Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:06 PM

18 posts, read 23,973 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 years old.
I will continue my schooling next semester in this September.
I have another year left of my psychology program.
I plan on becoming a teacher.
But that means I need to go to teacher's college for another 2 years.
So I will finish my psychology degree by the time I'm 25.
But I need another 2 years of teacher's college.
So I would be 27 to 28 by the time I can become a teacher.

If I can't become a teacher with my psychology degree, what can I do with my psychology degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:20 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Business administration uses psychology. Any job where you'd be supervising people would use psychology. If you want to be a practicing psychologist, you'd need to get an M.A.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times
lol, sorry, you are not going to use your psychology degree to land a job supervising people in "Business Administration" functions. Fact of the matter is, Psychology degrees are only worth it if you get a Masters and become a licensed therapist or get a PhD and become a clinical psychologist.

You can't just get a degree in Psychology and then make it fit whatever you want, there is a reason degrees have career paths. Accounting for a CPA, Poli Sci/law for attorneys, etc.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
lol, sorry, you are not going to use your psychology degree to land a job supervising people in "Business Administration" functions. Fact of the matter is, Psychology degrees are only worth it if you get a Masters and become a licensed therapist or get a PhD and become a clinical psychologist.

You can't just get a degree in Psychology and then make it fit whatever you want, there is a reason degrees have career paths. Accounting for a CPA, Poli Sci/law for attorneys, etc.
You have to keep in mind that it's not 1999 anymore.

Psychology is taking off in the tech sector (and has been for a decade). Tech is very competitive however... so if you're not from a good school, you're going to have a tough time.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-03-2014 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 08-01-2014, 01:00 AM

438 posts, read 653,556 times
Quote:

This is true only to a certain extent. Psychology is a huge field. It is not limited to the clinical stuff. In management, marketing, social media...there is a special connection. What are people thinking, and why? And how can we get them to buy our stuff? Every corporation wants to know the answers to these questions. Forget clinical psychology, there's no money in it. Blend your degree with a masters degree in business/marketing and focus on client recruitment and retention. Throw in one or more foreign languages to boot (Spanish, French, Mandarin). Recruiters will be calling you.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,701 times
Become a social worker.

Go into marketing. But good marketers have the right personality type and can be good at it without the degrees.

Psychology is regarded as an easy subject to get a degree in, so you are competing with all of the other people who took the subject.

psik

Old 08-01-2014, 07:40 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
Quote:
lol, sorry, you are not going to use your psychology degree to land a job supervising people in "Business Administration" functions.
Unless you get an MBA. Psychology is part of the curriculum. Someone with a degree in Psych would come out ahead a little. It would look good on their resume.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:42 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
This is true only to a certain extent. Psychology is a huge field. It is not limited to the clinical stuff. In management, marketing, social media...there is a special connection. What are people thinking, and why? And how can we get them to buy our stuff? Every corporation wants to know the answers to these questions. Forget clinical psychology, there's no money in it. Blend your degree with a masters degree in business/marketing and focus on client recruitment and retention. Throw in one or more foreign languages to boot (Spanish, French, Mandarin). Recruiters will be calling you.
Or how can we get our employees to do what we want, or be more efficient, etc. Psychology has broad applications. The OP figured one out--teaching.

Psychology is essential for Human Resources work, and the hiring process. Interviewers need to be able to size up candidates. Those who do a good job are invaluable. Those who don't have a good psych background or enough experience to size people up end up hiring employees who later become a problem. It can cost the company money, if someone has to be fired, and a new batch of people have to be interviewed.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:57 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Advertising, such as finding out how to get people to click on an annoying pop-up, or trying to narrowly target consumers based on their preferences and shopping patterns. Soon, as we walk down store aisles, hidden microphones will call out our names and remind us of things we like, maybe play a few seconds of our favorite music, then make a sales pitch for New Beenie Weenies With Cannabis! or perhaps a super-smart garbage can.

They'll need psychologists to figure out how to do that most compellingly.

Last edited by Woof; 08-01-2014 at 08:27 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 08:12 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,943,199 times
My daughter got her degree in psychology in 2011 and has been a case worker since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities