Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:42 PM

11 posts, read 10,176 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a 41 year old single mother of a 3 year old. I previously traveled 2-3 weeks at a time for my job. I can no longer do that with my child so I am now unemployed, along with a relation break up... living with my mother. I have just started school on line 5 weeks ago, and am trying to find extra grants, loans, or scholarships to pay for school and the out of pocket expenses they don't pay. Every website I go to you fill out all the info for spam emails for a particular college they tell you about at the end. I can not find anything for someone already enrolled. I need legitimate sites for extra money.. I have looked for single mother grants but find the same things on the sites, I was wondering if anyone could help guide me besides fasfa, I of course have already done this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 05:44 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Go to your financial aid office.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 PM

I am doing online and obviously have talked to my financial aid office, besides fafsa they say search google.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmyann View Post
I am doing online and obviously have talked to my financial aid office, besides fafsa they say search google.
Are you going to a real school? My school has a financial aid office that puts together the award package for you. Pell grants should be awarded automatically, but the school usually adds in their own aid package. Aside from that you might need to apply for a scholarship, but those would also be available through the aid office or the academic dept.

Try these:
Educationgrant.com
Scholarship.com

You also might want to ask a mod to move your thread to the education forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/education/

Old 09-16-2014, 06:16 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Then you should check into that school's accreditation. Any school telling you to go to google for financial aid would be highly suspicious to me. Any reputable school should have a financial aid officer who puts financial aid together for you.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Then you should check into that school's accreditation. Any school telling you to go to google for financial aid would be highly suspicious to me. Any reputable school should have a financial aid officer who puts financial aid together for you.

I am looking for places to go in addition to what any school offers. I have been told there is additional aid for single mothers. I can not find it.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
thank you for this info, and I just joined the forum... How would I go about contacting my mod?
They already moved it. You can also get money for just being a woman, so you should search for those too.

Grants for Single Mothers to go to College: Free Grants for Single Moms
10+ Legitimate Places You Can Apply for Single Moms Scholarships - Single Moms Income
Grants for Single Mothers | EducationGrant.com

Old 09-16-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

I have never used a forum like this before, just ones set up for a particular cause or something. I have not looked at the links yet but I have saved them... The first ones seem different than what I have been finding, the second set looks similar to the ones that make you fill out all the info and then they end up being Phoenix college and call you 20 times a day, but hopefully they won't be. I appreciate your help so much, and I don't know what it is all about but bumped your reputation for being polite, helpful, and not talking to me like an idiot with no "common sense" of course I have done all the obvious things, I am just not finding what I am looking for, and hoping someone will come along that has been in my situation and knows something legitimate I can not find. I just know their has to be additional aid out there besides fasfa because some people live off of loans. That is what I am looking for, I want to work part time but hoping to find loans or grans/scholarships even better that would suppliment some income while I get my degree. Thanks again!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Are you going to a real school? My school has a financial aid office that puts together the award package for you. Pell grants should be awarded automatically, but the school usually adds in their own aid package. Aside from that you might need to apply for a scholarship, but those would also be available through the aid office or the academic dept.

Try these:
Educationgrant.com
Scholarship.com

You also might want to ask a mod to move your thread to the education forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/education/
forgot to mention, I did get an award package, but everything is done online. I am going to Ashford, which is a Forbes school of business, I am in the south and their campuses are in San Diego and somewhere in Iowa so physically going their is not an option. I am obviously applying for the maximum amount through the school, it is enough to cover school, I just want extra to suppliment some income, which will save me money in the long run if I can work part time vs full time will allow me to finish sooner and save money on preschool, as well as give me more time to concentrate on school. In the field of my major I will be making plenty of money to pay off the loans. I am living off of savings and have been for 2 months, it will run out soon, this is why I have started searching for more options so I can take the time to find the right job hopefully find an entry level position in my field vs a job that will not help me move up the ladder in my field just to have a job.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Have you tried the Social Security Admin? They'll go after the father of your child for child support, and I've heard they can set you up for foodstamps and other aid to single moms who are in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities