Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,247 times

Advertisements

I majored in biology graduated with a 3.0 gpa. Originally wanted to go into health care possibly dentistry, nothing else seems to interest me, but now it seems like alot more debt and stress that I will go through. I often question if I should take a second bachelors degree in a more marketable major like computer science, engineering, or accounting. Alot of my friends who majored in those got nice salary out of undergrad and are independent now. You can't really do much with an undergrad in biology, you can work in labs, but I don't want to work in labs, more specifically dentistry.

Don't want to work in a ****ty low pay job all my life. Basically what I want is just a good job that pays decently, around 60k plus. I am at a cross road to decide in whether I should boost up my science gpa and apply to professional school with the hopes of getting in or go back to school to get a second degree specifically the ones I have listed so I can get a good job out of school. What do you guys thinks? As for choose what my heart desires, I really don't know. I am leaning towards dentistry, but I hear about the debt and stuff, which makes me second guess. I worked for a year in ****ty jobs and just hated my life, I just want a good job that pays well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 10:04 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,470,299 times
If you don't know what you want to do, the last thing you should do is go back to school -- grad school or otherwise. You won't know what you really want to do until you get some real world experience under your belt. As far as low paying, entry level jobs -- yeah, that's what happens when you first graduate. Work a few of those, get some experience under your belt and then figure out where you want to go next.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,217,690 times
I majored in biology, and for various reasons, didn't plan well. I enjoyed the subject, but job prospects were dim when I finished. I started again with engineering at a smaller school, and did not like it. While in engineering, I asked the adviser if I could take some CS classes and apply them as degree credits as I always had an interest in CS that I never pursued. Long story short I loved CS so I dropped engineering and finished in CS. So far it has been very marketable. But you have to enjoy it because it is very, very time consuming.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:33 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,736,378 times
Don't do a second bachelors. At this point, your GPA is high enough to do a graduate degree. That would be a far better choice if you want to switch fields. (The exception might be engineering, where sometimes getting a grad degree is not sufficient to take the licensing exam?)

But instead of school, for the most part, you are at a point where work experience, even when marginally related, will always be more valuable than degree work. You are better off using your 4-year degree, regardless of major, to land work related to the field you want to work in and then using your work experience to move op. Or to put it more simply, with 2 years of related work experience you will beat out nearly all people with a directly relevant degree and no work experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities