Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:27 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,146,515 times

Advertisements

My guess is, if this is truly a phenomenon, the result of Fulbright scholarships.

Then there is also the whole New England WASP/true prep thing, seeing as how the OP lives in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Who are these people? What are you referring to, exactly? Do you mean Rhodes scholarships? Or scholarships to Oxford? Most upper class families send their kids to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Berkeley, and similar schools: Cornell, Smith, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
My own experience suggests that the premise is wrong -- not many upper class Americans send their kids to British schools. I know a lot of upper-class Americans; none were educated in Britain except, occasionally, for one or two semesters abroad. I know a substantial number of people who graduated from British universities; none are upper-class Americans.
To both: the OP lives in Boston. New England is vastly different than the rest of the country. Top students from Alabama, Maryland, or California are going to look at the Ivies, but to someone who lives the true prep lifestyle, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, et al are expected. The more prestigious schools for these kids are in England.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:01 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,374,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
To both: the OP lives in Boston. New England is vastly different than the rest of the country. Top students from Alabama, Maryland, or California are going to look at the Ivies, but to someone who lives the true prep lifestyle, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, et al are expected. The more prestigious schools for these kids are in England.
The OP is Chinese.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:30 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You didn't answer my question.
I'm only talking about upperclass who could have chosen Harvard and Yale.
Why wouldn't they? I mean, when you start talking about Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Yale, and Stanford, you really are talking about elite universities. If I had the means to send my very bright son to Oxford to experience life in England while studying, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:07 PM

27,220 posts, read 28,295,642 times
Quote:
So many of them, including top politicians. What are the reasons?
Oxford and Cambridge are 2 of the top universities in the world. If you can get in, you would go, right?

Old 10-26-2014, 01:08 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,703,933 times
Quote:
Again, I'm only talking about upperclass American families, not some English kid who wants to become a biologist.

Yes, America has the best schools. So why do they study abroad?
the experience of living abroad and the idea that going to a British college will make them more sophisticated and well-mannered in the end.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:34 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,980,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Oxford and Cambridge are 2 of the top universities in the world. If you can get in, you would go, right?
That's oversimplifying it. It really depends on what you want to study and where else you get in. Why would you choose Oxford over Harvard unless there is something specific about Oxford that appeals to you?

Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
I guess my response to the OP's question is-they do? I don't see any evidence of that. Maybe it depends on where you live.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:36 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,501,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I guess my response to the OP's question is-they do? I don't see any evidence of that. Maybe it depends on where you live.
It doesn't even hold true in the Northeast. The top tier private day schools in NYC (Collegiate, Brearley, Trinity, etc.) don't send any significant numbers to British universities. Neither do the top New England boarding schools, like Philips Exeter, Choate, Deerfield, etc. There are FAR more graduates attending Ivy and NESCAC schools.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
The OP is Chinese.
Yes, I know. I am familiar with the OP, who claims to reside in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities