Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:02 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,139,575 times

Advertisements

I just don't see the level of performance in math synonymous with what I experienced at the undergraduate level. I'm making a lot more errors on my assignments (which are worth more than exams here). My grades look like its all in the low B range (which honestly SUCKS at the grad level). I understand the material, after I made some mistake on my assignment (should be before, right). I do have deep interest in the material, and review it regularly. But a lot of the material is explained in such an abstract manner that I have no way of understanding or visualizing what the professor is trying to say. He is also not appreciative of answering questions worded in a non mathematical way. I feel like a doll in class, TBH. I just don't know how to deal with this . I'm a mechanical engineering grad student, but my department requires me to take this graduate math class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,154,163 times
In a graduate level math course (as with most graduate level courses in general) the idea is not that you get the answer right but that you have the ability to formulate a logical approach to solving the problem--even if your answer is technically wrong. Most real-life mathematicians do not bust out some old tried-and-true formula only to plug and chug. They think about the problem for days, weeks, or sometimes months-contemplating how to approach the problem not how to "solve" the problem. This makes more sense if you keep in mind that the answer itself is usually unknown. There is a lot of trial and error, too.

To be honest, I would be concerned about the graduate student taking a graduate level math course who is flying through it with ease. The fact that you are struggling is a good thing.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:15 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,090,457 times
georgia tech is hard.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:48 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,267,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
In a graduate level math course (as with most graduate level courses in general) the idea is not that you get the answer right but that you have the ability to formulate a logical approach to solving the problem--even if your answer is technically wrong.
When you go to work as an engineer, Adi, you'd better get this idea out of your head PDQ. If you don't get the correct answers, you're worse than useless.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
georgia tech is hard.
Well, I know its hard. I'm not surprised about the difficulty, but level of abstractness. Thing is, many concepts have a bunch of statements and equations which follow a logical order, and all of a sudden he introduces a "then there exists a variable for all time".

However, the methodology to solve for that variable remains unclear, and he does not get into details of explaining that. I typically try & search for documentation outlining the procedure. Sometimes, I'm able to find a way to do it. But at other times I go around in circles and can't decipher how to find the variable of interest .

Old 10-23-2014, 06:59 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,790,468 times
The level of abstractness in the more advanced math classes can be very high indeed.

I'd bet there are other students in the class who feel the same as you. Maybe form a study group with a few of them?

BTW, don't expect the particular textbook or lecture to fill in the gaps. Thats left for you to do, one way or the other.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:05 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,774,863 times
When you are in graduate school sometimes they cover more material each week than can be fully explained during class, and the expectation is you will learn it yourself before the next class. You need to rely on your fellow students or seek help outside the classroom, whatever you have to do teach it to yourself. Look at it as he's going to give you an overview of the concepts you need to master that week. He's not going to give you the step by step version because there is no time for that. And he's going to be way more focused on explaining the theory or concept behind things, than giving you formulas to memorize.

Often once you understand the internal logic in a discipline the rest flows more naturally anyway.

You were admitted because someone assessed you had the capacity to go this deep at this pace. It may take you a minute to get the hang of it but you will.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:21 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,686,032 times
In graduate school, you don't need to fully understand everything, unless they are fundamental.
Sometimes, you can also start doing homework/project before you understand everything, and gradually you may see it.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:26 PM

I'm slowly starting to get a hang of it, but have not nailed down the concepts entirely. I'm doing non linear differential equations right now, and the qualitative analysis involved is insane.

OTOH, linear DE's are easy to characterize and very easy for me to understand. But most real life systems belong to the non linear case.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:56 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,393,226 times
Youre in grad school at GA Tech and worried cause its hard?! Id hope so!! You aren't at some measly un accredited degree mill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities