Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 08:00 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,409,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would imagine the CIA is similar, if not more rigorous.[/color]
That depends on what someone wants to do. Most of the jobs at the CIA are desk jobs. Intelligence analysts don't have to go through a physical agility test. They might get a medical screening for high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, etc., but that's about it. There is probably only physical testing for the police officers, protective agents, and field operatives in clandestine services. That's why it would be nice to know what the OP wants to do because the CIA does not have the equivalent of an FBI special agent.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 PM

294 posts, read 472,161 times
I've been thinking about careers with both of these organizations as well. I have a background in international politics and speak Mandarin. Problem is, I had to live out of the country for several years in order to acquire the language part. Basically, my history for nearly the past half decade is almost an unknown. Any idea how strict the FBI or CIA is with people who have lived overseas - particularly in communist countries in which we currently have beef with - for several years? I imagine they'd either be very interested or immediately throw my application in the trash upon first view.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:19 AM

17,877 posts, read 15,719,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One way is to join the Peace Corps. Seriously. Once you're vetted by a federal service like that, you'll have your foot halfway in the door. One pool of candidates the federal security services recruit from is the Peace Corps.

But why? Dont the FBI and CIA need people who can well "handle themselves"?

Old 07-18-2014, 12:23 AM

205 posts, read 243,983 times
If you want to get into that, you are going to need to talk to Bert Macklin .... FBI !

Old 07-18-2014, 07:36 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,409,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
I've been thinking about careers with both of these organizations as well. I have a background in international politics and speak Mandarin. Problem is, I had to live out of the country for several years in order to acquire the language part. Basically, my history for nearly the past half decade is almost an unknown. Any idea how strict the FBI or CIA is with people who have lived overseas - particularly in communist countries in which we currently have beef with - for several years? I imagine they'd either be very interested or immediately throw my application in the trash upon first view.
If you go through the analytical positions in the CIA, you'll find some that have a preference for those who have lived overseas. But, my question always is, "What do you want to do?" Do you want to be collecting intelligence in the field undercover (they desire military experience for this) or working a desk job as an intelligence analyst? It's the same thing with the FBI. Do you want to become a special agent (law enforcement officer that works in the field, the police officers only secure FBI buildings) or an intelligence analyst who may be at a scene or at a desk, but it's not a physical job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But why? Dont the FBI and CIA need people who can well "handle themselves"?
It depends on the type of position. The FBI likes to hire highly-educated people who are physically fit for special agent positions. Foreign language proficiency can help you land the job, but experience and education in an international setting is not very important for this job. This would be more important for an FBI intelligence analyst job that does not require you to "handle yourself." While some intelligence analysts might collect information at the scene, this is mostly a desk job. They aren't law enforcement officers who carry guns.

The CIA mostly has intelligence analyst positions where foreign language and international experience and education are desired. Again, this is a desk job. The people who work in the field in clandestine services are the "spies." This is where military experience will win over everything else. While anecdotal, I have heard many stories of people not being able to get into the CIA for years because of their Peace Corps experience. I've also heard that this is a disqualifier for military intelligence. As someone else said, it is poor advice to tell someone looking to enter the CIA to join the Peace Corps. This could delay that person's career for years. There is a reason why the CIA asks for Peace Corps experience on the application, and it's not because it's a positive.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 AM

50,096 posts, read 35,727,051 times
"Basically, my history for nearly the past half decade is almost an unknown."

Actually, I would think that yes, having an untraceable recent background would disqualify you.
I can't imagine they would skip their rigorous background check and hire you anyway if you tell them there's no way for them to verify your actions over the past 6 years, especially when those years were spent in a Communist country. Have you looked at their websites? Are there any links to contact their offices for information?

Old 07-18-2014, 12:20 PM

533 posts, read 1,163,895 times
I've have 19 years in federal law enforcement, with multiple agencies. I was also a military intel officer and was in the hiring pipeline for the CIA's Career Trainee Program (until I decided that law enforcement was a better fit for me).

First, as one poster suggested, you need to figure out what you want to do: work in intel (CIA) or federal law enforcement (FBI).

Speaking from the federal law enforcement side, I have a degree in History and German. I know agents (FBI and others) with degrees in everything under the sun, from Criminal Justice to Philosophy and Music. In my experience, for the vast majority of agencies, the focus of the degree matters less than simply having one, to meet the degree requirement that most agencies have. My advice would be to study something you enjoy, because you'll invariably be more interested in the subject matter and will do better/have a higher GPA. That helps you to stand out from the crowd. Going to a reputable school can help, too.

Also keep in mind that if law enforcement doesn't work out, you'll need a degree that can get you a job, period. And since most federal agents don't get hired until their mid-late 20's, anyway, you'll need a job that will give you some solid work experience, people skills, writing skills, organizational skills, and things that federal agents need in order to investigate crimes.

The FBI is a slightly different animal in that they target specific degree fields. However, what they target tends to change quickly. At one time or another, they've wanted attorneys, military officers, accountants and Arabic speakers. It all depends. They're among the most competitive agencies to get hired on with, but that's partly because everyone knows them. That vast majority of the "hundreds of thousands" I've seen who apply aren't even qualified, let alone competitive. On the flip side, because they're so big and because they're almost always hiring - even when other agencies have hiring freezes - they often give you a better than average chance of getting a job.

But I would advise not to put all your eggs in one basket. Virtually every federal agency has "special agents" who do the same job and generally get paid the same as the FBI, albeit with differences in the crimes they investigate. I would research these options, as well. IRS, EPA, DEA, Secret Service, Diplomatic Security, and various Offices if the Inspector General to name but a few.

These days, in addition to languages, an advanced degree is very important. And with the current push to hire veterans, that helps enormously, as well. An advanced degree, some real-world experience, a language skill, and military service will put you square in the running for any job, in my opinion. One of those four will give you a shot, but all of them will give you the best shot.

Also, you will need to have above-average writing skills, as that's what federal agents spend 90% of their time doing. Documenting evidence and interviews, writing case reports, etc.

That and - of course - keeping your nose clean and having a solid background.

I would check out some of the many law enforcement hiring forums on the web and chat with others who are pursuing the same goal.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:29 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,265,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJYoon View Post
Would it be possible if I majored in like sociology or criminal justice and learned the languages on my own? Or is it actually better to major in a language and learn the other languages on my own?
wouldn't think sociology or criminal justice would help too much, speaking from old knowledge FBI used to require agents to be accountants. given the analytical and investigative nature of the job. Am sure that has changed but sociology and criminal justice wouldn't cut it anyway.

am sure languages help but it also depends upon what you expect to do in the FBI/CIA.

good luck.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:08 PM

294 posts, read 472,161 times
Just a few questions:

How much of an emphasis is placed on real-world experience, and would teaching overseas be considered as such? As I mentioned before, my major concern is the background check and the fact that I have been out of the country for several years. Not that I did anything illegal, but does the FBI - or any agency for that matter - bother to check up on things that happened outside the States?

Also, how much preference is given to those with knowledge of a critical needs language, and how much impact does college GPA have in selecting candidates? I've been looking at both the intel and law enforcement side of things. I'd probably be leaning a bit more towards the latter, but would probably go with whatever I had the best chance at.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:25 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,370,095 times
For the FBI, an accounting degree would be a good choice as many crimes involve "following the money"

That's also a useful degree should the FBI not work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities