Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 AM

155 posts, read 165,398 times

Advertisements

Does the SAT or ACT test repeat question from previous exams?

Are there any subject explanation on the Act Real Prep Guide or the book only contains question and how to solve them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichig View Post
Does the SAT or ACT test repeat question from previous exams?

Are there any subject explanation on the Act Real Prep Guide or the book only contains question and how to solve them?
Unless they've changed their procedures, both SAT and ACT maintain question banks, so -- yes -- questions from previous exams get re-used but not necessarily the next testing cycle. It may be the one after or later in the year. Tests are somewhat generated at random, so there's no good way to predict that. There are also some sections with new questions that won't count towards your score, but as a test taker, you won't know which questions are experimental.

I haven't looked at the testing prep guides for awhile but if the "real" ACT prep guide isn't helpful, you might stop in at Barnes & Noble (or other store) and look at others or go online to Amazon and see what they have and how other students have ranked them.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Unless they've changed their procedures, both SAT and ACT maintain question banks, so -- yes -- questions from previous exams get re-used but not necessarily the next testing cycle. It may be the one after or later in the year. Tests are somewhat generated at random, so there's no good way to predict that. There are also some sections with new questions that won't count towards your score, but as a test taker, you won't know which questions are experimental.

I haven't looked at the testing prep guides for awhile but if the "real" ACT prep guide isn't helpful, you might stop in at Barnes & Noble (or other store) and look at others or go online to Amazon and see what they have and how other students have ranked them.
Thank you!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:

I was doing the Act from 2004-2005 and it seems that test is exactly the same as one Act test from other years, is this common?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I was doing the Act from 2004-2005 and it seems that test is exactly the same as one Act test from other years, is this common?
I suspect that it wasn't "exactly" the same but the questions for each section of the ACT in the test bank have similar wordings (they have to so it's "fair"), plus they will appear in a different order, within the section, in each test.

I used to be an item writer for the ACT. They have most likely made changes in how the tests are constructed to keep up with technology, but it looks like they've kept the same basic overall structures.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I suspect that it wasn't "exactly" the same but the questions for each section of the ACT in the test bank have similar wordings (they have to so it's "fair"), plus they will appear in a different order, within the section, in each test.

I used to be an item writer for the ACT. They have most likely made changes in how the tests are constructed to keep up with technology, but it looks like they've kept the same basic overall structures.
Thank you for the answer.

Are the Prepairing for the act the Past test? For example, Prepairing for the act 2013-2014 is the Acts tests infrom 2013 or 2012?

Old 08-24-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the answer.
Are the Prepairing for the act the Past test? For example, Prepairing for the act 2013-2014 is the Acts tests infrom 2013 or 2012?
I'm not absolutely sure what you're asking, but I'll take a stab at it.

I don't know what exactly what they are doing now.

In the past, they were using a computerized test generator for the non-experimental sections, drawing from a test bank. For example, let's say the reading section question bank has 100 questions in it, but the test uses 21. Odds are that some of the same questions will appear, but also there are questions that have very similar wording, plus the order will be different. Several different versions are generated for the year, so the exact test isn't repeated.

Don't forget about the experimental questions. Those get slotted in, as well.

I don't know how often the older questions are rotated out, but I'm sure there's some sort of yearly schedule. I also imagine the entire test bank turns over at least once within a 2 - 3 year period.

If you use the most current study materials and review "concepts" rather than trying to memorize question answers, you'll do fine.

Last edited by Meemur; 08-24-2014 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities