Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:30 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times

Advertisements

A lot of kids have HS graduation parties and instead of getting duplicates or stuff they don't want, the parents can point invitees to the registry. They've been around for awhile. We never used them and in our group of friends most people just gave money to the grads.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:33 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
It's been around for a while and it's great to mention to out of town relatives who want to know what to get the new HS graduate.
My son had 'wants' like car care products, freezer to microwave storage containers, crates and caddies for organizing his things, a small area rug, etc. Since he had access to a full kitchen, stuff like a small set of pans, cooking utensils, dishes, other odds and ends that would also come in handy in a first apartment. And it' always nice to have some extra bedding and towels so that you aren't having to do laundry every couple of days (or worse, using the same stinky towel for a week!)

Old 08-08-2014, 10:57 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Yes, what DubbleT posted.

I agree that "less is more" because dorm rooms are tiny but given the cost of everything these days, even a decent quality mini microwave and fridge will cost almost $300 (OK, there are some two-fer-deals to be had, but I don't know about the quality), so it makes sense to do that IF there are some well-heeled people to toss in a few bucks.

Oh, heck, I'll admit I've bought several microwaves and such for relatives. It helps to know what others have gotten without having to phone or email them, so I appreciated the registry.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
You have to admit though it's a big market. Girls can now go off to their dorms totally coordinated.
A co-worker rented a uhaul pull behind to take his son off to college.

There's even a growing market to make loft bed frames so that there is more space in the room (under the loft bed desk/study space).

Old 08-08-2014, 11:23 AM

Yes, and I've built a few lofts in my day, both for me and for others.

I dislike the coordination trend. I've been sent to Super Target to check for more "pink" whatevers when the Target where a relative was shopping ran out.

I'm trying not to be an Old Meanie but honestly, my stuff fit in the back of a Vega hatchback and later when I was renting rooms in houses, a pickup truck. I kept things to a minimum because I was moving almost every semester.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:47 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginator View Post
Not a terrible idea. Most 18 year olds don't have the money to buy all the stuff they need for college, so putting together a registry can help.
Funny, but when I was in college, nobody needed all that stuff. I was looking at the "First child in college" thread. Nobody had a fridge, let alone a microwave (most dorms these days have a kitchen, why would anyone need a microwave in their room, and where would they put it? Many dorm rooms are so small, there's no room for that stuff), shower caddies, laundry hampers, etc. etc. No one had any of that stuff. Why do they need it now? Going-away-to-college has become commercialized, like the big back-to-school shopping hullabaloo, and various holiday gift-giving occasions.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:31 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Back to College 2014 : Dorm Room Essentials : Target

Check out the link that says "find or create a college registry." The link won't paste here accurately, but here it is:

https://www-secure.target.com/gift-r...0Y1|T:Template B-DVM|C:CMS&intc=1725553|null

Seriously?

SERIOUSLY?

Why is this bad? Did you have lots of money to buy everything you needed in college?

Old 08-08-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Nobody had a fridge, let alone a microwave (most dorms these days have a kitchen, why would anyone need a microwave in their room.
I said the same thing. This is what I was told: unlike when a lot of us went to college, there are now several types of meal plans and it's cheaper to get some TV dinners for at least one of the meals. Things like "Café Steamers" (there are others!) are easy to microwave.

I was also told that things disappear from the community kitchen, and some dorms only have one for the entire building for student use (and it's small).

But I agree with those who are dismayed with a lot of this. I built book shelves with cement blocks and scrap lumber (still do!) . . . I didn't have money for folding furniture, and microwaves back then were large and several hundred dollars.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:23 PM

398 posts, read 471,175 times
This would have been an excellent thing for me, when I went off to college in 2005.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's been around for a while and it's great to mention to out of town relatives who want to know what to get the new HS graduate.
My son had 'wants' like car care products, freezer to microwave storage containers, crates and caddies for organizing his things, a small area rug, etc. Since he had access to a full kitchen, stuff like a small set of pans, cooking utensils, dishes, other odds and ends that would also come in handy in a first apartment. And it' always nice to have some extra bedding and towels so that you aren't having to do laundry every couple of days (or worse, using the same stinky towel for a week!)
I guess we were ghetto at UT-Austin because no matter where you were moving IN near campus, there was always someone moving out who was either selling their stuff or giving it away. The end of spring semester was best for this...we'd go around and collect free or dirt cheap stuff for an apartment after we left the dorms. I remember my roommates and I spent $40 on a sofa, $10 on a desk, and got a whole bunch of kitchen stuff for free. What we couldn't get for free from people moving out, we found in dumpsters at apartment complexes. Yup, people really WILL throw that crap away. Goodwill was also a great source for that stuff. The only stuff we bought new was wooden spoons and cutting boards, because...ewwwww. Everything else? Washable. We PIF'd it after graduation...gave it away to other students just moving in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's even a growing market to make loft bed frames so that there is more space in the room (under the loft bed desk/study space).
Weird. Almost every single room on UT's campus had built-in furniture when I was a student there. Dressers, closets, beds, desks, etc....all built-in. You didn't need any furniture. There wasn't room for any anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Funny, but when I was in college, nobody needed all that stuff. I was looking at the "First child in college" thread. Nobody had a fridge, let alone a microwave (most dorms these days have a kitchen, why would anyone need a microwave in their room, and where would they put it? Many dorm rooms are so small, there's no room for that stuff), shower caddies, laundry hampers, etc. etc. No one had any of that stuff. Why do they need it now? Going-away-to-college has become commercialized, like the big back-to-school shopping hullabaloo, and various holiday gift-giving occasions.
I had a shower caddy because we had a community bathroom; it went in the bottom of my closet when I wasn't using it, didn't take up much space. I had a laundry bag too because we had community laundry rooms on every floor. We did not have community kitchens and hot plates were banned. Most students had a small fridge and/or microwave. Some even had one of those tiny 4-cup coffee makers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities