Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,216 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm a 21 year old who is looking to get back into college. Where I live is pretty rural in the USA. I went to community college for two years and started my degree towards computer science and did relatively well. I went straight out of highschool when I was 17, working a little job on campus, and still living with my parents. After that I took some time off because I moved into my own place and was trying hard to save some money before I transferred to the only other school within 30 miles. Eventually I went from living alone to moving in with my boyfriend of 4 years, even more recently we moved into a house together that I think we can't afford but since his credit is bad he sees this his only opportunity to own a house. My dream was to go back to school and I got financial aid and everything together and applied for a loan and went back to school last fall. Problem is I applied for full-time since on financial aid for the year and couldn't reduce to part-time. To be able to afford gas and living expenses I was working full-time and going to school full time and everything eventually took its toll on me. I had no life, made no friends at school, wasn't able to join clubs or anything because I was working at walmart all the time (even weekends) and trying to keep up with school. I was depressed because I had no life and I felt like I was working all the time and making nothing. Everything became to much and I eventually started talking to a therpaist about it, among other things (I probably should have spoke to one about my issues before then, honestly). Once things got so out of hand, I didn't leave my bed for days at a time, calling into work, and just feeling miserable. Things got worse and I eventually just completely stopped going to school. It didnt take long -this happened at the end of October. I didn't withdraw - which I should have- I just stopped showing up and ended up failing the semster (I left in October with some classes with A's). Dumb, stupid thing for me to do I know.

What I'm wondering is could I go back? Could I go back to that same school? Or any school? Would they accept me back? I'm in a better position over all to go back. I have a much better paying full time job, with benefits that I'm happy with. I would keep this job forever but the pay isn't too great (much better than walmart) and it's dead end, plus I want to finish the degree that I started. I'm working second shift and there is down-time, enough for me to get 3-4 hours of homework done a night while getting paid. I want to go back part-time and be able to mange myself and my time and meet new people. One of the biggest detriments of how things went last time was that I was so horribly lonely. I had little chance to meet new people aside from the 5 minutes before class started. Having some sort of social aspect is important to me- I wouldn't want to do an online school. This school is the closest one offering the classes I need to graduate. I could re-locate but I am very happy with my boyfriend, we have a good thing going, and he would be very hurt if I decided to move out/leave him-which I don't want to do. I also could NOT move back in with my parents - my home life wasn't great and I'm surprised I graduated community college while living with my parents.

Someone told me I would need to speak to my academic advisor about going back and if I could be put on a probationary period at the school, but I don't even know who my advisor is. As a transfer the school didn't make me set up a date to meet with him/her - only towards the end of semster when we need to choose classes for the next semster was when I could meet with him/her. I could look him/her up but I am no longer enrolled there and can't access the system.

My mother told me that of course they would accept me back if I explain the situation - colleges want my money. My sister told me that I could explain to FASFA why I left and provide proof that I was without a doubt going to therapy and that I could possibly get my financial aid back. Can someone help me? What steps should I take on going back? I'm not even sure where to begin. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Someone told me I would need to speak to my academic advisor about going back and if I could be put on a probationary period at the school, but I don't even know who my advisor is.
Phone the college admissions office between 9 am - 5 pm and ask to speak to an admissions counselor. Tell him/her what you wrote in your post.

You probably don't have the same advisor anymore, but they can assign you a new one.

What "someone" said is probably accurate but the admissions counselor will tell you the specific steps that you need to take next.

Quote:
My sister told me that I could explain to FASFA why I left and provide proof that I was without a doubt going to therapy and that I could possibly get my financial aid back.
Meet with a financial aid advisor at the college. S/he will be better able to advise you.

Lots of people have made a mistake like that, have gone back, worked hard, and been just fine. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:03 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Speak to an admissions counselor. Don't be surprised if they take you back under a provisional status. A ,ot of people don't do well their first time around, so it is not a permanent barrier.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,721 times
They'll probably let you in. Sounds like you had some of the same issues I had, overwork, limited world perspectives, relationship issues, financial constraints. They can all be overcome with good counsel, good planning, hard work, ambition and desire.

It took me three schools and eight years for undergrad. Grad schools was a piece of cake! I did get a couple of Incompletes, but also was allowed to re enroll and finish a couple of the classes that I had wiped out on.

Be sure to keeping your faculty advisor, department head or a trusted faculty member updated on your circumstances so they can assist you. They are there to help you.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,216 times
Thank you all for your help! I'm going calling admissions and the financial department at the school later this week to work something out.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I withdrew from classes in 1997, and didn't resume again until 2012. Granted, it's a community college, so it wasn't particularly hard to drop back in; the only snag was with financial aid, as there was a block on my account from the previous withdrawals. Removing the block was at the discretion of the school and I was told to submit an affidavit, explaining the circumstances behind my previous withdrawals, as well as my plans to avoid doing so again. My letter was approved and the block was removed so I could get financial aid, but they did keep me on probation for my first semester back and made it crystal clear that there will be no 3rd chances.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:55 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
OP, how about an update? How is it going for you? I'm sure others will have the same question at some point and will be interested in how you fared.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:07 PM

227 posts, read 258,123 times
You would most likely be on academic probation but if you complete a semester and meet satisfactory progress you would then be back to 'normal'. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2014, 04:57 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsmith View Post
Thank you all for your help! I'm going calling admissions and the financial department at the school later this week to work something out.
Depending on how long it has been, there is something called "academic forgiveness" and your admissions counselor would be an excellent person to consult about this.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:40 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
OP, how about an update? How is it going for you? I'm sure others will have the same question at some point and will be interested in how you fared.
Agreed.

Although, I did something similar to OP. Only I wasn't getting any financial aid. I went back to the same school that I just walked away from. Had to write a letter to appeal my suspension from school.

In my case it'd been 14 years since I'd walked away, so a lot had changed. But as a reference for anyone else reading this, ALWAYS withdraw from your classes if you decide to stop going, it makes things so much easier if you decide to return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities