Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,277 times

Advertisements

So my GPA has dropped down to a 1.94. It has never been an issue before, but I am now onto my 4th year in school at Cal Poly Pomona. My Advisor just threatened to drop my from the university--his exact words were "I will not allow you to graduate, and all your hard work would have been for nothing"-- So the class that has screwed me was college Algebra, now I have taken all of the necessary math courses for my degree. Statistic- easy, business Calc-easy, but per my advisors request I took college algebra, and Failed...so i retook it and Failed, so this past summer i took it again and got a D. The thing is at this point I have no idea what to do, I don't want to speak with my Advisor, after the very real warning and I am out of retakes for the class. If I pass it my total GPA jumps all the way to a 2.9 (i have gotten a few C's). But puts me in the green zone....any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 03:38 PM

154 posts, read 307,815 times
I don't really see any way for you to get around this without talking to your advisor, frankly. You say you are out of retakes, yet then say "if I pass it, my ... GPA jumps all the way to a 2.9." Step #1 is going to be finding out whether you can retake it. You won't be able to get financial aid for taking it again - that's for darn sure - but maybe there's some kind of a waiver or appeal process that will allow you one final attempt to retake the class.

If you did well in Calc and Stats, why did you have so much trouble in College Algebra, and when you were struggling, why didn't you reach out to the professor, a tutor, etc? IF you get a fourth chance to prove yourself in College Algebra, and save your college career, you are going to have to be incredibly proactive in your study habits. You're going to need to see the prof during office hours, get a tutor, join a study group, etc.

College Algebra can be frustrating and, sure, it's difficult for some people. But if you can pass 4 years of college, you can pass a basic algebra class - period, end of story. It's a matter of applying yourself.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:03 PM

43 posts, read 95,268 times
I don't see how one class, with your earned credits (presumably over 100), and your Grade Points (presumably over 1000), could raise your GPA from 1.94 to 2.9. Unless there is some detail I'm missing, this mathematically does not make sense. But I would take patsfanboston's advice. You'll need to become more proactive to ensure you pass, if you can retake the class again.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:48 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
It isn't possible for 1 class grade to drop your GPA from 2.9 to 1.9 in your 4th year of college, even if you get a 0 in the class....

As for "all your hard work being for nothing" if you have a sub 2.0 GPA you really weren't working that hard...

Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Yeah, one class can't drop your GPA that much. In any case, just retake the class.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:42 PM

371 posts, read 555,715 times
The D in algebra could have been easily offset by a B in another class to keep your GPA at 2.0 or above, so another way of looking at your problem is that it is the lack of Bs that are keeping you from graduating.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:10 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
"College GPA 1.94 because of 1 class, HELP"
"If I pass it my total GPA jumps all the way to a 2.9 "

Impossible for all the credits a senior has under his belt....

The OP IS mathematically challenged.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
You may not be suited for meeting the requirements of a college degree, it happens, obtaining a college degree is not a guarantee nor should it be.

Also, you have way more issue than this one class, as other posters mentioned, this one class would not have dropped your GPA like that, and your GPA being that low means you really dropped the ball on several classes.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:57 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
You can't graduate with a 1.94 GPA or without passing the required course of algebra regardless of what your course advisor says.

You're out of retries in your current situation.

Ignoring the math- and logic-challenged remainder of the rest of your post, your best chance is to pull up your GPA above 2.0 with other courses and then petition for a waiver of the retry limit. See the course repeat policy below.

EO 1037 - Course Repeat

The next time you take the course, you need to withdraw from the course immediately if you're doing poorly. It won't count against you. You need to hire a tutor.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:03 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,012 times
Nah, 1 class didn't do that to you

You've gotta own up to your repetitive mistakes before you can move forward. Accept the bed you made and lie in it. I'm not saying to give up, but don't think you'll make miracles out of something you've continued to do over the course of your academic career
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities