Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 03:54 PM

366 posts, read 727,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
sorry, I am a foreigner

Law is my passion (worked in the legal field in Germany for 14 years) but I dont have the brains nor are my English skills good enough for being an attorney in the US.

So the bachelors in paralegal studies is the major I LIKE the most. I will probaly get a masters in HR. I want to stay in an office environment but dont like accounting (I just dont get it) nor the MBA (too much math).

No problem. But don't sell yourself short. Law isn't brain surgery but it does require a different mindset. For many people law school just doesn't make economic sense. Especially now. Accounting to me is mind numbingly boring as well as business classes. I'm sure you'll do well in HR. And for what it's worth I think you have a good grasp of the English language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 03:56 PM

20,688 posts, read 19,838,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
No problem. But don't sell yourself short. Law isn't brain surgery but it does require a different mindset. For many people law school just doesn't make economic sense. Especially now. Accounting to me is mind numbingly boring as well as business classes. I'm sure you'll do well in HR. And for what it's worth I think you have a good grasp of the English language.
Yes, but there is a huge difference in being able to chitchat and interpreting a court opinion.

HR sounds way less complicated

Thanks though

Old 11-03-2014, 02:25 AM

14 posts, read 21,243 times
As a IL paralegal I can tell you from what I know that CJ is not a great job. Most people can hire a "Public Defender" lawyer for free. It's just not going to pay off. The CJ DEGREE will pay off in the Security Job Market for higher pay as well as for all Military or retired police in IL.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:33 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,214,830 times
Correlation is not causation. CJ is probably the lowest scoring on LSAT/admissions not because it doesn't prepare you for the LSAT (college majors really don't do this in general) or because schools somehow look down on it (they don't), but because people in CJ majors are probably not the highest IQ people to begin with judging by the LSAT metric. LSAT performance (especially) and law school admissions have very little relation to undergrad major.

Want to do criminal law or work in the criminal justice system? Then CJ is probably fine, just study for the LSAT and get a decent score. The CJ major itself is not the problem.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:48 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,879,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
economics is one of the highest? how easy is the lsat? economics is a joke (dual computer science and economics major).
OK, I see two possibilities:

(1) You are a genius, IQ 170 or higher. You very well might find economics easy.

(2) You went to a terrible school where economics, as taught, is a joke.

What are you talking about? (I am a trained economist.)

Old 11-05-2014, 09:47 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,428,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Correlation is not causation. CJ is probably the lowest scoring on LSAT/admissions not because it doesn't prepare you for the LSAT (college majors really don't do this in general) or because schools somehow look down on it (they don't), but because people in CJ majors are probably not the highest IQ people to begin with judging by the LSAT metric. LSAT performance (especially) and law school admissions have very little relation to undergrad major.

Want to do criminal law or work in the criminal justice system? Then CJ is probably fine, just study for the LSAT and get a decent score. The CJ major itself is not the problem.
I agree with everything you said except for how schools look at CJ majors. An empirical study was done on how law schools view various majors. They generally had a low a opinion of CJ programs.

Edit: I wouldn't steer anyone to a specific program just because they want to go into criminal law. Study whatever you want. CJ programs are not heavy on law. They are heavy on the sociological aspects of policing, corrections, and criminal behavior.

Last edited by L210; 11-05-2014 at 09:57 AM..

Old 11-05-2014, 11:02 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,781,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post
Well my understanding for law school is that any writing intensive major is good choice for law school. I have read that CJ majors have lowest overall LSAT scores. Criminal is only half of law. People forget that about the civil side of law, which is where, IMHO, the money is made.

I was always told philosophy was the best major for pre law because of the nurturing of the ability to understand complex arguments as well as practice in developing your own, plus all the critical reading/writing/oral argument practice within the discipline.

History, political science, sociology and english all were close seconds.

Last edited by Tinawina; 11-05-2014 at 12:02 PM..

Old 11-05-2014, 12:09 PM

4,646 posts, read 4,515,438 times
Out of curiosity, are there any other disciplines besides patent law that REQUIRE specific majors?

Old 11-05-2014, 12:37 PM

3,570 posts, read 2,505,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Out of curiosity, are there any other disciplines besides patent law that REQUIRE specific majors?
No. Even patent law only requires specific degrees (usually Masters or PhD in a science) for patent prosecution attorneys. Patent litigation attorneys can have (and often do have) any degree. Patent litigation teams do, however, often have at least one attorney with a relevant technical background.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:44 PM

625 posts, read 899,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post

Hey,hey accounting is fun!! Honestly, it's a different language and in college it does appear to be all numbers, but it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities