to go to school with grannies and grandpas. No young person wants that, except weirdos.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:12 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
You have poor manners yourself. I'm just being real. When I went to college, I didn't want to go to school with grannies and grandpas. No young person wants that, except weirdos.
Great gravy... it is not like they are living in the dorms and rushing Greek!

What IS weird is your thinking that you have to be in your 20s to learn. That simply is not true.
Also weird is thinking that everyone in their 40s are "grannies and grandpas".

Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Great gravy... it is not like they are living in the dorms and rushing Greek!

What IS weird is your thinking that you have to be in your 20s to learn. That simply is not true.
Also weird is thinking that everyone in their 40s are "grannies and grandpas".

Um, I'll have you know that I went to a college that had several nontraditional students in attendance. It was a total breath of fresh air! We weren't stuck in that "high school culture" mode anymore. Teens were mixing with adults, and, surprise, immaturity was highly frowned upon. The adults on all sides were not afraid to stand up and put the "children" in their place! That means we actually got real work done, none of this party nonsense.

Unfortunately, though, it looks like the "kids" won. We got a football team, and I think things went downhill from there . I know the college is getting more revenue, but, the atmosphere was so refreshing because our professors taught like they were teaching older more mature human beings. Now, I don't really know what the on-campus culture is like. I've been going to school online now for a few years, and I don't know if I want to set foot in a traditional classroom, really, especially since I've worked at some of the high schools whose students transfer to this college. Yikes, they have a lot of growing up to do.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:51 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
I was watching television with my husband last night. There's some commercial for some garbage online college. They show some lady graduating (I don't know how if they're an online school ). She's pushing 40. My husband and I always laugh at it. What kind of a fool gets a BA at 40? Nice way to way to straddle yourself with debt.
One of my closest friends got her bachelor's degree when she was in her early 50s, and just a week ago, at age 61, finished her master's degree. She is still highly viable in the business world and is competing with co-workers who could be her children and then some. I commend her for getting that degree -- and the promotion and raise that are coming with it. She's one kick-ass lady in her business!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
I'll be 40 when I finish my dual BS/MS. I consider it a wise investment, and my ticket to lower middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities