Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 02:54 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
That is true, some majors are more marketable than others. I wish I would have studied English to be honest, and NOT History. Although you do the same things, reading, writing, editing, critical analysis, it seems like it is not respected as much in the private sector.

As for general studies, I doubt it. For some odd reason, there are a lot of people majoring in it in my school and many of them just want a degree just so they can say that they have one.

It is very interesting what you studied, what is it that you do now?

Eh in my experience the English degree does not open up that many more doors when compared to the history degree. Now obviously one has to account for other factors. For instance did the guy with the English degree, have past experience, internships, know someone internally etc... did the History major have the same or did the history major just do class-dorm for the past 4 years.

However if I am to compare History degree vs English degree within a vacuum, I don't believe the English degree is very much over the history degree. Sure the English degree probably looks better when applying for the technical writer, publishing, editorial assistant type job- however in general there are usually far more applicants than there are job openings for that type of work so any advantage of English vs history is almost moot, it is more English degree vs XX number of people with English degree for X number of job openings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 04:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
I hate when people say its the person. It's not always the person. The private sector (and sometimes HR) dictate what is valuable there, not us. So if someone cannot get hired because of what they studied and they were told that they would be able to find something with a liberal arts degree, then how is that the fault of the person that studied it?

Just to test this out, I changed my major from History to Corporate Communications, and believe it or not, I saw a difference. I didn't change, just my degree title. So what does that tell us?
What difference are you referring to that you saw?

Old 04-11-2016, 01:45 PM

847 posts, read 1,457,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Eh in my experience the English degree does not open up that many more doors when compared to the history degree. Now obviously one has to account for other factors. For instance did the guy with the English degree, have past experience, internships, know someone internally etc... did the History major have the same or did the history major just do class-dorm for the past 4 years.

However if I am to compare History degree vs English degree within a vacuum, I don't believe the English degree is very much over the history degree. Sure the English degree probably looks better when applying for the technical writer, publishing, editorial assistant type job- however in general there are usually far more applicants than there are job openings for that type of work so any advantage of English vs history is almost moot, it is more English degree vs XX number of people with English degree for X number of job openings.
One of my best friends was a History major. I do not feel that English is more marketable than History or vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities