Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:10 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times

Advertisements

jotucker while it may be true that in the past you couldn't get into an MBA without experience, due to the recent recession plenty of people have been admitted to good MBA programs without experience. We have several new hires who did this. Bear in mind that just because a colleges Admittance page says they require experience, that doesn't mean you cant get in without it. They still look holistically at an application. If you look around on the boards and other forums youll see plenty of posts from people who got into good MBA schools without experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:18 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
An MBA without experience does you NO good. Period. And for the vast majority of MBA programs, ranked and unranked, you can't get into them without experience.
Completely agree with this. There are so many students in my program with no experience and no direction whatsoever.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:07 PM

158 posts, read 332,820 times
In my opinion, an MBA with no experience is just a tougher road, but if you know for sure that you want to get an MBA(or need one) in the future, then it may be better for some to do it while they are young.

From what I understand, things can get very complicated once children, a wife, and a mortgage are all involved.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:16 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
jotucker while it may be true that in the past you couldn't get into an MBA without experience, due to the recent recession plenty of people have been admitted to good MBA programs without experience. We have several new hires who did this. Bear in mind that just because a colleges Admittance page says they require experience, that doesn't mean you cant get in without it. They still look holistically at an application. If you look around on the boards and other forums youll see plenty of posts from people who got into good MBA schools without experience.
How do you define 'good'? I know a few people who were accepted into a top 5 business school without any work experience, but they all got in through a dual degree program (JD/MBA, MD/MBA, etc).

Old 09-15-2014, 07:08 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
The good thing is that this program is flexible with online and Saturday courses. So I can work and go to school at the same time. I was to have two years of solid work experience before I apply and three by the time I'm done going part time. That's an MBA plus five years work experience.

Now the bigger question is if an MBA is worth it in the tech, engineering/arch/construction field? What concentration works best in that field? Finance? Accounting? Both? General Management?

Old 09-15-2014, 08:25 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,939 times
Quote:
thatguydownsouth

I don't see this often, not unless you are an Alumni of the school already and just completed the undergraduate. If you got your bachelor's degree from the same Business Department, they probably would have no issue with you graduating out of the undergraduate program and going straight into the MBA program. I was discussing it from an external point of view with a person coming back to school to obtain an MBA after a couple of years out.

But there's this mentality with a lot of young college students that the BRAND NAME of their college holds more weight than their experience and network, this is just off base and leading to these folks taking out higher than needed student loan debts. The "brand name" on your degree does not get you a job, your Experience and Network does, the degree is only used as a "check off the box" situation or for an extended Networking component.

For example, the Top Ranked MBA is used exclusively as a Networking component into I-Banking/Wallstreet, that's why you hear people talk about the Alumni Network of the Top Ranked MBA and the people you go to class with, because that's your ticket into I-Banking/Wallstreet for recruitment into an Analyst position or Associate position.

Then, for the 99% of all other business related positions out there that don't involve going to I-Banking/Wallstreet, it's a "check off the box" in terms of the position you want to get into needing a master's degree in a business related area in which you can get your MBA with whatever specialization you need, but to save money just go to a unranked MBA from a non profit regionally accredited college.

Quote:
radiolibre99

Now the bigger question is if an MBA is worth it in the tech, engineering/arch/construction field? What concentration works best in that field? Finance? Accounting? Both? General Management?
Well, what are you looking to do in those fields? You mentioned Technology, Engineering, Construction and Architecture and there's various specializations within each that don't correlate to the other. But in regards to an MBA, no I would target an Engineering degree but it depends on what you are looking to do in those fields.

Only complete an MBA if you want I-Banking, Wallstreet, Finance, Business Consulting, or general Business Management positions.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:33 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
It's all about opportunity cost (and if you don't know what this is, you don't need an MBA to learn it although they'll most likely hammer it into your head on Day 1.)

An MBA from a non-Elite school will most definitely benefit your career. However, you might have to cut your work hours to earn it or even quit temporarily.. or have the strenuous workload of working and going to school at the same time. In the latter case, you could spend your time reading some business books, attending conferences, and/or networking with others for a fraction of the money and possibly time to attain the same results.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:17 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I keep hearing that an MBA is like a law degree; if you don't earn it from the top schools in the country, then you're wasting your time in a sense. So only the top firms recruit at these schools and you're best equipped with an MBA from a top school out in the marketplace?

Also what if you have a technical undergraduate and post-grad education but just want to supplement it with business education like an MBA?

How do employers look at that and how do they recruit at engineering firms? Would it be better to just continue on to a masters in the technical field instead?
No education is without value. However, schooling can be totally worthless.

If you get an MBA to get YOU some background on business, then I would say that much of that schoolign is worthless. However, if your MBA enables you to design and run numerical simulations, price assets in a myriad of scenarios, optimize tax solutions across supply chains, etc. then I would argue that your education has value in the marketplace.

The degree itself has no value. It is just an expensive shell. What matters are its contents and its value to the marketplace.

S.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:15 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Well, what are you looking to do in those fields? You mentioned Technology, Engineering, Construction and Architecture and there's various specializations within each that don't correlate to the other. But in regards to an MBA, no I would target an Engineering degree but it depends on what you are looking to do in those fields.
The field is in engineering tech design. The places I would work in would be in engineering/arch firms. Its design related stuff for buildings. The only reason why I thought to obtain an MBA at all was to later go into a management role at any of the mentioned firms. But now that you mention it, would an engineering masters or engineering or construction management be better suited?

Old 09-15-2014, 10:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
that is not true all my friends working at starbucks have one.
consider a traditional blue collar trade or nursing
then get a ticket to dubai or saudi arabia.
live now dont wait for the future.
dont be a debt slave be a wage earner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities