Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times

Advertisements

If you want to go to law school, go. It doesn't have to be particularly rigorous. It's probably harder to get into a good law school than it is to stay in. In any event, if you have three years to waste, and if you have the money and can't think of anything else to do, why not? Just keep in mind, the law degree won't necessarily do you much good these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 01:58 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I'm probably going to get a lot of strong words for this post, which I probably need desperately. Some background about me. My mother and grandfather were attorneys, so I grew up around lawyers and the idea of becoming one myself was always floating around in my head, until I worked at my mom's practice. She hung out a shingle in the 80s and has been moderately successful but working there turned me off to her type of law. I double majored in journalism and poli sci in undergrad and I'm currently getting my MPA (Masters of Public Administration degree) at a good school, and enjoying the program. I graduate next year, but that little voice in my head is back telling me to go to law school. Ok, here are my reasons to go to law school. For the sake of full disclosure I'm being totally honest no matter how dumb my reasons appear.
1. I figure I might have some genetic predisposition to the law, since my mother/grandfather/greatgrandfather were all attorneys

2. I'm trying to impress a guy who goes to a very good law school. I probably like him more than he likes me, it's making me bitter, and the thought of him being more successful than me is driving me crazy. If he doesn't want to date me I can at least show him in the end by being a bigger success (I told you I was being honest)

3. I'm still not sure what I want to do with my life yet. I like politics, media, writing, campaigns, global development and journalism. Maybe a JD would be a good asset to have?

4. I want the prestige of a JD from a great school. Maybe I would score really really high on the LSAT and get into an amazing law school.

5. I love school and I love an academic challenge. Grad school was actually easier than I thought and I want something more rigorous.

6. I'm scared of entering the real world and failing. 3 more years of law school would delay it and maybe give me a better chance of succeeding.
7. See #2

So yeah, that's it. Give me all you've got.
You rightfully acknowledge that you need some strong words, so here they are:

1. This reason is 100% incorrect. But having lawyers in the family, if you plan to stay close to home, can be valuable for networking purposes.

2. Terrible, terrible idea. 1st, you're not dating--and choosing a career for someone you are not dating is a stupendously bad decision. 2nd, he is not "being more successful than" you. Going to a very good law school is not success. It is a chance to succeed and a chance to fail spectacularly. And nobody gets dates by virtue of the law school they go to (well, other than dating their classmates).

3. Lots of people are not sure, but law school is not a place to figure it out. If you are interested in politics, media, writing, campaigns, global development, and journalism, then try to get into those fields by all means. Getting a law degree is not going to move the needle for you, and may actively hinder getting into those fields as potential employers will think you are just falling back on this until you can find work as a lawyer. Even if it was a little helpful, a JD is too time-consuming and expensive to be worth it for working in another field entirely. Only go to law school if you really want to become a lawyer.

4. Not worth it unless you are a lawyer. For a writer, there is much more prestige in the Iowa Writer's Workshop. For a journalist, there is much more prestige in a degree from the Columbia School of Journalism. For campaigns, there is much more prestige in working on a successful campaign.

5. Not worth it and not all that rigorous. If you want an academic challenge, become a PhD candidate and try to advance human knowledge. Law school requires organization, logic, and analysis. They are easily learned, and you are not going to find that your time and money are worth the benefit of overcoming law school's challenges. If you want to challenge yourself, try to summit K2.

6. This is a terrible reason. You will be using your time and money for something that you don't want to do, possibly locking yourself into a career that you don't want. That is a much bigger failure than struggling to figure it out in the real world for a little while.

7. Again, terrible, terrible idea. Don't let the idea of someone else run your life.

To sum up, there is one valid reason to go to law school: to become a lawyer. That reason is not on your list, so you should not go.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:10 PM

50,776 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Wasn't this the plot of Legally Blonde?
I believe it was!

Old 07-18-2014, 02:11 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
# 6 --

Getting a job these days can be downright tough, even for those who desperately want one. The longer that you delay what you consider "the real world", you will be of an age group where everyone else has already figured out a lot of things and made their real world mistakes while you will still be doing that. You will be older in an entry level job while your peers may have a few promotions under their belts. (Heck -- one of the law school graduates I know made fun of me for not trying to pursue graduate school - I am not the one that's a server at outback trying to pay off 160K in debt!) Academic credentials does not always guarantee "success" (see #7 & #2).

School is a comfortable place, but if you really want the challenge you say you do than I don't think law school is it. I think the challenge is joining the labor force. Get out of your bubble. You will then realize how silly it is to base any decisions on a man who doesn't like you. You will realize it is best to be independent and strong than be hung up on some guy who like you said doesn't like you. And you will also realize that if what you want to do is challenge yourself academically, you don't NEED papers and tests to do that. If you really want to learn, you can learn by yourself.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:41 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
OP, I do understand about wanting to hang around college but the economy gets worse with each passing year.

Since you have family in the profession, I challenge you to go work for them as an office assistant/paralegal. If things are a bit tight for them, work for a minimum salary or for free. I also challenge you to get involved in the campaign of a political candidate of your choice. There are plenty of political jobs that require researchers, although it might be awhile before you can get one of those.

I suggest that you do both of these for about one year. Really put your heart into it. Network. Meet people. Think. Feel. At the end of the day, what is it that truly motivates you? Forget the guy. What causes or situations make you feel alive?

You may find that you are developing a passion for family law or for XYZ. Or you might be angry at things that are happening in politics and want to make a difference. In any case, you spent a year finding out your tolerances and getting a taste of the real world without going deeper into debt.

I have no problems with people going to law school for the right reasons, but your post sounds like you're playing around, and law school isn't the place to play. You need a sincere, passionate purpose for being there. Otherwise, you're incurring a huge debt in a profession that you may grow to loathe.

And there are a lot of crappy lawyers that loathe law and should have gone into something else, but they didn't, and now they are stuck.

Don't be one of them.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:23 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I'm probably going to get a lot of strong words for this post, which I probably need desperately. Some background about me. My mother and grandfather were attorneys, so I grew up around lawyers and the idea of becoming one myself was always floating around in my head, until I worked at my mom's practice. She hung out a shingle in the 80s and has been moderately successful but working there turned me off to her type of law. I double majored in journalism and poli sci in undergrad and I'm currently getting my MPA (Masters of Public Administration degree) at a good school, and enjoying the program. I graduate next year, but that little voice in my head is back telling me to go to law school. Ok, here are my reasons to go to law school. For the sake of full disclosure I'm being totally honest no matter how dumb my reasons appear.
1. I figure I might have some genetic predisposition to the law, since my mother/grandfather/greatgrandfather were all attorneys

2. I'm trying to impress a guy who goes to a very good law school. I probably like him more than he likes me, it's making me bitter, and the thought of him being more successful than me is driving me crazy. If he doesn't want to date me I can at least show him in the end by being a bigger success (I told you I was being honest)

3. I'm still not sure what I want to do with my life yet. I like politics, media, writing, campaigns, global development and journalism. Maybe a JD would be a good asset to have?

4. I want the prestige of a JD from a great school. Maybe I would score really really high on the LSAT and get into an amazing law school.

5. I love school and I love an academic challenge. Grad school was actually easier than I thought and I want something more rigorous.

6. I'm scared of entering the real world and failing. 3 more years of law school would delay it and maybe give me a better chance of succeeding.
7. See #2

So yeah, that's it. Give me all you've got.
Most of the "reasons" you give for getting a law degree are not good ones. You should only go to law school if it is your passion.

You do realize that there are far more law school graduates than jobs nowadays?

The Employment Rate Falls Again for Recent Law School Graduates - Businessweek

Just How Bad Off Are Law School Graduates? | TIME.com

Old 07-18-2014, 04:23 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
There are cheaper ways of getting into law-related fields.

Enrolled Agent - This is a designation that allows you to represent clients in front of the IRS just as a tax lawyer would. However, most enrolled agents spend most of their time preparing tax returns. You're required to pass three tests for which you can study on your own.
Enrolled Agent Information

U.S. Tax Court Practitioner - The U.S. Tax Court offers an exam every two years to non-attorneys who are looking to be admitted to practice in front of the court. The exam is inexpensive, but only has a 5-10% pass rate.
http://www.ustaxcourt.gov/forms/Nonattorney_Info.pdf

Patent Agent - This requires a science, engineering, or computer science degree and passage of the Patent Bar. There are additional requirements and alternative ways to qualify with loose science credits; more information is provided in the General Requirements Bulletin. This designation allows you to submit patent applications on behalf of clients. If you decide to go to law school later on, you can upgrade to being a patent attorney
http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/exam/OED_GRB.pdf

Certified Paralegal - Depending on the state, licensure/registration through the government might be required. My state doesn't require that paralegals or legal assistants be licensed, registered, or certified. However, NALA certification is seen as a plus by employers.
Applying for the Exam and Form Requirements

Old 07-18-2014, 06:11 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
People have gone to law school for much worse reasons. As long as it interests you and it isn't boring for you, go for it.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:45 PM

425 posts, read 431,735 times
I can't imagine much worse reasons. And those people who had them, I'm betting most of them didn't last very long.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:10 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,804 times
OP.. you gave gotten some excellent feedback on going to law school.
Let me add my .02...

"2. I'm trying to impress a guy who goes to a very good law school. I probably like him more than he likes me, it's making me bitter, and the thought of him being more successful than me is driving me crazy. If he doesn't want to date me I can at least show him in the end by being a bigger success (I told you I was being honest)"

This is pure fantasy-thinking that is worthy of a fourteen year old, not a college graduate.
Maybe you did not get the memo, but men are not hot for brainy, competitive, women! ..and the "successfull" part is a day-dream that will take years to be realized! Why do you think so many American guys are marrying Asian women - because they have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do?

"6. I'm scared of entering the real world and failing. 3 more years of law school would delay it and maybe give me a better chance of succeeding."

Honestly, I figured this out by the time I read #4.
You sound like a nice Jewish girl (are you?) because I know a few generations of lawyers like you describe, so please take this as a compliment!

But your reasoning is flawed if you think simply delaying entry into the grown-up world increases your chances of success in that world. Unless you are going for a PHD or an MD or a JD (because you sincerely want to be a lawyer), it won't... and you could turn into a perpetual student.
So unless you are a trust fund baby I don't think it is financially wise in the long run; and emotionally, or psychologically, you might emerge a really spoiled scairdy cat.

It's really hard figuring out what to want in today's world, but I wish you well in any case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities