Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 AM

5,885 posts, read 3,867,033 times

Advertisements

It seems as if the sales industry is one area where many liberal arts graduates find themselves pursuing after graduation. Do you, or have you known, of any LA grad who did exceptionally well in this field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:12 AM

22,319 posts, read 47,272,432 times
Yes, but he did well because of his personality, NOT his degree.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:36 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,904,022 times
Sales is the field that often accepts a person with any college degree. That's why alot of liberal arts majors or those with no focus go into sales. Also, I agree with Pitt Chick.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 AM

10,293 posts, read 10,539,277 times
While it is true that the sales field often accepts people with any college degree, it is becoming more and more common for companies to want technical backgrounds and experience. The medical sales field is a good example. Many firms in this field prefere to hire someone with a life science degree such as biology or nursing. The IT field is similar in that areas like software sales often want someone with industry experience or some type of IT or accounting degree.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,028,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
It seems as if the sales industry is one area where many liberal arts graduates find themselves pursuing after graduation. Do you, or have you known, of any LA grad who did exceptionally well in this field?

The degree has nothing to do with the skills and personality needed to be a good sales person.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:50 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,558,099 times
I'll add that for the reasons mentioned above, many OSU grads in liberal arts ended up at Nationwide Insurance (HQ in downtown Cols) and in various call centers around Cols, along with the communications majors.

Maybe 15 or 20 years ago, liberal arts as an undergrad major might've been okay, but even when I was in college, it was an MRS major: women went into it while looking for a husband getting a degree in medicine or engineering. Her goal was to find a husband who was going to make a good living so that she could stay home with the kids. In the meantime, she needed a major that left her plenty of time to socialize, and many became Greeks, which takes up a ton of time.

Say what you will, but even with "women's liberation" in the 70s, this has still been the plan of a great many women and probably some men in this day and age.

I happen to think it's the lazy way out and they deserve what they get in the end, but we've always had slackers in our society.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:06 AM

22,319 posts, read 47,272,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

I happen to think it's the lazy way out and they deserve what they get in the end, but we've always had slackers in our society.
What?
How is getting a college degree "the lazy way out"?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 AM

102,082 posts, read 107,113,138 times
Quote:
Yes. My nephew has done outstandingly well in this field. He took some specialized courses in college having to do with sales-oriented communication skills.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:10 AM

9,613 posts, read 21,168,035 times
Quote:
Generally speaking, people who are good at sales are the ones who do exceptionally well in the sales field.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:19 AM

10,263 posts, read 13,783,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I'll add that for the reasons mentioned above, many OSU grads in liberal arts ended up at Nationwide Insurance (HQ in downtown Cols) and in various call centers around Cols, along with the communications majors.

Maybe 15 or 20 years ago, liberal arts as an undergrad major might've been okay, but even when I was in college, it was an MRS major: women went into it while looking for a husband getting a degree in medicine or engineering. Her goal was to find a husband who was going to make a good living so that she could stay home with the kids. In the meantime, she needed a major that left her plenty of time to socialize, and many became Greeks, which takes up a ton of time.

Say what you will, but even with "women's liberation" in the 70s, this has still been the plan of a great many women and probably some men in this day and age.

I saw this in my college except with art majors and some elementary ed majors, I never personally knew any liberal arts majors but it wouldn't surprise me. We had lots of Mrs. degree seekers and I think women's liberation missed a lot of women at our college. We even had someone with the student newspaper who wrote a piece on it my junior year.

I also agree that liberal arts is a lazy way out of college. And as far as sales go, there are probably quite a few liberal arts majors who are good at selling French fries out of a drive through window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities