Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:19 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
I haven't heard it as being a recommended path to law school, but have heard of people assuming it to be a good path for getting a job in law enforcement. Of course, most LEO's with CJ degrees will immediately tell you that it prepared them not one iota for their current career.

I always tell young people to study what you enjoy. You'll invariably do better, get better grades, etc. No, a 4.0 in English Literature probably won't help you get into med school, but if you enjoy and are good at English Lit, med school probably isn't on your horizon, anyway.
Yeah. The same thing applies to law enforcement. Study what you enjoy. Not only do 99% of law enforcement agencies not care about your major, but empirical studies have found that criminal justice majors do not perform any better than other majors in the law enforcement academy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
People with intent into getting into the top law schools will take the majors that have the best ability to get a high GPA, this is because law schools focus on GPA and the LSAT score.

The LSAT is not a pass or fail test, it is a logic reasoning test and your score reflects your ability in this. Getting a LSAT score that ranks around the Harvard or Yale class average is rare relative to how many people take it.

It is not a test you can study for like a normal test, you can study and improve a little by learning the mechanics of some things, but logic is a trait which someone has or does not have, you cannot study for the LSAT and expect your score to ever improve dramatically. I think I read somewhere the most someone can expect from studying is an average 5 point increase.
I should have been more specific. I was talking about major vs LSAT scores.

economics majors according to the data are scoring pretty high on the LSAT (it ranked higher than computer science and chemistry).

what? econ is for dummies. computer science is not for dummies. I don't understand.

Last edited by stellastar2345; 10-29-2014 at 08:27 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 08:21 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I should have been more specific. I was talking about major vs LSAT scores.

economics majors according to the data are scoring pretty high on the LSAT (it ranked higher than computer science and chemistry).

what? econ is for dummies. computer science is not for dummies. I don't understand.
Here is the problem, you didn't go to a elite college. Many old-school, elite private colleges did not have engineering or business programs and still don't (those were more for research oriented schools of which many of public and subsidized by the government and research grants). Those schools have a focus on humanities and traditional sciences and if they have a computer science program it is relatively new and not prestigious. So if a student is interested in business at all, they tend to major in econ. There is no finance major at schools like Harvard or Northwestern until you hit their grad school. So that means that econ is full of high quality students that aren't particularly interested in econ, but business in general.

Also, econ can be either quant heavy, where you do a lot of statistical analysis and calculations using calculus, or humanities heavy. It can be quite difficult or it can be a joke depending on your school. The economists that I meet at work almost all have PhD's and are way more brilliant than the typical Harvard Law grad, which are a dime a dozen at most large law firms. Or the low end colleges that spit out Computer Science grads with training that isn't much more than what trade school used to put out and they end up working for $15 per hour at a helpdesk. Every program is different and quite a bit of very, very smart people major in econ.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:55 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Here is the problem, you didn't go to a elite college. Many old-school, elite private colleges did not have engineering or business programs and still don't (those were more for research oriented schools of which many of public and subsidized by the government and research grants). Those schools have a focus on humanities and traditional sciences and if they have a computer science program it is relatively new and not prestigious. So if a student is interested in business at all, they tend to major in econ. There is no finance major at schools like Harvard or Northwestern until you hit their grad school. So that means that econ is full of high quality students that aren't particularly interested in econ, but business in general.

Also, econ can be either quant heavy, where you do a lot of statistical analysis and calculations using calculus, or humanities heavy. It can be quite difficult or it can be a joke depending on your school. The economists that I meet at work almost all have PhD's and are way more brilliant than the typical Harvard Law grad, which are a dime a dozen at most large law firms. Or the low end colleges that spit out Computer Science grads with training that isn't much more than what trade school used to put out and they end up working for $15 per hour at a helpdesk. Every program is different and quite a bit of very, very smart people major in econ.
This has been my experience as well. Most of the econ majors that I have crossed paths with have been pretty cerebral. I don't think it should be that surprising since economics tends to be more of an academic field than most "business" fields.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
This has been my experience as well. Most of the econ majors that I have crossed paths with have been pretty cerebral. I don't think it should be that surprising since economics tends to be more of an academic field than most "business" fields.
That's because economics is a social science; but, people have it in their minds that the social sciences can't be quantitative.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:33 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post

I go to a school that is 60 on the us news ranking. low, but not that low. Let's say the top 20 schools don't have well defined engineering and business schools and top 25 LAC.

How many elite school college graduates are there taking the LSAT that it sways the data so much?

I've taken 2 econometric classes which is the the pinnacle of the "statistical analysis" when it come to economics (one at the grad school level - the grad program is 55? or 50? in america according to us news rankings. low but not pathetically low.). pathetically easy and intuitive.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:37 PM

88 posts, read 80,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post
Well my understanding for law school is that any writing intensive major is good choice for law school. I have read that CJ majors have lowest overall LSAT scores. Criminal is only half of law. People forget that about the civil side of law, which is where, IMHO, the money is made.
Seriously? My experience is that the legal secretaries do all the writing. They have boilerplate forms and documents where they just plug in the information - even briefs. Paralegals do all the legal research, secretaries do all the writing.

Criminal Justice isn't going to help you be a good attorney either.

If you want to be a successful attorney, I would recommend majoring in business so that you understand what it is to run your own practice. More attorneys have gone broke because they didn't know how to handle/invest their money or they spend it all on cocaine and alcohol. LOL

Old 10-30-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I go to a school that is 60 on the us news ranking. low, but not deadly low. Let's say the top 20 schools don't have well defined engineering and business schools and top 25 LAC.

How many elite school college graduates are there taking the LSAT that it sways the data so much?

I've taken 2 econometric classes which is the the pinnacle of the "statistical analysis" when it come to economics (one at the grad school level - the grad program is 50? or 40? in america according to us news rankings. low but not deadly low). pathetically easy and intuitive.
Maybe quant stuff is easy for you. I scored in the 89th percentile on the verbal portion of the GRE without studying, but I know it's not the norm. If it were the norm, I wouldn't have been in the 89th percentile.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YonqueD View Post
Seriously? My experience is that the legal secretaries do all the writing. They have boilerplate forms and documents where they just plug in the information - even briefs. Paralegals do all the legal research, secretaries do all the writing.

Criminal Justice isn't going to help you be a good attorney either.

If you want to be a successful attorney, I would recommend majoring in business so that you understand what it is to run your own practice. More attorneys have gone broke because they didn't know how to handle/invest their money or they spend it all on cocaine and alcohol. LOL
Ironically, business administration/management majors have some of the lowest admissions rates, too. Like I said earlier, this could be due to self-selection. Business administration is an easy major that attracts many lower-tier students.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:43 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I am working on my bachelors in paralegal studies and everybody asks me if I wanna to go law school then.

It kinda makes sense since I am learning about the law, researching, procedures, interpret opinions, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities