Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:57 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,215 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a math, econ, and physics class. In my math class I will use mathematica and mathlab, physics I will use python and in my econ class r and stata. These classes didn't require a cs pre req.

This also leads to my new theory that comp sci is a worthless major. the amount i know about data structures and computer arch is a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 11:04 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
About 5 years ago students graduated without ever having to delve into programming in lots of STEM fields, especially life sciences. They just submitted their data and it was pumped out by the computer lab. I made it all the way through undergrad without ever needing programming in my classes. Only in the lab where I worked was I exposed to programming. So I am now a grad student and in my first year, out of 6 classes, 3 of them were programming (2 semesters of R and one semester of SAS).

Old 08-19-2014, 11:39 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
This also leads to my new theory that comp sci is a worthless major. the amount i know about data structures and computer arch is a crime.
That's surprising. I didn't study computer science as an undergrad, but I did go back to school for a CS Masters. 100% of the classmates that I socialized with had jobs lined up before graduation. We're a few years out now, and not a single person that I keep in touch with regrets it, at all.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:20 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
" how can the average college student pass college and not know how to program?"

Because the average college student avoids all math.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:45 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
"how can the average college student pass college and not know how to program?"

Because it is not a requirement for all majors.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Besides the Visual Basic course I took when I was a computer science major, I never had to do any programming. I took college algebra, graduate-level statistics, and linear regression. We just plugged some stuff in to Stata.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Let's see what you know.

Explain the Java Collection API to me.

/*The average non-Java programmer w/ a comp sci degree can read it and comprehend without actually knowing Java.*/
what do you want to know about it?

It's provides a series of related classes and interfaces that supports another object so a programmer doesn't spend all his/her time writing out the same methods, constructors, etc over and over again. It's already "given to you" in the java development kit, you just import them in using java.util.(name) or just use java.util.* to import all collections. It's useful for data structures like stacks, linked lists, queues, etc that are used repeatedly.

I'm not quite sure why you have a picture of the Abstractcollection class & subclasses or what you want me to say about it. You can see the different parent and child classes as indicated by the arrows.

The root interface for the hierarchy is called collection. Everything is a "child" of collection.

/* I don't program much in my cs classes anymore. I literally sit around and learn how computers are built. I'm taking a elective cs class on databases. We aren't taught SQL. we're taught how to make databases. It's not efficient, especially when you compare it to a bit above entry level econ, math and physics classes. Those students are being taught the practical/applied side. It's so much more useful. */

Last edited by stellastar2345; 08-19-2014 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 08:04 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Besides the Visual Basic course I took when I was a computer science major, I never had to do any programming. I took college algebra, graduate-level statistics, and linear regression. We just plugged some stuff in to Stata.
Say what? What kind of CS program only has you learn one rudimentary language? Was your highest level of mathematics college algebra as a CS major?

Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Say what? What kind of CS program only has you learn one rudimentary language? Was your highest level of mathematics college algebra as a CS major?
Don't be so surprised. I was only formally taught two languages in my college. They require up to calc 3 here, but the highest I've actually used in class is algebra.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:53 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
what do you want to know about it?

It's provides a series of related classes and interfaces that supports another object so a programmer doesn't spend all his/her time writing out the same methods, constructors, etc over and over again. It's already "given to you" in the java development kit, you just import them in using java.util.(name) or just use java.util.* to import all collections. It's useful for data structures like stacks, linked lists, queues, etc that are used repeatedly.

I'm not quite sure why you have a picture of the Abstractcollection class & subclasses or what you want me to say about it. You can see the different parent and child classes as indicated by the arrows.

The root interface for the hierarchy is called collection. Everything is a "child" of collection.

/* I don't program much in my cs classes anymore.I literally sit around and learn how computers are built. I'm taking a elective cs class on databases. We aren't taught SQL. we're taught how to make databases. It's not efficient, especially when you compare it to a bit above entry level econ, math and physics classes. Those students are being taught the practical/applied side. It's so much more useful. */
Not bad

Except the part in bold, when an Interface is implemented the class creates a HAS-A relationship, so it is not a child. Unless it is another interface, that may be what you meant by child. A class extending another class or an abstract class creates an IS-A relationship, which would be a child.

Is it a DB Administration course or a DB Developer course? Regardless, it seems like a bad school/professor if you aren't learning SQL though. I don't see how people can take a DB class, creating DBs and not have SQL knowledge. It is the foundation.

All a CS degree does is focus on the aspects that you are having sprinkled all over your econ, math and physics class. Just because you take Physics and run something in Fortran, doesn't mean you understand the Software Engineering Lifecycle or a Disaster Recovery solution.

Finally, there is a lot more to a CS degree than programming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities