Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 PM

102 posts, read 190,654 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm thinking of going back to school for either a HR degree or an accelerated nursing program. I graduated last may with a marketing degree, but I've notice that it is not a very practical degree. I kinda ended up with this degree after not cutting it with a Accounting/Finance major. Which of these two degrees is a good bet to find a job after graduating. I live in NYC if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 12:40 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,572 times
An HR degree? That would be an undergrad in business with a focus in HR, correct? That wouldn't be much different from your marketing degree. I'm a bit curious how you narrowed it down between nursing and HR?

In terms of "marketable," the degree isn't what is marketable, YOU are. The degree is just one of many elements that make up a successful candidate. If you're approaching it from the angle of "I have a degree in marketing, therefore someone should give me a job in marketing" I can understand why you are stuggling. What are your career goals? Do you have any experience? Are you currently working?

Old 09-09-2014, 12:55 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Those are two entirely different fields. What are your interests? Most people aren't cut out for nursing. It shouldn't be something you choose just because of job opportunities. If you have a business degree with a marketing concentration, then just drop the marketing concentration and apply to HR jobs. Most HR openings will ask for a degree in business administration or human resources management. If you already have the business administration degree, then you don't need to go back to school. If you feel deficient in anything, then just read some books on various HR topics.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:59 PM

102 posts, read 190,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
An HR degree? That would be an undergrad in business with a focus in HR, correct? That wouldn't be much different from your marketing degree. I'm a bit curious how you narrowed it down between nursing and HR?

In terms of "marketable," the degree isn't what is marketable, YOU are. The degree is just one of many elements that make up a successful candidate. If you're approaching it from the angle of "I have a degree in marketing, therefore someone should give me a job in marketing" I can understand why you are stuggling. What are your career goals? Do you have any experience? Are you currently working?
Well i started nursing pre-reqs at a community college. But just before i transferred to a 4 year school i change my mind about nursing and decided to study accounting (people told me accountants make a lot $$). But Accounting is a type of degree that has to come naturally for a person to excel at it. Unfortunately for me accounting was not something i was good at. My career goal is to find a job where i can work my way up or have a salary that's comfortable to live on.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:34 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farruko View Post
Well i started nursing pre-reqs at a community college. But just before i transferred to a 4 year school i change my mind about nursing and decided to study accounting (people told me accountants make a lot $$). But Accounting is a type of degree that has to come naturally for a person to excel at it. Unfortunately for me accounting was not something i was good at. My career goal is to find a job where i can work my way up or have a salary that's comfortable to live on.
I think I see the problem. A big salary is an outcome, not a goal. You need to start thinking in terms of what you want to do and then figure out how to get there. Picking the Major Du Jour because it's the hot field of the moment or you think it will automatically lead to a fat paycheck is not a good strategy (it sounds like this already failed once when you pursued the accounting degree).

You said accounting didn't work out because it didn't "come naturally." Is nursing something you're passionate about? It's a tough gig with long hours and a lot of sacrifice. Is HR something that really interests you? My wife works in HR, and you'll spend the first few years of your career doing grunt work dealing with benefits or recruiting. Does that appeal to you?

Old 09-09-2014, 01:41 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,178,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I think I see the problem. A big salary is an outcome, not a goal. You need to start thinking in terms of what you want to do and then figure out how to get there. Picking the Major Du Jour because it's the hot field of the moment or you think it will automatically lead to a fat paycheck is not a good strategy (it sounds like this already failed once when you pursued the accounting degree).

You said accounting didn't work out because it didn't "come naturally." Is nursing something you're passionate about? It's a tough gig with long hours and a lot of sacrifice. Is HR something that really interests you? My wife works in HR, and you'll spend the first few years of your career doing grunt work dealing with benefits or recruiting. Does that appeal to you?
Good points. In order to be good (truly good) at nursing, some of it has to be innate. You have to have patience, compassion and empathy. I thought I wanted to be a health care practitioner from an early age, even went to a High School that specialized in the field. When I was 18 and working as a Nursing Assistant, I discovered I was lacking those traits I mentioned above, so instead, I went to college and got a Master's degree in Health Administration.

Be sure about the nursing thing. So easy to get burnt out, and the job still has a lot of physical and emotional demands.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farruko View Post
You can do that in nursing. I've been a nurse for >40 years. You can do that in HR. My brother had a career in HR. He was a history major, but that was a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Good points. In order to be good (truly good) at nursing, some of it has to be innate. You have to have patience, compassion and empathy. I thought I wanted to be a health care practitioner from an early age, even went to a High School that specialized in the field. When I was 18 and working as a Nursing Assistant, I discovered I was lacking those traits I mentioned above, so instead, I went to college and got a Master's degree in Health Administration.

Be sure about the nursing thing. So easy to get burnt out, and the job still has a lot of physical and emotional demands.
I hear what you're saying, but there's a fundamental difference between being a CNA and an RN. I'm still working on the patience thing, though.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:24 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,178,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You can do that in nursing. I've been a nurse for >40 years. You can do that in HR. My brother had a career in HR. He was a history major, but that was a long time ago.

I hear what you're saying, but there's a fundamental difference between being a CNA and an RN. I'm still working on the patience thing, though.
If you figure the patience thing out, let me know.........

Old 09-09-2014, 09:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
If you figure the patience thing out, let me know.........
LOL! Try working in an office, and having to call insurance companies, to be put on "eternal hold".

Old 09-10-2014, 05:31 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times
Check out Nursing News, Articles, Degrees, Jobs, Answers for Nurses and Students | allnurses for more information about the nursing profession. You will find that a lot of nurses are not exactly happy with their jobs. Working conditions are a big issue. There really isn't a "shortage" either like many people think there is.

I have a hard time believing that you can't find something with your marketing degree. Maybe try a different location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities