Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I don't quite understand how students are getting their hands on the cash. When I borrowed for grad school, the money went directly to the college. It was first applied to my tuition and then the remainder was put into an account at the college bookstore, which was generally just barely enough to cover books. Any leftover amount was refunded to me, but the amounts were $50 or less, hardly enough for any extras.

Mine did, as well. I never personally saw a dime of the money; it went straight to my school, with every bit going toward tuition and on-campus room/board, and there was no remainder. I assumed for years that this was how it worked for everyone, but evidently that is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 05:02 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
........Now, my graduate degree is in the biology, and the vast majority of us had fellowships, TA'ed etc, and did NOT take out much financial aid at all, since those fellowships, grants and TA opportunities did cover the basics BUT those who did take out financial aid, and frequently it was for additional family related expenses.........
I find it amazing that anyone could be married and have a kid and be working on a biology graduate degree. Well, to be fair, a marine bio lab TA was married, but..............

..................when I was looking at graduate degrees and considered biology, UG #2 is marine biology, after seeing all the extra hoops in that degree, I decided I was too old to be a slave and looked elsewhere.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:39 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
So I went to my grad school orientation the other day and a woman raised her hand during the Q&A session, her question: "Can I get more than 20k a year in aid because I have two kids and cant raise them on that."

PEOPLE: Financial aid is to cover your cost of education and BASIC living costs, its not meant for raising children! You need to have your close family help you out with the kids during your education. If your financial aid is loans then you have to pay that back! With interest! The more you spend now covering childcare, the larger your payments will be in ~2 years!

Ironically the head of the Q&A panel was the Loan default Coordinator and I could see her turning red as she was politely answering the question, and not the answer she wanted to give....
Hopefully she wasn't majoring in liberal arts, too.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I find it amazing that anyone could be married and have a kid and be working on a biology graduate degree. Well, to be fair, a marine bio lab TA was married, but..............

..................when I was looking at graduate degrees and considered biology, UG #2 is marine biology, after seeing all the extra hoops in that degree, I decided I was too old to be a slave and looked elsewhere.
Back in my day, and through at least the 70s, many grad students were married, and some few had kids. Lots of male med students were married with children.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:33 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Raising kids? Lol are you kidding? They buy cars, clothes, give out loans, and take vacations using those "student loans." You need to watch Judge Judy.

It's become the latest scam--adults taking a few classes and acquiring loan after loan instead of getting a job. And then looking for a taxpayer bailout

Nice country, this America.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:39 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,168 times
I am in grad school right now and qualify for $25,000/year in federal loans. $10,000 for fall and spring and $5,000 for the summer. If I go full time, 3 class, my tuition is $3,300 + books and parking. Basically you go onto the schools website before the semester and type in the amount you want. So if I take $5,000 and my tuition is $3,300 I then get the rest deposited into my bank account. I work full time so I don't need money for housing and such but some students do. I have heard of students using money to travel and pay off credit card debt so who knows, at the end of the day the money does have to be paid back regardless of what the money is initially used for.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:49 PM

230 posts, read 330,480 times
In my undergrad I got around $5K back from financial aid and used it for going on vacations

Old 08-26-2014, 11:14 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
As for raising children, there were few parents were I was in grad school. Most of the married couples were being careful not to have a baby at that point because there wasn't enough money or time to raise one.

I know. It's a different world, now.
In case you haven't noticed, a very large number of people with kids aren't married. It isn't a good idea but once it's done, I appreciate it when they try to make something of themselves. So I can certainly understand them using college financial aid funds to support their kids.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Eh, Im married with a kid on the way and Im working on my Masters in Accounting, while working full time. It can be done, just with little sleep.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:03 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Eh, Im married with a kid on the way and Im working on my Masters in Accounting, while working full time. It can be done, just with little sleep.
But that's in accounting......I was talking about biology. As I said, the description I read about what one's life is like did make it sound quite a bit like being a slave.

As it is, I have two masters degrees. Got them both working full time....and I have 0 academic related debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities