Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:48 PM

5 posts, read 15,655 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I am a New Zealand undergraduate student majoring in history and planning on going on an exchange to USA next year. My university has partner universities including:

American University (Washington, DC)
Georgia Institute of Technology (Atlanta, GA)
University of Texas at Austin
Texas A&M (College Station, TX)
University of Oklahoma (Norman, OK)
University of California (Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Berkeley & San Diego) (If I pick University of California I have to pick 3 campuses in order of what one I would like to go to more, so if you think this university is in the top three also suggest top 3 in order of cities mentioned

So basically I have to pick three Universities in order of preference! I'm working really hard at my university at the moment so that I do not have to work super hard when I'm over there for the year! I'm not too concerned with university rankings etc. What I'm more interested in is out of the universities listed what three, in order, would give me the best college experience (sorta like in the movies/tv shows etc) but also what three would be the best location for weekend road trips and short holidays for spring break etc. Also I would like a place that has nice weather and safe etc. I will be under 21 and although I'm not wanting to drink I would definitely like a place that has good parties/nightlife for people under 21 as the legal age here is 18 and have been used to that kinda thing for a while!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 02:20 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
I would not even consider Ga Tech since you are majoring in history. Given their name you'd have to expect that their primary emphasis is in engineering, math and science. I graduated from there many years ago (grad school), I'm not even sure that they even offered one history course back then. They might have something in that field today but you'd be far better off to look at the other universities on your list.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:39 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I agree with Weichert in dropping off Georgia Tech. I would also drop off University of Oklahoma for weather and location. Flying in and out of there would be expensive, it's not close to places you will want to visit and the winters are going to be long and cold.

I don't really know much about the College experience at the Texas or California Colleges.

My daughter lives in Washington DC and she is always busy doing things around the city - it's a very young, cosmopolitan city. Great public transportation, lots of college kids, very vibrant and diverse. As to American, it's not going to be the typical College-frat-football experience.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:14 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
I would pick American for the experience of living in/around Washington DC with the proximity to major international airports and frequent specials on flights to major cities in the US. The metro system is fantastic, so you would never miss having a car. The diversity and culture, the vibe of the city....plus the fact that it's our nation's capital. There are so many free things to do and with the presence of other schools within a 30 mile radius, it's a hot bed of all age groups. The biggest drawback will be finding reasonably priced, safe housing~but American or your university should have resources for helping you with this detail.

My second preference would be Austin~again a dynamic city with the university being so very close to the downtown scene. Near perfect year round weather, lots of outdoor activities, a great music scene, fun shopping and again, accessible by major air carriers for travel. If you won't be getting a car, invest in a good bike! I don't have any experience or opinions of the public transportation system, perhaps someone else could chime in on that piece.

I loved the weather in San Diego~but California overall is just too frustrating with cars, cars, cars and the high cost of living in all of the areas (Berkeley, Los Angeles, & Santa Barbara) If you could be guaranteed San Diego, I'd recommend it, but if picking San Diego means you might end up in the any of the other 3, I don't think I'd enjoy fighting the traffic, the crowds, the expenses to live in a safe and decent area just to be in California. Great places for vacations/spring breaks etc. Can't beat the weather, but my experience has been that a week is enough and I want out!

Good Luck with your decision!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:17 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
I'd pick UT-Austin, UCB, UCLA. You pick the order, the 3 are in fairly different climates (none too extreme though).

Eastern Texas - worst summer weather, worst winter weather (there is actually a winter there )
San Francisco Bay - most New Zealand-like climate. Can be cold and damp, or hot and sunny - but never hot and humid lol.
Southern California - Always 80 F and sunny...

But... what do you mean by planning? Urban planning? I still might not change those top 3 (they are in the top 30 or so best universities in the US, and 3 of the ~15 best Architecture schools too[UT and UCB are top 10]), but Texas A&M has a decent architecture program, I've worked with a couple grads.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:23 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,635 times
UCLA, UCSB, or Texas

Old 08-31-2014, 11:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I agree with Weichert in dropping off Georgia Tech. I would also drop off University of Oklahoma for weather and location. Flying in and out of there would be expensive, it's not close to places you will want to visit and the winters are going to be long and cold.

I don't really know much about the College experience at the Texas or California Colleges.

My daughter lives in Washington DC and she is always busy doing things around the city - it's a very young, cosmopolitan city. Great public transportation, lots of college kids, very vibrant and diverse. As to American, it's not going to be the typical College-frat-football experience.
I agree with dropping OK b/c of weather and location, but really, flying from New Zealand, it's going to be expensive to fly anywhere in the US, probably not significantly more to OKC than anywhere else.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:45 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Berkeley, for a good history dept., great weather (compared to Washington DC, which is a swamp in spring and summer, and snowy in winter), beautiful road trip potential, beaches, redwood forests, national parks, mountains for hiking and skiing. Berkeley is a great town, and the school has a great campus atmosphere, just like in the movies (many campus scenes in movies are filmed at Berkeley).

After Berkeley, Santa Barbara. Again--great atmosphere, quality school, good weather (except for the current severe drought), beach, you have the central coast to explore on road trips, and LA if you want (you Kiwis may not be used to the massive traffic in LA, though).

3rd place? UC San Diego, or American University (a very good school).

You may go into culture shock in LA. The city's too big and overwhelming, IMO. Berkeley's a small town, by comparison. It's more intimate, while at the same time being right in the middle of a large urban region that offers everything in terms of entertainment, museums, nature, things to do for young people. Start saving for extra spending money, so you can enjoy your stay to the fullest. Gas/travel money, entertainment money, restaurants, etc.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Berkeley, for a good history dept., great weather (compared to Washington DC, which is a swamp in spring and summer, and snowy in winter), beautiful road trip potential, beaches, redwood forests, national parks, mountains for hiking and skiing. Berkeley is a great town, and the school has a great campus atmosphere, just like in the movies (many campus scenes in movies are filmed at Berkeley).

After Berkeley, Santa Barbara. Again--great atmosphere, quality school, good weather (except for the current severe drought), beach, you have the central coast to explore on road trips, and LA if you want (you Kiwis may not be used to the massive traffic in LA, though).

3rd place? UC San Diego, or American University (a very good school).

You may go into culture shock in LA. The city's too big and overwhelming, IMO. Berkeley's a small town, by comparison. It's more intimate, while at the same time being right in the middle of a large urban region that offers everything in terms of entertainment, museums, nature, things to do for young people. Start saving for extra spending money, so you can enjoy your stay to the fullest. Gas/travel money, entertainment money, restaurants, etc.
DC has an average of 15" of snow per winter.
wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.#Climate

That is far less than most northerly cities. The thing is, it often comes in big dumps, and people are so freaked out by it they have no idea how to drive in it. (There is often more a little farther inland, e.g. Frederick, MD). I recall reading about a time when it snowed in DC and the schools were closed and the Obama girls said that wouldn't happen in Chicago!

Old 08-31-2014, 02:22 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islamac101 View Post
Hey!

I am a New Zealand undergraduate student majoring in history and planning on going on an exchange to USA next year. My university has partner universities including:

American University (Washington, DC)
Georgia Institute of Technology (Atlanta, GA)
University of Texas at Austin
Texas A&M (College Station, TX)
University of Oklahoma (Norman, OK)
University of California (Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Berkeley & San Diego) (If I pick University of California I have to pick 3 campuses in order of what one I would like to go to more, so if you think this university is in the top three also suggest top 3 in order of cities mentioned

So basically I have to pick three Universities in order of preference! I'm working really hard at my university at the moment so that I do not have to work super hard when I'm over there for the year! I'm not too concerned with university rankings etc. What I'm more interested in is out of the universities listed what three, in order, would give me the best college experience (sorta like in the movies/tv shows etc) but also what three would be the best location for weekend road trips and short holidays for spring break etc. Also I would like a place that has nice weather and safe etc. I will be under 21 and although I'm not wanting to drink I would definitely like a place that has good parties/nightlife for people under 21 as the legal age here is 18 and have been used to that kinda thing for a while!

Thanks!
American is a bit boring. Good for history, since it's nearby to so many historic sites and museums and libraries, but the weather stinks and DC is not that much fun for a city.

G-tech is known as a party school, but it's in Georgia, which means it's southern (a negative thing) and the weather is even hotter and more humid than in DC.

Both Texas universities are known for social life, but I think Austin is a better place to live. It has a more modern and hip vibe than the rest of Texas. Although I admit I am not very familiar at all with A&M. Again, it's kind of hot there.

You really can't go wrong with anything in California. Berkeley is my personal favorite - the weather is fantastic, it's absolutely beautiful, and does provide a decent social scene, although these days it skews toward heavily Asian in its student population. Santa Barbara and San Diego are also very beautiful - many people wish they could live there. I have never been to LA.

Just forget Oklahoma.

My first pick would be one of the California schools - actually, I'd probably pick all three from CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities