Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 01:47 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

A California couple is speaking out after they say their finances have been devastated over their daughter’s student loan debt, which they are being forced to repay after the woman died unexpectedly four years ago.

Steve and Darnelle Mason’s 27-year-old daughter Lisa died suddenly from a liver disease, leaving behind three children.

California couple struggling after being forced to pay deceased daughter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 06:02 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
They signed on the dotted line, did they read the fine print?

Keep in mind these are private loans, not Federal.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
"Mason said he believes private student loans should be regulated the same as federal student loans, and should be able to be forgiven if the borrower dies. He also said he believes student loans should be able to be discharged in bankruptcy, like other types of debt."

Why am I not surprised by this! Hopefully, they are receiving SSI/death benefits for the children to pay for the loans. He needed to say WE not she signed the loans....not sympathic since she could have gone to community college for her degree. Over a hundred grand, for real?

Someone in the comments claims she was addicted to painkillers and her parents won a lawsuit against a doctor that wrote the scripts..... Only found this: http://www.abqjournal.com/39125/news...omplaints.html and this: http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=245851

Whether it's true or not, the parents are actually trying to get cash from people on this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...den-death.html

Old 08-10-2014, 06:40 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A California couple is speaking out after they say their finances have been devastated over their daughter’s student loan debt, which they are being forced to repay after the woman died unexpectedly four years ago.

Steve and Darnelle Mason’s 27-year-old daughter Lisa died suddenly from a liver disease, leaving behind three children.

California couple struggling after being forced to pay deceased daughter
Steve Mason said he and his wife, who had co-signed the loans, were contacted immediately after his daughter’s death and were told they must start making payments.

“We knew if she didn’t pay her debt we would be responsible by co-signing, but we didn’t know that if she died the debt would fall to us,” he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone apparently had a poor understanding of the term "co-signer."

Old 08-10-2014, 06:49 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
I don't know for sure about private student loans, but with other types of loans (car and house) the insurance that forgives the loan if the person dies is usually offered. Otherwise, of course the cosigner is responsible. This is their own fault.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:11 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I'm sorry they lost their daughter. ):

No sympathy about the fallout from being a co-signer, though, and I agree with the previous poster. If you must co-sign get some protection.

I don't co-sign anything at my age. Funding my retirement is Priority One.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Working mom, three kids, no life insurance?

Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 AM

506 posts, read 326,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Working mom, three kids, no life insurance?
What I was thinking.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:29 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Only because these are private loans. Government-subsidized student loans ARE forgiven if the student dies.

Sooo... PLUS loans are forgiven. Private loans are not.

This is something people should know before they co-sign student loans.

Which makes me wonder if there were more loans she had that WERE forgiven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities